Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Ben,

+1k!! I don't get it either. Can't imagine that implementing dual-channel aileron support from the beginning would have added much cost to the bricks. However - adding it now would likely require a fair amount of re-design.

Blaze,

Great info! I didn't know that the SCS wing has a c/f spar.

Joel
Yes sir, she certainly does! Its actually a somewhat flatter carbon fiber spar that is perpendicularly inserted within the spar cavity of the wing. Offers some flex during higher load maneuvers, yet is highly resistant to breaking. That's how my 2S Brushless SCS Icarus can get away with her aerobatics with the added power. By the way, she is still flying great with no structural integrity issues with the added 2S Brushless power. She basically reminds me of a Ultramicro version of the Carbon Z Cub with the high power to weight ratio that she now has.. without the wicked tip stalls of the Carbon Z Cub.
Blaze0021 is online now Find More Posts by Blaze0021
Last edited by Blaze0021; Aug 26, 2015 at 11:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Ben,

+1k!! I don't get it either. Can't imagine that implementing dual-channel aileron support from the beginning would have added much cost to the bricks. However - adding it now would likely require a fair amount of re-design.

Blaze,

Great info! I didn't know that the SCS wing has a c/f spar.

Joel
its not a stock wing its a completly diferent wing . if i need to cut the flaps an put them in i can i just thought if i modded the ailerons to both drop on one of the switches it would be nice. as for the wing its a 1/16 sheet balsa with ribs cut to the airfoil of the original plane and a 1/32 balsa top sheet and its prety light. i will still play around with it
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:51 AM
Joined Aug 2014
689 Posts
you can add a full lenghth carbon strip i did it on my last wing but the wing got messed up so i figured i would try something diferent and how is it that the sport cub s doesnt have the wicked tip stal that the carbon cub has when its probably the same wing????
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:02 PM
Joined Apr 2015
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ferret View Post
you can add a full lenghth carbon strip i did it on my last wing but the wing got messed up so i figured i would try something diferent and how is it that the sport cub s doesnt have the wicked tip stal that the carbon cub has when its probably the same wing????
I have both the UMX CC and my modified HBZ SCS in my fleet. From my observations, the SCS wing has a very discrete dihedral that seems to work in her favor for added stability yet still offers great handling in conjunction with the carbon fiber spar that adds some flex (variable wing under load) without breaking. The UMX CC has no spar but uses the firm wing struts that keep her super rigid, even under load. My UMX CC also has no dihedral whatsoever from my observation.

From my previous post, I was also referring to the much larger Carbon Z Cub that has the wicked tip stall.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Aug 26, 2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
John 20:1-18
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
11,948 Posts
Quote:
It doesn't really matter what your wing looks like or where you cut your flaps or how many you cut into it, you aren't going to get both ailerons to go downwards on a switch and still retain as3x on both ailerons.

carbon cub ss and sport cub s have completely different wings.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:33 PM
Joined Apr 2015
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post

carbon cub ss and sport cub s have completely different wings.
Yup!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
13,977 Posts
FF,

Ben is correct on both accounts. The CC & SCS wings are not the same at all. And it is physically impossible to get AS3X to work on the Aux channel with any UM/UMX brick - regardless of what you do to the wing servos & regardless of how you program your tx. The rx simply lacks the required hardware - and you can't do anything about that from the transmitter end.

The only way to pull it off is to program the brick for single-channel ailerons, plug an external mixer into the regular aileron channel, and then plug both aileron servos into the mixer. However - the added weight would most likely negate any benefit of the drooping ailerons.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Aug 26, 2015, 09:22 PM
Joined Aug 2014
689 Posts
i do stand corected thanks guys ..i didn;t realize the sport cub had slight dihedral and a carbon fiber spar . keep in mind one thing . i did have a brand new wing i did run a spar thruogh just behind the canopy . my balsa wing is rock solid and wont need any spars . i also built in washout wich should tame the tipstal a bit. I will go ahead and cut out the flaps for fun . and to keep it some what scale but i still might get another new wing depending on how well this one works.
as for what i was thinking it wouldn't work i thought i could adjust the servo throw or trim and do one side negative the other positiv but itl only adjust how much the aileron travels when i control it ??? i know sounds confusing .. anyway it takes a real man to admit when he is wrong .

thanks for the replies as for the plane now its wet sand and polish time. by the time this thing gets to fly itl be christmas lol i had to get a viking and pitts now i have to fly every evening.
i pplished the tail and rudder and put the tail decal on it looks awesome
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:46 PM
Joined Apr 2015
1,159 Posts
Quote:
i do stand corected thanks guys ..i didn;t realize the sport cub had slight dihedral and a carbon fiber spar . keep in mind one thing . i did have a brand new wing i did run a spar thruogh just behind the canopy . my balsa wing is rock solid and wont need any spars . i also built in washout wich should tame the tipstal a bit. I will go ahead and cut out the flaps for fun . and to keep it some what scale but i still might get another new wing depending on how well this one works.
as for what i was thinking it wouldn't work i thought i could adjust the servo throw or trim and do one side negative the other positiv but itl only adjust how much the aileron travels when i control it ??? i know sounds confusing .. anyway it takes a real man to admit when he is wrong .

thanks for the replies as for the plane now its wet sand and polish time. by the time this thing gets to fly itl be christmas lol i had to get a viking and pitts now i have to fly every evening.
Can't wait to see when it's done!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
John 20:1-18
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
11,948 Posts
Quote:

hey now that trim thing is a novel idea... if you have the right radio and the right programming, all you may lose is some aileron travel... that's an excellent idea worth exploring!
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM
Joined Aug 2014
689 Posts
you can set the dual rates on a dx6 and have the left aileron -50% and the right + 50% and when you select dual rates and move the aileron to the left both ailerons will go down I belive you can set the travel for a servo in one direction and also in the other its a versital radio but the flaps wood bee on the aileron stick lol OI will put the flaps on the wing bur my flaps will be wider and the ailerons shorter i will also program the flaps to drop slightly . just enough to slow her down a bit i also built in washout into the wing to help with tip stall . my plan is to keep this bird as my slow and low in calm wind, like i keep saying i have the pitts and viking now for highspeed fun. after 3 seperate 7 minuit flights with the viking its time to take a break
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
13,977 Posts
FF,

Again - NOTHING you can possibly do on the transmitter end will make the aileron servos operate as ailerons and flaperons when they're Y'ed together on a single rx channel. It's physically impossible because the same tx commands are ALWAYS sent to BOTH servos.

As I noted before - if you want flaperons, setting up the brick for dual-channel ailerons is absolutely MANDATORY.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker