New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by larryoakley
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum Variometer SPMA9589 altimeter reading

Anyone knows if this Variometer from Spektrum (SPMA9589) also indicates the current altitude? I know Spektrum also has (or had) an altimeter (SPMA9575) but not sure if one is replacing the other or what... for the project Im working all I need is the altitude reading but the vario is more than welcome though if the the same unit can give me both readings.
larryoakley is offline Find More Posts by larryoakley
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,836 Posts
With the Vario sensor you can select Altitude in the telemetry menu and get just alt reading.

Actually I think Andy once said the vario does better job at altitude then the altitude sensor itself.

Something about being more accurate.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
With the Vario sensor you can select Altitude in the telemetry menu and get just alt reading.
Meaning I can have only one alert at a time? Altitude or Vario alerts? in other words for example lets say I want to setup an altitude voice alert (reading every 5sec and warning if I reach 400ft) and at the same time, having the tipical vario sound/beeps indicating ascending or descending.... It is possible to do it using this vario module (SPMA9589)??? BTW my TX is a DX9
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,045 Posts
The altitude data is provided by the vario. You just configure the model as if you have both an altimeter and a vario, and it maps the altitude data into the right place. Then you can set alarms on it independent of the vario alarms.

If I understand what you're asking, the answer is YES. It's like having two sensors in one.

In fact, if you use the Auto Config function, it will detect both Vario and Altimeter for you.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The altitude data is provided by the vario. You just configure the model as if you have both an altimeter and a vario, and it maps the altitude data into the right place. Then you can set alarms on it independent of the vario alarms.

If I understand what you're asking, the answer is YES. It's like having two sensors in one.

In fact, if you use the Auto Config function, it will detect both Vario and Altimeter for you.

Andy
WOW... that totally changed my perspective in a positive way... so now for this project I want to use an AR636 connected to the vario sensor SPMA9589, is that possible?? or definitely I need to have also the TM1000 in order to have Altimeter, Vario and Flight pack vol readings?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:41 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,045 Posts
The AR636 does not current support external telemetry sensors. It only provides gyro data and flight log data.

For the vario and other sensors, you would still need to use it with a TM1000. But note the compatibility comments of TM1000 and AR636 together (search for posts by me using TM1000 and AR636).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The AR636 does not current support external telemetry sensors. It only provides gyro data and flight log data.

For the vario and other sensors, you would still need to use it with a TM1000. But note the compatibility comments of TM1000 and AR636 together (search for posts by me using TM1000 and AR636).

Andy
Thanks Andy for your usual prompt response, I hope the service you provide for the Spektrum RCG comunity is part of your KPIs if not please Iet me talk to your boss.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:20 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,045 Posts
You're always welcome to send mail about our employees. Victory Pete has done so. I send e-mails to the heads of the Support staff every time I see yet another kudos thread for them.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
4,469 Posts
Larry I can confirm what the other Andy said because I use it exactly as described.

I have the vario on a switch I can turn on or off and I can press the trainer switch and it will call out my current altitude.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by sinowace
Joined Feb 2007
474 Posts
Altitude readings

I just installed the vario/altimeter in my sailplane. The plane is sitting on the bench untouched and the altitude read out on my DX9 are not stable. The read out keeps going up from 0 to 25 ft. I shut off the transmitter at 25ft but I'm sure it would keep on going up. The vario is bound correctly and works fine. So... What is with the altitude reading being unstable ?
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Last edited by sinowace; Aug 23, 2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Error