HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:11 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Question
How to power the camera?

So I got a cheap setup, but it works. The camera and transmitter run on a 9v battery. But it uses alot of power and the battery doesn't last long. I run my car on 4s lipo, and was wondering if there was some BEC or voltage regulator that could be wired into the ESC battery wires and have a 9v output for the camera, so it could run on the large battery and then I won't have to deal with two batteries.

Anyone know of something that can supply 9v to the camera?

Thanks, Zane
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:21 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
9V? That's strange. Maybe you could link us to the exact cam/tx/rx set you have?

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:36 PM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki View Post
9V? That's strange. Maybe you could link us to the exact cam/tx/rx set you have?

- Jeff
Strange, huh? I don't have a link. It is some cheap off brand system. I only use it for rock crawling around our yard with the Summit. And i just looked at the manual and you can also use it with 8 volts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:51 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
504 Posts
That's a good question. UBECs almost always deliver between 5 and 6 volts. Sometimes it's good to have other voltages for your example or for cases when you want to conserve energy by powering a camera or transmitter at less 12V. I wonder if existing UBEC's can easily be modified by replacing a single component as I've seen switching DC-DC regulator components for various voltages for sale already.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:05 PM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanley_nl View Post
That's a good question. UBECs almost always deliver between 5 and 6 volts. Sometimes it's good to have other voltages for your example or for cases when you want to conserve energy by powering a camera or transmitter at less 12V. I wonder if existing UBEC's can easily be modified by replacing a single component as I've seen switching DC-DC regulator components for various voltages for sale already.
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html
Found this. Apparently Castle's external BEC's can provide up to 9 volts. Perfect. And I already have a Castle link USB kit. Now where is a good place to get one?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:08 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
http://www.bevrc.com/voltage-regulat...own-p-112.html

Boom. Turn the screw until you get to 9 volts. Easy mode.

Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:34 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
504 Posts
The CC BEC looks promising. Based solely on my experiences in how much attention Chinese give to producing quality products, I would trust the CC BEC more than the BevRC regulator, as I assume that there is absolutely nothing done to suppress RF noise in the latter. I can't see if the CC BEC has some sort of metal shielding below the heat shrink covering though.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:39 PM
Agressive driver
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
I think I will go with the castle one, just because if it malfunctions it will fry my camera, so I want the tried and trusted brand (I love castle stuff )