Old Dec 27, 2005, 02:35 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Discussion
LEG 60" Spitfire build thread

Hey guys,

Got my Christmas toys unwrapped, time to start building. Actually, I haven't done much building at all. Jack Cooper from Leading Edge Gliders is in town and brought me a 60" Spitfire for a Christmas present. Yeah! Merry Christmas to me! Kind of.

The current build instructions need a rewrite and this is kind of an opportunity for both of us. Jack gets to have someone else write his instructions for him, I end up with a custom built Spitfire. By watching his build techniqes as well as tips and tricks, I've been able to document some of Jack's building style. So far I've got 15 pages of notes and over 250 pictures of this one build. These notes and pictures will all be assembled into a comprehensive build instructions to be burnd onto a CD and included in future kits.

If there's something specific you want to see included.....let me know! But for now, on with the thread!

Jeff Charlot
who is finally on the mainland
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2005, 07:23 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
784 Posts
FILLETS! I want to see fillet production. Seriously, looking forward to seeing one of your detailed build threads again.

Jan
jcarstan is online now Find More Posts by jcarstan
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:17 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,417 Posts
AWESOME, Jeff!
I have a 60" Spit from the 2fer and this is right on time.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:36 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Fillets are done! Jack figured out how to make 'em quick and easy, they'll be up there soon. Still have a bit more to do, posting pics will take longer then the rest of the plane!
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:53 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
Jeff you have great timing. My zero and KI-61 is coming from Jack sometime this month and now i get to see how to's before i get my L.E.G. planes. I also wanted to see how to make fillets for these planes.

Thanks
Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Dec 27, 2005, 06:36 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
Great timing on the build thread. I should be getting my LEGíS any day now from the 2fer sale. Canít wait to start building to add to the fleet.
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2005, 06:48 PM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2004
3,509 Posts
I KNEW IT.

Jeff Charlot - is a "Charlot-annnnnnnnnn"

FAKER.

I've met and Flown with Mr. Jeff and even seen video of him stuck on a cliffside. That's NOT Jeff building. Must be some "hired gun" builder from out of town.

BTW Jeff, Jan asked if the P-38 is flying yet.

OK enough goofing around.

Dave
what you are seeing here is a documented build completed in ONE HOUR AND TEN MINUTES!
Chief High Horse is offline Find More Posts by Chief High Horse
Old Dec 27, 2005, 07:25 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
DWA those LEGs look great! Also looks like you need one more! (Spitfire anyone?)

Dave, it's true. Jack did almost the entire build. The few times I touched the plane, he went, "aww, that's not good..." then redid whatever it was that I did.

If someone ends up with a Cooper built plane, they're getting something built to perfection! This guy is a meticulous builder!

P-38 isn't quiiiiiite ready yet! Soon though!

Jeff
Old Dec 27, 2005, 07:58 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,949 Posts
Quote:
If you move quick, you can glue the spar in with low temp hot glue. If you tend to want a little more time, you can use goop.
This brings up an interesting question or four: I've never used hot-melt glue for anything before; high or low temp. The reason is I'm unfamiliar with it. But I want to start so here are the questions:

What brand of low temp glue and what low temp glue gun? Buying the equipment is my first step and I would prefer to get the good stuff.

How much time do you have to insert and press the spar into place and how long must you apply pressure before the glue hardens?

It sounds like you glue the spar to the bottom of the slot and then come back after that glue hardens and inject more glue between the slot sides and spar and finally, between the two wing halves. Is that correct?

What is the cleanup situation once the glue hardens?

Pete (who has 2 LEG planes to build)
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Last edited by PGR; Dec 27, 2005 at 08:04 PM.