New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2015, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by UofUDavid
United States, UT, Bountiful
Joined Nov 2014
20 Posts
Discussion
New boater ~ next boat hull question.

I am new to boating. I have a couple FT007s and FT009s that my children and I have been loving. We are looking to step up to a faster brushless mono hull.

I have been on Banggood looking at either the , FT012, Joysway Super Mono X, or DTRC Mini Little Pepper.

Would rather spend a little more for quality if the Mono and Pepper are better than the FT012.

Mono X comes RTR with battery and radio
Motor: 2812-2950KV

Pepper will require a transmitter/receiver and batteries.
Motor: 2040KV3100

Is the fiberglass hull on the Pepper better than the plastic hull on the Mono X?

What transmitter/receiver would work for the Pepper so I could have it running when it arrives?

Does the Pepper have a better motor?

Should I just save my money and get the FT 012?

Thank you,
David
UofUDavid is offline Find More Posts by UofUDavid
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2015, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,545 Posts
Hi David,

Both boats are entry level and come with relative cheap motors (and other hardware) to keep the price down.

The Little Pepper, with it's GRP hull is a nice starting point and (in the hands of a skilled competition pilot, like in the video) performs really well.

Be aware of the fact "there's no such thing as ready to run", getting the boat ready for the water (without sinking at the first outing) is your job, make sure all bolts are tight and watertight and set-up the running gear correctly.

Notice the difference in running attitude in the two video's, the first one is the 'promotional' video with a well dialed in boat and an experienced driver:
DTRC Mini Little Pepper RC Brushless Boat M445 - Banggood.com (5 min 29 sec)

The second is very clearly a first run; it works, but the boat doesn't behave as well and the pilot still has a lot to learn:
DTRC Mini Little Pepper RC Brushless Boat (1 min 23 sec)

(It's also annoyingly loud..., boaters like to be able to hear the sound of the boat, not rock music.)

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Last edited by pompebled; May 20, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:27 PM
Joined Nov 2014
20 Posts
Thanks Jan!

I have been reading a lot on these forums and highly respect your opinion.

I would love to put a boat together and learn to handle it like that promotional video. If I can do that with the Pepper then great! If spending a little more time and/or money up front would make a better end product then I am all ears.
Last edited by UofUDavid; May 20, 2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old May 21, 2015, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Joined Apr 2010
1,086 Posts
I think proboat and aquacraft make very high quality RTRs ~30line (monos and cats). Proven electronics, on 4S, very good fiberglass hulls. If you keep the boat on 4s nothing needs to be replaced and they are reliable.

I like 30" FE's as they are big enough to handle rougher waters, work great on two 2S1P packs, good speed (stock close to 50 with correct setup and a good prop), and they are the typical size used in NAMBA p-limited offshore racing. The hulls are big enough so if you want to reinforce them and upgrade motor and ESC later you can run stupid fast on 6s.

Check to see if there is a NAMBA club near you-- I thought sport boating was fun until I discovered racing!

Chief
BHChieftain is offline Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old May 21, 2015, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2014
20 Posts
Haha Chief ---> " I thought sport boating was fun until I discovered racing!"

I have a good collection of 2S batteries but most are 20C with some 30C. To run these boats I would need to have 50C per the website correct?

I have never ran batteries in series before. Would two 30C 2S1P batteries = 60C?
Old May 21, 2015, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by micromodder
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
860 Posts
If you want the SMX just buy an Atomik Barbwire, you can get them well under $150 in the US so you'll save $20-$30 compared to buying from Banggood.Enter "return" in the promo code area during checkout at Atomikrc and you'll get 10% off.I used that code this week on a 5692 Leopard and it was still active.

But Tower Hobby has easy pay.You'll have over $200 in the Mini Pepper before its running, that's a little over half of what I paid for my Spartan.You aren't much more then a payment away from owning a nice full sized boat.The Spartan only runs 30mph with stock nimh batteries so you don't need to worry much about the performance difference until you run it on lipo.I think I learned more from my Spartan in 2 months then I did messing around with minis for 2 years, the boats so big I can see everything that's happening.When my Super Mono X flips I need a video to figure out why.

The Revolt is also a very smooth running mono hull, it might be closer to your price range when they become available again.

The Mah rating also has to be factored in with the C rating to figure out what your batteries are capable of.

20c 1000mah lipos only have 20a available to discharge

20c 5000mah lipos have 100a available.
micromodder is online now Find More Posts by micromodder
Old May 21, 2015, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
2,674 Posts
Do you have a means of rescuing your boat? when you get into these faster boats they will flip or you will have some issues at times, it happens. weather it be self righting or not.

I would seriously consider figuring out a way to rescue the boat first if you can, then figure out what size boat you are comfortable hauling around before you make any decisions.
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old May 21, 2015, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2014
2,086 Posts
What Farmer said is pretty true. Him and micro have been telling me for months to get a rescue method down. Needless to say I've improved my back stroke quite a bit.

Tower hobbies easy pay is a great way to afford generally unaffordable models. If you can squeeze out the cash for a more expensive boat on easy pay then do it, you won't regret it. I started cheap, I got a barbwire, it was fun, then I wanted something bigger and more stable and got a shockwave 26 brushless, it got slow to me pretty quick. I got bored of the shockwave and sold it, went straight to the lhs and bought a spartan. I've enjoyed the spartan ever since and I still use it almost every day for the last year.
ApexpretadorGT is offline Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old May 22, 2015, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2014
20 Posts
I have been rescuing my little FT007/FT009 boats using a a fishing pole with a couple bobbers and sinkers on the line. If they are past my pathetic casting distance (I do not fish) then i tie a line with a couple bobbers on a one of my operation boats and go wrap up the dead one and drag it back in.

But you make a great point. I doubt my little boats could pull a boat as big as these without burning up the brushed motor.
Old May 22, 2015, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofUDavid View Post
I have been rescuing my little FT007/FT009 boats using a a fishing pole with a couple bobbers and sinkers on the line. If they are past my pathetic casting distance (I do not fish) then i tie a line with a couple bobbers on a one of my operation boats and go wrap up the dead one and drag it back in.

But you make a great point. I doubt my little boats could pull a boat as big as these without burning up the brushed motor.
Actually a brushed motor boat would be better for a rescue boat it's what i use to rescue my bigger boats brushless don't like to be run at partial throttle it tends to burn up the Fett's on the ESC.
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old May 22, 2015, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Joined Apr 2010
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Haha Chief ---> " I thought sport boating was fun until I discovered racing!"

I have a good collection of 2S batteries but most are 20C with some 30C. To run these boats I would need to have 50C per the website correct?

I have never ran batteries in series before. Would two 30C 2S1P batteries = 60C?
Hi,
You just need 35C packs, but they need to be *real* 35C packs-- I've seen some packs advertised much higher, but upon removing the shrinkwrap the actual C rating on the cells are lower...

When you run two 2S1P 35C 5000mah packs in serial, you get a 4S1P 35C 5000mah pack (add voltage, capacity is constant)

If you run two 2S1P 35C 5000mah packs in parallel, you get a 2S2P 70C 10,000mah pack (add capacity, voltage is constant)

Chief
BHChieftain is offline Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old May 25, 2015, 09:12 AM
Joined Nov 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
Actually a brushed motor boat would be better for a rescue boat it's what i use to rescue my bigger boats brushless don't like to be run at partial throttle it tends to burn up the Fett's on the ESC.
Awesome! being able to use the same rescue boats will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Hi,
You just need 35C packs, but they need to be *real* 35C packs-- I've seen some packs advertised much higher, but upon removing the shrinkwrap the actual C rating on the cells are lower...

When you run two 2S1P 35C 5000mah packs in serial, you get a 4S1P 35C 5000mah pack (add voltage, capacity is constant)

If you run two 2S1P 35C 5000mah packs in parallel, you get a 2S2P 70C 10,000mah pack (add capacity, voltage is constant)

Chief

Clearly explained, thanks!
Old May 25, 2015, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by 785boats
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,705 Posts
Quote:

When you send the rescue boat out to wrap up the dead boat, have it tied to the line on your fishing reel. Then just wind both boats back in with the rod. Saves a lot of wear & tear on the rescue boat.
Cheers.
Paul.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old May 25, 2015, 03:56 PM
Joined Nov 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
When you send the rescue boat out to wrap up the dead boat, have it tied to the line on your fishing reel. Then just wind both boats back in with the rod. Saves a lot of wear & tear on the rescue boat.
Cheers.
Paul.
I am embarrassed I never thought of using the boat and pole at the same time. It really takes a lot for these little boats to pull another boat through the water let alone pull a couple bobbers. Next stranded boat I an trying reeling in both boats and see how she goes. I imagine I will get to practice this this evening as we have a boat in need of rescue nearly every trip to the pond.