New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by leadpan
United States, CA, Eastvale
Joined Sep 2007
585 Posts
Help!
my foamy won't slow down

I'm on my fifth 3D plane and except for one; all of them flies too fast.
What I mean is; I can't make them flew slow enough to do most of 3D maneuvers within small space. It seems to stall when I slow down. I almost need a football field to get enough speed to stay in air. What causes this?

-props too big
-motors too big/heavy
-plane too heavy
-battery too heavy
-poor pilot skills

I've had Crack Yak, Valuehobby, Hobbyking, and Nitroplane foamies.
leadpan is offline Find More Posts by leadpan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2015, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
Unregistered User
United States, LA
Joined Apr 2014
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpan View Post
What I mean is; I can't make them flew slow enough to do most of 3D maneuvers within small space. It seems to stall when I slow down. I almost need a football field to get enough speed to stay in air. What causes this?

-props too big
-motors too big/heavy
-plane too heavy
-battery too heavy
-poor pilot skills

We need to know:

(1)Which exact planes
(2)What equipment each plane uses (motor, battery, receiver, servos, prop)

Also, you do know that 3D flight is done post-stall? You have to already be past the stall and hanging on the prop to do true 3D.
Eagle2Nitro is offline Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Youtube Channel
Old Mar 02, 2015, 04:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
585 Posts
Ummm..."3D flights done in post-stall"? I don't even know what that is.
I have 32" Crack Yak, 32" Valuehobby Edge, Nitroplanes 32" Sbach, Hobbyking Extra330.
Using 10x4 props on the Extra330 (my newest plane). The Valuehobby was the easiest to slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro View Post
We need to know:

(1)Which exact planes
(2)What equipment each plane uses (motor, battery, receiver, servos, prop)

Also, you do know that 3D flight is done post-stall? You have to already be past the stall and hanging on the prop to do true 3D.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by feda
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,300 Posts
Quote:

-props too big
-motors too big/heavy
-plane too heavy
-battery too heavy
-poor pilot skills

We can talk about theories a little here.

The lift that counters the weight of your plane comes from two sources: the airframe (mainly the wing) and the prop. Both parts of the lift are a function of the speed of the object (airframe or prop) traveling through the air.

The part of lift that the airframe generates depends on the relative speed of the airplane to the air around it. The higher requirement for this part to keep the plane in the air, the faster you need to make you plane to trave in the air. In other words, if you can make your plane really light, you can significantly reduce the requirement for this part of lift, and consequently the need for speed.

The other part of the lift comes from the thrust of the prop, i.e., when you raise the nose of your plane. When this part of the lift is close to the weight of the plane, you'll have little need for speed to "fly" the plane although you need to spin the prop fast.

In summary, to make your plane fly slowly, do two things: 1) make your plane as light as possible, and 2) raise the nose of your plane in flight.

Best regards,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Mar 02, 2015, 05:16 PM
Unregistered User
United States, LA
Joined Apr 2014
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Ummm..."3D flights done in post-stall"? I don't even know what that is.
I have 32" Crack Yak, 32" Valuehobby Edge, Nitroplanes 32" Sbach, Hobbyking Extra330.
Using 10x4 props on the Extra330 (my newest plane). The Valuehobby was the easiest to slow down.
True 3D flight is done while the wing is stalled and the airplane is staying up mainly on thrust from the prop.

What are the AUWs (All Up Weight; e.g. weight with battery) of your planes?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2015, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2007
585 Posts
Here's one of my attempt on my latest 3D plane.
The way it flies like any trainer plane(too fast) but just can't seem to slow it down. And when I do try...crash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D54...NLoRaqkw8ptQLA
Old Mar 02, 2015, 05:59 PM
Unregistered User
United States, LA
Joined Apr 2014
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Here's one of my attempt on my latest 3D plane.
The way it flies like any trainer plane(too fast) but just can't seem to slow it down. And when I do try...crash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D54...NLoRaqkw8ptQLA
It looks tail-heavy. Does the plane fly straight with the elevator level with the horizontal stabilizer?

Also, try a 2-bladed prop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2015, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by ryane67
I'll fly (and crash) anything!
United States, MI, Orion Charter Township
Joined Mar 2013
1,331 Posts
use a larger 2 bladed prop so you get more wash over your control surfaces.. just don't go too big that it burns out your motor.

Are you just trying to learn to harrier? That's done once the wing is stalled and you're going to have to work the throttle up and down while varying your elevator pitch to find a sweet spot where the plane flys while stalled... to keep it from falling out and crashing in this stalled condition you're constantly working the ailerons and rudder.
ryane67 is online now Find More Posts by ryane67
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by dalecheek1
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
3,085 Posts
Watch more of the utube vids,,,,,,,IT is Not the Planes .....Lack of experence and Throttle control.......................
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by one4midable1
United States, WI, Wisconsin Dells
Joined Jun 2011
25 Posts
Get a light rc epp pbf it will teach you more then any other plane.
one4midable1 is offline Find More Posts by one4midable1
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by spastic
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,304 Posts
use the lighter of the recommended setups, i see a lot of noobs (no offense you're a noob ) use a 2200mAh lipo in something that should have a 800mAh because its what they had and it's "only 4 oz heavier" the extra weight makes all the difference.. also you control speed on a 3D plane more with elevator than throttle, , keep at it! fly with guys who can 3D they will help with the setup
spaz
spastic is offline Find More Posts by spastic
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,634 Posts
What they teach in scale flying; throttle controls altitude and elevator controls speed. These two thoughts go a long way. A lot of high-alpha flight is on a stalled wing where your flying on lift coming from the tail, SFGs etc... The point made about weight is important. A plane that's too heavy will need to be flown "too fast," or "not slow down," because it doesn't feel stable unless it's going real fast. Simulators help. When foamies are not light, the CG matters too . Wing loading is key.
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ROLLING CIRCLE; Mar 02, 2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,611 Posts
Use the throttle control as another control like the other three. I see when you hand launch, your launching way past the wing stall point. Just brute power. Just for an experiment, hold the plane out in your hand as though you were going to launch, but with only enough power to feel it wants to lift its own weight. Now let it go like that and fly it around in this nose high attitude, using the throttle to keep it at around head height. The throttle can be precision controlled like the other controls.
Now all you need is practice, practice, practice.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 03, 2015, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by ahicks
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
2,159 Posts
Center of Gravity suggestions gained from instructions often lead to planes that are WAY nose heavy for 3D work, or even more advanced sport flying for that matter. The plane should be neutral, or even slightly tail heavy. Moving the CG back on a nose heavy plane will actually LOWER the stall speed. This is a lesson you may want to pay attention to when working towards slow flight.

Heavy (over size) motors, batteries and over sized props can all lead to the nose heavy condition you want to avoid as well.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Mar 03, 2015, 09:32 AM
Joined Sep 2007
585 Posts
OIC, that is great tip! I'll try that with my latest 3D plane...Techone Sbach342.
Yes, I'm am a noob so I ask the experts. Thank you all for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Use the throttle control as another control like the other three. I see when you hand launch, your launching way past the wing stall point. Just brute power. Just for an experiment, hold the plane out in your hand as though you were going to launch, but with only enough power to feel it wants to lift its own weight. Now let it go like that and fly it around in this nose high attitude, using the throttle to keep it at around head height. The throttle can be precision controlled like the other controls.
Now all you need is practice, practice, practice.

Gord.
Last edited by leadpan; Mar 03, 2015 at 10:14 AM.