HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:52 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,224 Posts
Discussion
New wing design - easy and inexpensive

Hey, all. I know there are a number of DLG designs available, but I would like to publish one more option for home builders. I thought this would be a particularly good choice for someone new to building who's looking to get their feet wet with wing construction. It uses the HM51, which is one of the thicker airfoils available. While it won't range quite as well as some of the newer foils, the HM51 has some distinct advantages. One is its forgiving nature. This wing is pretty tolerant of pilot errors and has very gentle stall characteristics.

Another advantage is that it's more tolerant of higher wing loadings. Mine built out at 10.3oz and flies fantastic at that weight. This is particularly helpful for somebody who's building their first wing, where it's probably going to be a little on the heavy side.

Another advantage is that due to its higher thickness, it can be built quite stiff without the use of expensive materials. Mine has 1.6oz glass skins and is stiffer than my Predator wing. For all but the most beastly of launchers, facing flaps is unnecessary. I can launch over 180ft with other DLGs I've thrown (haven't had an altimeter in this one yet, so I don't know how high I'm getting it) and can't flutter this wing. Another benefit of the thicker wing is that you can fit larger servos. I currently have 12mm thick servos in mine.

Lastly, this design is only a 2 panel wing, which means less time cutting foam (my least favorite part of bagging wings).

So for less than $10 in materials you have a stiff, durable wing that is a peach to fly.

Here is my recommended layup:

1.6oz glass skins on a 45 degree bias
1.6oz glass root doubler 0-90
3oz glass tip doublers 0-90 (two layers of 1.6oz would work, too)
12k carbon tow along LE (optional "armor") under 1.6oz glass LE wrap
5x12k carbon tows top and bottom for spar, tapering to 3 tows at tip.

With full paint mine came to 120g. It flies and handles great and so far holds up to my launches without complaint. Again, it won't run with a Zone V2, but it'll float well and handle very nicely and can be built with a fraction of the expense and effort.

I haven't yet come up with a name for this design. Any suggestions would be welcome.

If you build one, post a pic and let me know what you think!

B
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2013, 06:54 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
4,983 Posts
Looks nice. You will find it flies well at 12-14 oz when the wind blows Like at Eloy.

Another option is a HM 51 center panel and a mix of HM-51 and Zone on the tip. Launches quite a bit better, and still handles the weight well.

Looking forward to seeing it at Eloy this fall.

Gary
GaryO is online now Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Sep 02, 2013, 06:59 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,714 Posts
B (Bill?),

that's a cool wing. I'll build one this fall, or maybe a couple, since it would make a good wing for practicing stuff where the risk of collateral damage is high, i.e. tip catches. It would also offer piece of mind in contests with little real estate, i.e. Poway.

Can you provide DAT files for the HM-51 airfoil - is that also being used on the Polaris?

Cheers, Charles

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Sep 02, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,224 Posts
Gary, I don't doubt that you're right. The HM51 isn't a great tip foil. I used it for the tip just for the sake of simplicity and strength. Very little reinforcement is required for the peg area when it's that thick. In fact, a 3oz glass doubler is probably more than most people need.

Charles, the .dat file for the HM51 is already attached in the first post . No, I don't believe it's being used on the Polaris. It was the foil used for the Sirius, the Polaris' predecessor. The Polaris spec sheet says something about reducing camber to 1.6% for the Polaris (HM51 is at 2% camber), and that's likely not the only change they made.

Yup, that's the kind of stuff it'd be great for. I designed it because I wanted to give the HM51 a try to learn why some people really liked it and I needed a platform for testing new vertical designs. The wing build was the quickest and most painless I've ever done and after flying it and verifying it's flight characteristics I decided it'd be a good option for someone new to building.

B
Old Sep 02, 2013, 09:20 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,125 Posts
That .dat file needs to be modified to import properly into Profilli: before the coordinates, add the name HM51 and hit "enter", then save.

Looks like a slightly thicker and cambery-er AG455.

For your carbon tow spar caps, do you precure them or are they part of the layup?

-Jim
(soon to be new to building ;-)
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Sep 02, 2013, 09:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,224 Posts
I wet mine out in the skin layup. I mark where they are to go with a sharpie on the back of the mylars. That makes placement pretty easy. I always put my spars on the mylars after wetting out the skins. I've found you get a better bond between spar and core when there isn't a layer of glass in between.

You could also use unicarbon if you've got it. Don't ask me what width, though. Pultruded carbon rods would be another choice. 1.5mm would probably be overkill, but I don't know how much smaller you could go.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 10:00 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,125 Posts
Thanks. I've got a bunch of 6 and 12k tow so I'll be going that route. You must have to roll the heck out of it to avoid a bump in the airfoil?
Old Sep 02, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,224 Posts
I do hard roll it after laying it down. I still get a small bump sometimes, but not too bad. If you don't lay them on top of each other they can be rolled pretty flat. The 6k tow would probably flatten out a little better.
Old Sep 03, 2013, 12:18 AM
Joined Apr 2009
1,091 Posts
bwill6, great lookin, plane you've built there! I admire anyone putting in the time and effort to actually "create", instead of buying.

This may be silly...but here goes....

I think there are a few scratch-builders within "driving distance", and I too would like to build (eventually), but I learn best by hands-on experience. I'm 47 with a good eye for detail, and very meticulous (anal) about anything I'm doing. Would it be "out of the norm" to offer my time and hands to a builder in return for the education I would receive in the proses?

PS, I live in the same county with the "dlg rock star"- Oleg Golovidov! But I'm not sure if he's building (from scratch) right now, plus a little apprehensive about asking.
Triggerhappy is offline Find More Posts by Triggerhappy
Last edited by Triggerhappy; Sep 03, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2013, 07:55 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3,224 Posts
I think such an idea is unlikely to be refused. The DLG crowd is about the most generous, helpful group I've ever been involved with. I know that if you showed up at my place I'd love to help you learn to build. If I were you I'd send Oleg a PM and ask if he still builds and if he'd be willing to show you the ropes sometime.
Old Sep 03, 2013, 09:25 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,375 Posts
Don't hesitate to ask my anything
No, I don't bag wings myself anymore. I had developed a severe back problem after bending over the table too much when bagging wings. I am really paying for it now and will continue paying forever
You can certainly learn everything about wing bagging from Phil Barnes's video, but of course a hands-on demo always helps.
olgol is online now Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Sep 03, 2013, 11:44 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,450 Posts
Head Oleg's warning. I too have muscular issues in my back from primarily lifting molds. Phil has a setup where his workbenches are at the proper height and he can slide his wings into the hot box. Building a proper workbench is well worth it.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Sep 03, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,224 Posts
Good advice. Thanks.
Old Sep 04, 2013, 03:36 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,917 Posts
Import to Profili difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
.............Another option is a HM 51 center panel and a mix of HM-51 and Zone on the tip. ............
Gary
I would be interested in some more details about this blend Garry. I am new to DLG and have only been flying my Versus for a few weeks. I've built many sloper wings, vac bagged and moulded, but no DLG.

I am unable to import the HM51 coords into Profili. Can someone help? It keeps asking for the name, while I have clearly filled in the field.
And where would I find the coords for the "Zone" foils?

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Sep 04, 2013, 08:18 AM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,125 Posts
Jim, see my post #5 above for importing to Profili. The name HM51 needs to be part of the file, on it's own line, above the coordinates.