to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2005, 03:36 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
cockpit repair

Here's my tip, for beginners who expect the occasional 'heavy landing'

The weak spot appears to be under the canopy, there's less foam there because it's cut away for the canopy and then some more for the fixings.

This was a repair I did to an EZ* where there was almost no intact foam in this area, I cut the edges smooth and replaced it with new EPP but instead of sticking to the old design I extended the sides all the way to the top and used a flat plate for the hatch.

This make the nose much stronger, although it gives slightly less access. the same could be done by cutting the sides off the standard canopy and gluing them to the fuselage, then attaching the top as a hatch.

Finally the whole thing is covered in strapping tape - I thought this might be overkill but apparently the bit ahead of the repair is already splitting...
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:15 AM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Well I got the flight report. Nice, very nice. This is a much more responsive rudder than the foam one. It may be the perfect rudder, I don't know..... My EZ handled as well my old Graupner Terry (ERT plane) and without any sign of instability. I caught a couple thermals and the EZ was very responsive with the throttle chopped and did nice tight turns without losing alot of altitude. Two thumbs up.

BTW: I have a Dubro micro connecter on the EZ rudder horn. I noticed there was some slop and it was being caused by the horn hole being too big for the connector. To fix it I cut another piece of horn with a smaller hole and sanded it down and made a tiny bushing. I then CA'ed it into the existing EZ horn hole. Now the fit is nice and tight with no play at all. So keep in mind that the EZ horn holes are too big for the Dubro micro connecters.

RobinBennett,

Try the 3M criss-cross packing tape. It's tough as nails and sticks like iron.

Sarge
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Last edited by sargentw; Sep 21, 2005 at 02:04 PM. Reason: syntax
Old Sep 18, 2005, 04:13 AM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
I noticed the same thing also with the Dubro micro connecter. Also it's very hard to get the screw turned tight and hard taking the round locking plastic on and off. Is there any place that sells easystar type connectors? I noticed other kits have those Allen wrench tightening connectors also.
3d-flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3d-flyer
Old Sep 18, 2005, 06:50 AM
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2002
272 Posts
Wheels

I stole (borrowed) this Wheel idea from Shaun Hendricks. (Thanks Shaun.)

Here are some pictures of his and mine.

It worked very well. I have a fast brushless motor, ailerons and a larger rudder.

Having 2 wheels retained the stability that a single wheel (such as traditional glider uses) would not have given me. Rudder steered the plane fine.

A standard 6v brushed motor may not have the power to get this off thick grass, however the modification is so simple, cheap and reversable that it is could be worth a try.

METHOD -
1 - Put wire onto a couple of blocks of balsa (or CD case?) about 1/4 inch (6mm) thick to raise it off the bench and keep wire horizontal.

2 - Place Fuselage onto bench and make sure it is level.

3 - Push wire into fuselage, making sure it is at right angles to the centre line of the fuselage.

4 - Push tube over wire into fuselage.

5 - WHILE WIRE IS STILL INSERTED INTO TUBE (!) cut tube to length so that wheels will not rub against fuselage.

The rest is obvious. I chose to put wheels in same place as Shaun did - see pictures. This worked well and the plane did not nose in on takeoff.

Cheers - IP
Ian Pullar is offline Find More Posts by Ian Pullar
Last edited by Ian Pullar; Sep 18, 2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 07:24 AM
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2002
272 Posts
Light and simple Load Release Mechanism for Easy Star

Using a 4.4 gram servo and some thin piano wire I build a light (5 gram) and simple release mechanism for releasing parachutes from my Easy Star.

Can release 2 loads seperately.

Simply make a hook out of a paper clip or thin wire, attach it to a rubber band holding the "load" and stretch it to one of the Release points on the mechanism.

Moving the servo arm opens the release points one at a time.

Click on Photos below to enlarge them.

Cheers - IP
Last edited by Ian Pullar; Sep 21, 2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Great Idea you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pullar
......................Can release 2 loads seperately. .................Moving the servo arm opens the release points one at a time.[COLOR=Blue[Cheers - IP
Brilliant idea you have; and with proper servo "arm" length, strength, and stroke and spirals, you can do almost as many as you want..........

thx,
LarryR
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Last edited by LareeRudee; Sep 21, 2005 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling so and do
Old Sep 21, 2005, 02:07 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
IP,

How did you get or how did you make that cool cockpit?
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old Sep 23, 2005, 06:18 PM
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2002
272 Posts
Canopy Build (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentw
IP,

How did you get or how did you make that cool cockpit?
I was given a canopy for my Easy Star by one of my trainees (thanks Douglas) and showed it on this board. Sarge asked me how it was made so I thought I’d build a new one – and some step by step instructions.

I’m aware it’s a bit overboard with the number of pictures, but it’s a bit of an experiment.

Weight of original = 8 grams
Weight of mine (ex pilot) = 12 grams
Weight of pilot = 11 grams (but he says he will be going on a diet soon.)

YOU WILL NEED:
A piece of 5mm or 6mm (about 1/4 inch) balsa, preferably light, 100mm (4 inches) wide by about 250mm (10 inches) long.
A plastic drink bottle of suitable shape, about 1.25 litres (1 quart)
CA glue
Paint
Pins (10-12)
Knife and scissors.

Cheers – IP
Last edited by Ian Pullar; Sep 23, 2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 06:19 PM
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2002
272 Posts
Canopy build (2)

Now you are ready to glue the pieces together.
To get the right angles, place them in your plane and put a LITTLE CA glue in the joins.
Remove it, add some more glue then put it back into place to re-check it.

You may wish to PROTECT your plane by placing some FOOD WRAP on the plane first – so you don’t accidentally glue your canopy to your plane whilst building it(!!!),.
Last edited by Ian Pullar; Sep 23, 2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 06:20 PM
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2002
272 Posts
Canopy build (3)

Final Steps

Cheers - IP
Last edited by Ian Pullar; Sep 23, 2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 03:02 AM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,441 Posts
FANTASTIC IAN.

You deserve full marks for your build and photo "How To",
Now we all know how to do it. Thank you.

Cheers. Paddy.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Sep 24, 2005, 03:14 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
but i need snoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpilot
FANTASTIC IAN.
You deserve full marks for your build and photo "How To",Now we all know how to do it. Thank you.
Cheers. Paddy.
Ha, but I won't be able to rest until I find me some of those miniature Snoopy's......

LarryR
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Sep 24, 2005, 07:28 AM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
721 Posts
Brilliant!!

Now I just need to find me a Red Baron...

Cheers

Numb Thumbs
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Old Sep 24, 2005, 08:45 AM
Melbourne
Joined Jun 2002
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LareeRudee
Ha, but I won't be able to rest until I find me some of those miniature Snoopy's......

LarryR
We have a Scottish hamburger chain here (I suspect you have it there too) that gave them away free with certain meals, some years ago. IP