Aug 24, 2012, 05:55 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Add CF to wings, and to horizontal stabs.Move stock fan location back farther to allow for more batteries.Change out elevator servo to a MG and flaps if you use them(I dont) Tac glue all the pieces that are held in with screws, it will make overall airframe stronger yet you can cut them off if you ever need to get back into those areas.Thats about all I have, and I have the strongest setup to date, and its holding up great! Joe
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
how are you adding CF to the wings? since it appears to have dihedral?
Aug 24, 2012, 07:40 PM
In the stock configuration, I don't feel that it needs carbon fiber spars. Also, I believe the stock elevator servo IS metal geared.
Aug 24, 2012, 08:16 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
He asked about upgrading the Habu with high powered setup.....I do not know about the stock servos, but I rather not trust the 1 servo that it comes with on hi-per setups.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=74
I am right at 3000 watts with crazy verticle, but it is never going to be a speed demon.I am at 125mph now (which is over 40mph from stock setup)
without thrust tube with my new 6s 65c3300 , even if I put thrust tube in,130s is all about its going to hit.Wing is thick,intakes are huge,and its on draggy side overall, but for what it was made for,its better then perfect as it flies brilliant for a foamy.
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Aug 24, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Aug 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe
In the stock configuration, I don't feel that it needs carbon fiber spars. Also, I believe the stock elevator servo IS metal geared.

I agree. No CF spars needed for a stock configuration or even a 5S upgrade.
Aug 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
You may not "need" CF on wings on a 5s or more setup, but that wing flex is not good on ailerons and servos as it will end up breaking wires at servos...experience talking.
I know this thread seems to have interest in stock setups and newer pilots to EDFs and thats great, I chose to start a thread on the building,mods and flights of higher performance Habu's. If anyone has interest in that side of this cool jet,read up on my thread, shows how you can have 6s setups that are not nose heavy and no need for any lead in the tail either.
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Aug 24, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Aug 24, 2012, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky
You may not "need" CF on wings on a 5s or more setup, but that wing flex is not good on ailerons and servos as it will end up breaking wires at servos...experience talking.
I know this thread seems to have interest in stock setups and newer pilots to EDFs and thats great, I chose to start a thread on the building,mods and flights of higher performance Habu's. If anyone has interest in that side of this cool jet,read up on my thread, shows how you can have 6s setups that are not nose heavy and no need for any lead in the tail either.
A modification thread is always a great idea. Fire it up, I will subscribe, but you have to post a boat load of build pictures of your mods. I would also suggest saving the first few posts as a "reserve" to post links to airframe mods, power system, etc.

Bill
Aug 24, 2012, 09:06 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
I all ready did a few weeks ago....
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1698345
Rather keep stock vrs hi-per seperated as the newer guys who are not sure about removing foam or alot of experience in mods prolly dont want to try what a few of us are doing.I flew a stock habu,and knew it was a great platform,just way to slow for me to keep my interest,now with red/white n blue colors it appealed to my taste more but was sure it was never going to see a stock second of flying...lol
Aug 24, 2012, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky
definatly interested in a thread of this type.

so no one has any speed/drag comparisons of the habu, VS the Freewing Cobra/ Hobby Lobby Rebel?
Aug 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Well, IMO they will all be about the same,EPO foam,semi sym wings ect.
It would be hard to compare them,I think the Habu spent a good amount of time on the drawing boards before they put it out as it is a really nice design, goes together with no problems and very easy to mod with alot of options open to hop-ups.The bolt on retracts are also no fuss and work great.This is one of the few foamys I am really enjoying.
Aug 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
I'm seriously thinking of stepping up to a 5s. The added WEIGHT of retracts has not been the most thrilling "upgrade". During my thread searches, I've seen many have made the move to 5s and have reported no problems with the stock motor. Others have fried theirs. The BL15 3200kv is supposedly "rated" for only up to 4s. I guess I need to decide to take the plunge or not. Anyone want to talk me into or out of it?
Aug 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe
I guess I need to decide to take the plunge or not. Anyone want to talk me into or out of it?
If you're looking for input from others, that itself is a big vote for flying the airplane as-is.

If later you want the greater performance and expense of upgrading to 5s you can do so. If you do it now and regret it you're already out the money, and if you cut foam foam out it may not go back in.
Aug 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
im definatly not doing flaps or retracts. gonna go light for the high power setup. its a grass field so ill be hand launching(another reason to keep light) and belly landing.
Aug 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
what kind of hinges are on the habu?
Aug 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
Parkzone junkie
The Habu is probably the perfect first EDF. It is nice looking, and flies very well when slow. It is not a speed demon and takes tons of work to go fast. I can't compare it to the hobbylobby Rebel/freewing Cobra, I can say that it is great design that does what it is supposed to do extremely well.
Bone stock out of the box, you'll still get 90mph so can't complain to much about speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
what kind of hinges are on the habu?
Foam live with hinges, tape on it as well.

-Brian

Quick Reply