HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:48 AM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Build Log
Tachyon - Foam Mini-Hotliner (full fuse, full wings)

PLANS NOW AVAILABLE ON PAGE 2

Over the Easter-holydays I finally got some spare time to finish another plane that was waiting on the pile of half-finished projects.

It is a foamy hotliner with full fuse and profiled wing. It was something that I wanted to build for a long time (since I found the "AZ-shrike" build thread).
Seems there are not so many build threads/plans except of the "shrike" on the net, so I based this thing mainly on the shrike. There is not much that you can improve on AZ-astro's design . Except of dimensions (59x48cm) I changed only a few things:
- rectangular cross-section fuse (was easyer to build)
- moved aileron servo to the rear for more room in the battery compartment
- made a "middle floor" in the fuselage that carries servos and motor and adds structural strength
- curved wing tips
- powerded by a CDR motor GWS 4x4 prop, 800mAh 3s

...see pics
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Last edited by chara; Apr 25, 2007 at 05:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:50 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Hey chara I looked at the shrike like 50 times. Tried bending that fuse and gave up.

Thought about making it square too. Fly it yet?

I told myself if I ever tried to make the shrike again I'd glue 3 1" blue foam together and carve it out.

Looking good.

P.s. Found my 40x60
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Apr 09, 2007, 01:22 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
dritch, thanks!
sounds familiar I have looked endless times at the shrike before I started this one.
I flew it couple of times now and I am very pleased! great performance! I am always surprised how much difference a clean aerodynamic design makes compared to those "flatties" I usually fly. 100% improvement in both speed and glide performance.
and it was surprisingly easy to build too. took me only 3 evenings to build it. I usually spend 2 evenings on a simple "flattie".

btw: nice warbird. love the angry face
Old Apr 14, 2007, 04:36 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
here is a little video of the "Tachyon". flew it again today and I'm once again very satisfied with the performance. would have never believed how much juice you can squeeze out of a little 12$ custom CDR motor wow!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...05#post7275108
Old Apr 14, 2007, 05:37 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
Chara, nice plane and flight. Is that the CDR hot motor that you are using? I have one on the way, so this looks perfect for it. Are you going to make plans for this one (I hope!) ? Dave
9LIVES1968 is offline Find More Posts by 9LIVES1968
Old Apr 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
Oh, and how did you make the wing? Did you fold it over or sand it to shape? What thickness depron did you use? Dave
Old Apr 14, 2007, 05:56 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Dave,
that is a kit CDR motor. I've wound it with 10 (?) turns I believe and terminated in star configuration. Have not measured Amp draw yet, but the 800mAh 12C battery gets pretty warm after the flight (on a GWS 4x4 prop). The motor stays relatively cold though.

Sure! If you're interested in plans I'm going to make you some. It was mostly "cut and go" when I've built mine. it has pretty simple lines so I did not bother around with plans but that leave me without having any plans to share with you guys...

please be patient and I'll make some plans for you with basic instructions. hope I'm finished by the time your motor arrives
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:02 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
OK, the wing is 3mm depron fold over at the leading edge and glued together at the trailing edge. there is a balsa spar (5x5mm) inside at ~30% chord. the profile is kind of semi symmetric.
The "intermediate floor" (would you cal it that way in english?) and the side walls are 6mm depron. pretty sturdy construction. the top and bottom fuselage coverings are 3mm depron. Tail featers 6mm depron. ailerons are balsa (triangle profile).

if you need any more detail pics let me know and I'll shoot some...
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:33 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
Chara, thank you the responses. I thought you had made a folded over wing, but it is nice to have confirmation of that. No rush on your part for the plans. My motor wont ship out until Mon from Cali, so you will have plenty of time! lol. I dont have 3m foam, so I might enlarge your plans when they are available to compensate for the added weight of 6m all the way around. On the wingtips, did you cold roll them into place or use heat to set them in place? Last question( I hope!lol), what was your auw of your plane. Thanks again, Dave
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:02 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,674 Posts
Hey you found a field withOUT many trees !!! :-)

Nice Flik !

Tachyon eh ???

So that must be 7 of 9 doing the camera work
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 15, 2007, 04:27 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9LIVES1968
Chara, thank you the responses. I thought you had made a folded over wing, but it is nice to have confirmation of that. No rush on your part for the plans. My motor wont ship out until Mon from Cali, so you will have plenty of time! lol. I dont have 3m foam, so I might enlarge your plans when they are available to compensate for the added weight of 6m all the way around. On the wingtips, did you cold roll them into place or use heat to set them in place? Last question( I hope!lol), what was your auw of your plane. Thanks again, Dave
Dave
yes, the wing tips are cold formed. Theya are glued together with hot glue and it seems that it helps the depron to keep its shape if you gently bend it up. don't overdo it or it might crack.
AUW is 224g with the 800mAh battery. It flew equally nice with my 1250mAh pack (250g AUW). If I remember correctly wing loading is around 35g/sqdecimeter

BOP
sometimes I'm not sure if she is not a borg truly. You know ... "resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated and we WILL go visit my parents... " no, no just joking (I really like her parents).
Old Apr 15, 2007, 04:51 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
I am glad to hear about the added weight of the heavier packs. I have some 3s1000 20cs that I plan on using, so even with the added weight of the 6m, I might be able to just build her per your plans instead. The assimilated part only comes when you marry her! lol Dave
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:20 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
LOL well, thanks for the warning then!

if you manage to keep her below 250g she will fly great. add a few cm of wing span if you cant meet the limit. that will add more wing surface and keep the wing loading at the same level (might also improve glide).

another thing to mention is that I've custom built the fuselage around my battery to assure a snug fit and minimal frontal area (less drag). so you might have to customize the hight and width of the fuselage parts if your battery is wider/thinner than mine.
If you know how to use a vector drawing program (like corel draw, auto cad or something like that) I could send you the original file which you can fine tune to your personal needs.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:28 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
No, I donthave a program like that. I have a copy of RastaPrint which will convert a dxf file to a pdf and scale it that way if your plan is a dxf?
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:40 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
....hmm... nahhh... or just give me the dimensions of you battery (milimeters please) and I'll change the plans directly.