HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:43 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAF23 View Post
Lots of good advice has been posted here so far, speed being the most important and free ;-) if you have the power. Looking at the wing area (or lack thereof) is self-explanatory.

Those who have read my stories about flying the real Merlin (albeit in shortened version) might remember it only flew thanks to a powerful yaw damper system and required pitch a stabilization system (SAS2) with stick bobweights for slow(er) speed handling.

If I ever make a model of it, be assured that from the start I will incorporate a stabilization system to at least have a chance to see it fly straight and level. There are excellent systems such as the Eagle A3pro, Ice-Man bluelight BL3GRC, or even the simple Hobby King orange V2 flight stabilizer on the market. They do not add much weight and are very practical for 3D flyers to stabilize their aircraft when they fly/hover at ridiculously slow speeds, why not use that technology on the Swearingen. If the real one couldn't fly (well) without, why attempt in in a model?

PS: If you fly Spectrum, their new AS3X receivers already incorporate such a stabilization device.
Thanks for the Yaw dampering info BAF . . . I've heard quite a few times how tricky the Metroliner is to fly. . . . Being on pins & needles on the maiden flight doesn't help either.
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2014, 05:50 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
Rain-rain-rain!

Here is the seven day forecast for Camden SC . .where I fly

The Metroliner is almost fully repaired, I might head down to Jacksonville Florida!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:55 PM
Joined Oct 2004
173 Posts
Did you fly it again?
mr_matt_II is offline Find More Posts by mr_matt_II
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:02 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_matt_II View Post
Did you fly it again?
Nope. .... . . The weather in Camden has been very wet this past week. . . . That flight field Is 110 miles from my house in Goose Creek S.C. so if I'm spending 60 bucks in gas it better be sunny and the runway better not be covered in 2 inches of water.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:13 AM
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
Metro liner video

Hey Chris, just saw your video of the Sabena metro rolling left on takeoff. Food for thought here.... I think your comment about maybe letting it roll longer befor rotation may be a big factor. Awhile back, Beech Bonanzas were placarded against taking off with partial flaps. The inboard section of the wing where the flaps are is producing more lift than the outboard wings , thus generating lift at too slow a speed causing the torque to take over and roll left. There were a few fatal Bonanza accidents due to this. So, flaps up on takeoff and go like hell before rotation. Us ed see metros a lot at Chicago Ohare , long flying projectiles!! Keep up,ypur awesome work ! Dennis Hlavacek
speed20 is offline Find More Posts by speed20
Old Jul 17, 2014, 03:53 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed20 View Post
Hey Chris, just saw your video of the Sabena metro rolling left on takeoff. Food for thought here.... I think your comment about maybe letting it roll longer befor rotation may be a big factor. Awhile back, Beech Bonanzas were placarded against taking off with partial flaps. The inboard section of the wing where the flaps are is producing more lift than the outboard wings , thus generating lift at too slow a speed causing the torque to take over and roll left. There were a few fatal Bonanza accidents due to this. So, flaps up on takeoff and go like hell before rotation. Us ed see metros a lot at Chicago Ohare , long flying projectiles!! Keep up,ypur awesome work ! Dennis Hlavacek
Thankyou Dennis. . the flap issue is the hardest one of all. .... .a Metroliner. Pilot says they always use at least 10 degrees on take-off. . . But after 3 failed flight attempts. . . I'm ready to try at least one take off with no flaps.. . . And a longer takeoff roll.

Thankyou for taking the time Sir.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2014, 07:32 AM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
The earler merlin / metros that had a max takeoff weight of 12,500 took off with flaps up. The 14,500, 16,000 and 16,500 lb metros used 1/4 flaps (9 deg.) But that was only to meet a required single engine climb angle. You could also strike the tail if you rotated early with the 16,000+ takeoff weight.
Parkk is offline Find More Posts by Parkk
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:30 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkk View Post
The earler merlin / metros that had a max takeoff weight of 12,500 took off with flaps up. The 14,500, 16,000 and 16,500 lb metros used 1/4 flaps (9 deg.) But that was only to meet a required single engine climb angle. You could also strike the tail if you rotated early with the 16,000+ takeoff weight.
Parkk . . ... . Ethan and I picked a real winner lol.

The smaller Merlin should be easier to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2014, 07:51 AM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Parkk . . ... . Ethan and I picked a real winner lol.

The smaller Merlin should be easier to fly.
The full scale Merlin was a little more difficult to fly than the long bodies but a model of the Merlin may fly better. Really been enjoying you guys builds.
Parkk is offline Find More Posts by Parkk
Old Jul 19, 2014, 02:07 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkk View Post
The full scale Merlin was a little more difficult to fly than the long bodies but a model of the Merlin may fly better. Really been enjoying you guys builds.
I hope so. . . They are a very good looking class of private-commuter planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:49 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,807 Posts
While waiting for the never-ending shower storms to leave Camden SC I'm using some of that time to do work on the second Metroliner . . Here I'm adding spackle to the outer balsa panel seams.
RCG Plus Member