HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:48 AM
Huntley, IL.
Joined Jul 2007
117 Posts
Discussion
Maxford - de Havilland Airco DH.2

Finished putting together the 50 in. Maxford DH.2 a couple nights ago. I couldn't find any threads here on the plane so I thought I'd start one.

I stole a Power15 motor and ESC off a plane I was no longer flying to save a couple bucks and attached a MAS wood 12x8 prop. I didn't put the dummy engine on as I wanted to keep easy access to the motor in case ... in case something needed to be changed or fixed. :-O And no machine gun or other cockpit details, kind-of just wanted to make sure it flew ok before spending much more time on it. I'm not a detail modeler anyway, nor do I have much spare time these days.

Since it needs quite a bit of nose weight to get the CG even close to recommended, I planned on using 2 3S 3200 maH batteries, in parallel, weighing 9 and 10 oz. I also added 4 oz. more weight in the nose with some sticky dead weights. Both batteries moved as far forward as possible.

Brought it out on a really nice Sat morning yesterday, held my breath, and hit the throttle. As I feared, my motor setup was a little under-powered, however the plane lifted off nice and easy. I had to get some aileron trim in and a couple clicks of elevator trim.

Once trimmed it seemed to fly really nice and stable. Mostly just flew around in circles but while testing pitch control (up) once I spontaneously decided to roll it. With not a lot of speed it dropped the nose pretty quick but I kept the roll going and got the nose back up to level without losing too much altitude. Tho I think I stopped breathing for a couple seconds being only 1 mistake high. :-O

I had it full throttle 95% of the 5 mins (or so) flight, which doesn't leave you any extra to get out of a jam, so I need to figure out what I can do to help that. Since I don't want to spend the money on a new motor I'm left with either a different prop or I'm wondering if a 4S battery would work better.

WS: 50 in. Length: 42 in.
Motor: Eflite Power 15 950 Kv
ESC: Eflite 40A Sensorless ESC
Servos: 4 JR22
Prop: MAS wood 12x8
Receiver: Spektrum AR500
Weight: 70 oz. 4 lbs. 6 oz.
Wing Area: 755 sq. in.
CG: 2in (5cm) from leading edge of top wing
Batt: 9 oz Eflite 3s 3200maH, plus 10 oz. Enerland 3200
AUW: 89 oz.
Wing Load: 17 oz/sqft at 89 oz.

Has anyone else built this DH.2 yet?
greyrush is offline Find More Posts by greyrush
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:15 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Thanks for the report and the pics!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
Huntley, IL.
Joined Jul 2007
117 Posts
Did a couple quick amp checks.

With one of my 3S 3200 batts the 12x8 wood prop hit 30A. With a 11x10 APC thin electric it also hit around 30A. With a 4S 3000 battery both props maxed at almost 50A.

But with a little more oomph from the 4S I shouldn't have to run it full throttle as I did with the 3S. Think next flight I'm going to try the 4S (sticking with the 12x8 wood prop). Only have a 40A ESC in there ... should I worry about frying the ESC if I hit 50A for a few seconds here and there?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:32 AM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,637 Posts
I have been looking at several Maxford kits, have not bought one yet....what are your general thoughts on how the kit is put together....anything a-miss?
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:34 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
The recommend motor is 1100 kv.
http://www.maxfordusa.com/u35425.aspx

So maybe an 11x6, 11x8 on 4 cell might be a good option.
http://www.maxfordusa.com/geebeemodelearf-1-2-1.aspx

This would look nice on there if you can get one in the right size.
http://www.xoarintl.com/rc-propeller...s-I-Propeller/
http://www.justmodelprops.com/xoar-p...-scimitar-wwi/

Can we get some video of it on 3 cell?
W
Last edited by TripleW; Aug 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:26 PM
Huntley, IL.
Joined Jul 2007
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I have been looking at several Maxford kits, have not bought one yet....what are your general thoughts on how the kit is put together....anything a-miss?
I didn't find anything of concern with this DH.2 kit. The covering was wrinkle free and had some nice clean edges or transitions. The sliding motor mount box was a nice touch (ie., easy to set the position/depth for any motor you choose). Plenty of screws, nuts-n-bolts, a lot of extra hinges.

The worst part about it all was the order of construction the manual prescribes. A few things here and there I did in a different order just to make it easier to work with the pieces before they're assembled on the plane.

I bought their 40" Albatross D.III a few years ago and thought the construction was a little 'thin' in spots. I didn't really think that with this DH.2., seemed like an improvement from the D.III kit.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:31 PM
Huntley, IL.
Joined Jul 2007
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
This would look nice on there if you can get one in the right size.
http://www.xoarintl.com/rc-propeller...s-I-Propeller/
http://www.justmodelprops.com/xoar-p...-scimitar-wwi/

Can we get some video of it on 3 cell?
W
Ou, I like those old props. I might have to get a couple. Thx for the links.

I'll try and get some flight video next time I'm out. I gave half a thought of asking someone to video the maiden, but, I didn't want to jinx it. :-O
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:59 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Cool Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:30 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
This a really neat kit and very intriguing. I was thinking about building the Rake kit bur maybe I'll just pick up one of these. how long has it been out? I noticed most of the other offerings were discounted a good bit but this one. May wait awhile and see if they come down. Couldn't possible sell too many of these. Just not mainstream enough but definitely appeals to my love of unique/different aircraft.

BTW Am I the only one that thinks the maxford pilot looks like Andre the giant flying the plane.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:31 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,890 Posts
Fantastic model greyrush - well done on a successful maiden, especially given how underpowered it sounds. Personally I would love their upcoming Bristol F2.b Fighter, though getting it into the UK and the likely powertrain requirements (6S) are both a little scary...

I would definitely echo other comment above - a 4S powertrain would be much better suited to a model of this size and weight (more volts and less amps = higher efficiency and lower current if propped for the same thrust). Obviously you will have to prop down to keep the amps under control, though I'd still say go to a 50A ESC - it would be awful to lose such a lovely model to a fried sped controller. If you find you're having to prop down too much and it's getting inefficient, the next logical step would be a lower Kv motor - maybe something like this will enable you to swing the same 12x8 on 4S? Best to stick it on a motor calculator and run the figures before purchasing though.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Aug 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 02:37 PM
Huntley, IL.
Joined Jul 2007
117 Posts
Thanks for the info MattyB. I definitely need to 'up' something. Flew it this morning for the 2nd time and nearly spun it into kindling. :-O

And Cherokee ... now I -have- found something amiss. I was keeping a third eye on it anyway, but it finally did become ... amiss. The tail skid is attached to the rudder, for steering, fine. But all the weight then is on the 3 rudder CA hinges. I thought they would hold, but alas, not. The bottom 2 hinges came out after, what I think, was a very smooth landing this morning. Only 2 flights on it. So I think I'm going to just rig-up something and attach the tail skid to the frame tubing to keep the weight off those rudder hinges. Won't have tail skid steering, but I think/hope it'll be allright without it.

Video of this morning's flight, on 3S.

de Havilland Airco DH.2 R/C plane by MaxfordUSA (5 min 4 sec)
Old Aug 17, 2013, 07:37 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Grey are the wiresmstructural or just for scale appearance?

THanks
Alan
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:02 PM
Huntley, IL.
Joined Jul 2007
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
Grey are the wiresmstructural or just for scale appearance?

THanks
Alan
Just appearance. Each side of the aircraft was done with 1 long section (should have seen me stretching out the wires all over the basement floor :-O ), and then a short chunk for the horizontal tail rigging.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 08:36 PM
Annapolis, Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2005
175 Posts
Grey -- you ever check this thread anymore? The Feb issue of Fly RC magazine carried a review of the DH.2 -- which pushed me over the edge, especially when I saw that Maxford was running a little "after Xmas discount." I appreciated your info more than that in the mag -- figuring you wouldn't pull any punches, unlike someone writing a piece to be published by someone who has to take advertising from the manufacturers.

ANYway -- I'm an old hand at ARFs and in no hurry to get this together (too cold to fly here in Annapolis, MD.) I thought I could use one of the motors laying around my bench, like you did. BUT, alas, they're all either too big or too small ... so I ordered one very close to the size, weight and power stats of the one sold by Maxford (but 1/3rd the price at Hobbyking.)

Plan to follow your advice and fly 4S. Will also avoid the problem of too much stress on the rudder, via the tail skid ... haven't figured out how just yet. Maybe will post pictures -- especially if anyone is "out there" on this thread.
Waterbird is offline Find More Posts by Waterbird
Old Jan 09, 2014, 09:24 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbird View Post
. haven't figured out how just yet. Maybe will post pictures -- especially if anyone is "out there" on this thread.
I'm out there. This one is on my wish list but my hobby fund will not be flush for awhile so I will live vicariously through you guys.

Please post any improvements you make.

IMO the Maxford pilot is too big for the plane. Do you have an alternative?

Alan