SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2014, 07:20 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
979 Posts
After a summer of trying to get my Lil Butch in the air, I have to say that my love for this plane is starting to dwindle.... I fly off of a grass field (not a manicured field) just a field, on top of a hill, with regular old grass. It's bumpy. It's taken it's toll on my little plane. Just like it's full scale counterpart, mine likes to nose over after just about every landing. It lands, and just before forward momentum stops, it usually catches a tuft of grass and noses over. The throttle is cut by that time, so no prop damage, but the motor has come loose several times, and I don't know how much more epoxy I can put in there. lol.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great little plane for the price., but if you only fly off of bumpy grass, I may suggest thinking twice. something with no wheel pants or just larger tires. It's a bummer too... because like everyone says, in the air, it a fun little plane to fly around.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:35 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Mar 2013
776 Posts
Definitely cool.

Note to all - if you're going to change which hole in the control horn you want to use on the elevator for more or less throw, take a good look afterward to be sure they are even with each other.

I made the mistake of assuming it would be fine... what a squirrely flight that was.. ended with a spin into the corn field.

I will say this thing is definitely durable!
ryane67 is offline Find More Posts by ryane67
Old Sep 06, 2014, 08:08 AM
Joined Mar 2013
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
After a summer of trying to get my Lil Butch in the air, I have to say that my love for this plane is starting to dwindle.... I fly off of a grass field (not a manicured field) just a field, on top of a hill, with regular old grass. It's bumpy. It's taken it's toll on my little plane. Just like it's full scale counterpart, mine likes to nose over after just about every landing. It lands, and just before forward momentum stops, it usually catches a tuft of grass and noses over. The throttle is cut by that time, so no prop damage, but the motor has come loose several times, and I don't know how much more epoxy I can put in there. lol.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great little plane for the price., but if you only fly off of bumpy grass, I may suggest thinking twice. something with no wheel pants or just larger tires. It's a bummer too... because like everyone says, in the air, it a fun little plane to fly around.
My club's field sounds a lot like yours, bumpy, inconsistent grass length, especially for a smaller model like this one.
Have you tried giving full up elevator once it's on the ground and then powering up just enough to keep it from stopping and taxiing it back to yourself? It's gotta bleed off speed a little more gracefully than just "hitting the grass brakes". To me it's just part of learning to fly this model...
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2014
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post

The Hobby King video shows it being hand launched. Have you tried that?
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:54 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDen View Post
The Hobby King video shows it being hand launched. Have you tried that?
Hand launching still won't help his landing problems!!

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:26 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
2,136 Posts
Sounds like you need a cub like mine with 3" all terrain foam/rubber wheels

Griphin is online now Find More Posts by Griphin
Old Oct 11, 2014, 03:06 PM
Joined Aug 2014
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Hand launching still won't help his landing problems!!

LURCH

LOL. You're right. That's what I get for not reading more carefully. When I saw the comments about grass, I assumed he was talking about take offs. Haven't seen many complainants about landing on grass. I wonder if slowly adding full up elevator when he touches down wouldn't help ?
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Oct 12, 2014, 08:20 AM
Joined Mar 2013
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDen View Post
LOL. You're right. That's what I get for not reading more carefully. When I saw the comments about grass, I assumed he was talking about take offs. Haven't seen many complainants about landing on grass. I wonder if slowly adding full up elevator when he touches down wouldn't help ?
That's the only way I get it to keep from nosing over, also starting to hit the throttle to keep the speed up on the ground.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:06 PM
Falling with style!
USA, WA, Freeland
Joined Nov 2010
226 Posts
Monocoupe 110 Special vs 90AW

I don't know why Durafly chose to market this model as the 110 Special "Little Butch", as it clearly is a scaled model 90AW. All of the 90 series had a 32' wing span with optional flaps. The 90AW version was equipped with the 145 Warner engine. That is clearly what is being modeled here, with the exception that the tail surfaces on this model appear to be scaled up slightly from the sizes of the original 90AW.

The 110 Special has a 23' wing span, and the tail surfaces were reduced by 30%, as it was intended for racing. And it was very good at it. It is also a very good aerobatic airplane, though I can attest that its workload is very high compared to contemporary designs. Its performance is comparable to a Pitts S-2A.

The 110 Special's wing is so much shorter than the 90AW, that the ailerons, which are the same size as the 90 series airplanes, come right to the fuselage (the ailerons are nearly as long as each wing panel). The wing struts attach to the wing at the same outboard location as the longer wing, making the strut angle very steep.

The full scale clipwing Monocoupe is a great flying airplane. Durafly shouldn't have feared creating a real clipwing model. I have a 1:5th scale scratch built model of my fathers 110 Special built from his scale drawings that fly's wonderfully. The design is scaled from the original factory drawings that feature no deviations for model flight sake. As a result, the model looks incredibly realist on the ground and in the air. And it flies surprisingly like the original. Dad's designs are always very light and strong, and as a result always fly well. This model is a glider, just like the full scale original.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy of the drawings, you may contact Fred Ludtke at ludtke@whidbey.com

Here is video of our old Monocoupe 110 Special finding its way back to our neighborhood:

Ludtkes and Monocoupes Reunion June 2014 (5 min 9 sec)

This is video of two Monocoupe 90AW's flying the airshow at the Blakesburg Iowa Antique Airplane Association Fly-in, 1978. The program includes a simulated air race. One airplane is flown by Harold Newman, an air racer of the 1930's. He flew many races for "Benny" Howard in Benny's airplanes, including the DGA-11, the "Mr. Mulligan" (which was quite literally a scaled up Monocoupe) in which he won both the Thompson and Bendix trophies in 1935. The other airplane is flown by my father Fred Ludtke. I am shooting the video, I was 13 years old at the time. Note that my father is shown giving Harold a gift of a scale model of the Howard Mr. Mulligan, which Harold later displayed with his trophies. This movie also feature some footage of the Oshkosh flightline of the same year:

The Monocoupe Men (7 min 7 sec)

Credit goes to my brother Marc for digitizing the old super 8 film, and editing into a nice movie.

Cheers,
Rick
Rick Ludtke is offline Find More Posts by Rick Ludtke
Last edited by Rick Ludtke; Oct 12, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 03:37 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Feb 2014
213 Posts
Motor on mine got damaged in a crash and the motor is back ordered on hobbyking. Anyone know of other possible motor options for this plane?
JamesonC is offline Find More Posts by JamesonC
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:48 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
979 Posts
I do land with full elevator just as the wheels touch down.... and it keeps it pinned down, but as it loses speed, it almost always catches a tuft of grass and noses over. I don't even try to taxi it anymore. I just go and get it from wherever it stops. More often than not it's nosed over, but once in a while it stays upright. Taking off isn't a problem. I hold full elevator and increast throttle quickly and I don't have any issues.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:21 AM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
782 Posts
Just a heads up. Anyone in Melbourne, Aus. want to buy a brand new in the box Monocoupe?
Selling one for $150. Comes with spare main wing, 2 spare motors and other misc parts from my previously crashed Monocoupe. Pick-up only. PM me if interested.
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:06 AM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC View Post
Motor on mine got damaged in a crash and the motor is back ordered on hobbyking. Anyone know of other possible motor options for this plane?
My butch has a slightly bent shaft from a nose over. It is very thin and bends easy. I went on hobby king and found one that was recommended by another use. The shaft is thick and it sits in the same spot as the old motor. I don't recall if the bolts match up though. The motor is a Turnigy Aerodrive D3536/910KV.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
619SixFour is offline Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:47 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Feb 2014
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619SixFour View Post
My butch has a slightly bent shaft from a nose over. It is very thin and bends easy. I went on hobby king and found one that was recommended by another use. The shaft is thick and it sits in the same spot as the old motor. I don't recall if the bolts match up though. The motor is a Turnigy Aerodrive D3536/910KV.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
This motor is still on your plane? Flies ok? Don't recall having to make any major mods to make it work? Thanks!
JamesonC is offline Find More Posts by JamesonC
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:23 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC View Post
This motor is still on your plane? Flies ok? Don't recall having to make any major mods to make it work? Thanks!
I bought it and I didn't install it. The vibration is not as bad as I thought so I figured I would really bend the shaft before a swap. I fit it next to the old motor and it looks like it would be perfect. The current motor is a bell type. The length of the stock motor is is much shorter with a long thin shaft. The new motor is a long motor with a short thick shaft. Much better imo. At worst you have to drill new holes for it.
619SixFour is offline Find More Posts by 619SixFour