HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:31 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2013
450 Posts
New Product
DTF UHF long range receivers & transmitters, using openlrsNG

Hi guys, I'd like to announce that new receivers and transmitters are now available. This is fully featured long range RC equipment that uses openlrsNG firmware. They are designed, assembled and tested by an electrical engineering student in Montreal.

More info and purchase: www.dtfuhf.com e-mail me: dtfuhf@gmail.com

The openlrsNG firmware sports many features, including:
  • a cross-platform (JavaScript) spectrum analyzer
  • configurable data rates
  • configurable channel outputs (4 channels plus 4 switches, up to 16 full channels)
  • configurable power output
  • completely customizable frequencies
  • a beacon mode that activates a homing signal upon failsafe being activated, that you can pick up using a cheap handheld FRS radio (north america) or PMR (Europe)

The hardware is open source as well and can be found here.

Links:
DTF UHF Website
Spectrum analyzer by cTn
openlrsNG downloads on github
openlrsNG thread on RCG
Donate to the developer of openlrsNG

Enough of that, here's some pictures.

DTF UHF is offline Find More Posts by DTF UHF
Last edited by DTF UHF; Jul 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
Regiztered Uzer
Quebec, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
476 Posts
Is the companion software open source as well?
Markz is online now Find More Posts by Markz
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2013
450 Posts
It will be, once it is set up for 2.2 and released.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:46 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Putting down an order for 2 - this was exactly what I've been after.
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:06 PM
Regiztered Uzer
Quebec, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTF UHF View Post
It will be, once it is set up for 2.2 and released.
Excellent!

Are you planning on making TX units in the near future? I'm currently using a self-built 500mW unit (dorji module) but I'd like to upgrade it to 1W in the (relatively) near future

Marc
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:11 PM
Regiztered Uzer
Quebec, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochaboy View Post
Putting down an order for 2 - this was exactly what I've been after.
Same here - I'm sure there's a market for a small and light OpenLRS rx like this

An optional u.fl antenna port would be a great option as well - much lighter than SMA

Marc
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:27 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2013
450 Posts
There are a few 1-watt TXes: Flytron's, of course; kha may have some available, that fit in an empty JR module; I made a few of a through-hole diy kit using Arduino Nano, but I'm redesigning it to use a linear power supply instead of switching as I've had problems with interference.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:37 PM
Regiztered Uzer
Quebec, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
476 Posts
I tried a linear vreg on mine and it was getting way too hot!

The dorji module requires 5v, so I'm using a DimensionEngineering vreg at the moment, but I know that Flytron uses a Traco dc/dc with great success. I haven't had interference issues so far

Marc
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:56 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2013
450 Posts
Yes I'm still considering a switching regulator, due to the large input voltage range. kha has implemented them on his most recent TXes. Also, to clarify, kha's design is different from that of flytron's, kha's implements hardware input capture for more precise PPM input.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:25 PM
Israel, כ"ס
Joined Jan 2013
151 Posts
Hi, DTF, just ordered 2 units thanks.

Basically I really trust your QC more than HobbyKing's and Flytron doesn't ship to my country with some vague reason.... plus getting analog RSSI is a plus.

Whats are all the other pins for? i saw ch1-4 are on the outer pins, and just signal, where do i power it from with the 5V? can you please ship it with the pin header for the FTDI as well?

What are all the other PINS for? can they be used for more than 4 Channels?
I will have PPM+RSSI and than Ill have only 2 more available channels, that could be one less than i need: camera switch, leds switch, locator buzzer switch (even that i do use the beacon on the OpenLRSng)
sevet is online now Find More Posts by sevet
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:23 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2013
450 Posts
Hi sevet!

To clarify, analogue RSSI is available if you add on a simple RC network consisting of a 10k resistor and 0.1uF capacitor. This filters the high-frequency PWM RSSI signal into a 3.3v analogue signal.

I will update an above picture to include the + and - pins. They are printed on the PCB. The RX accepts four standard servo plugs.

The RX was initially designed to be RSSI and PPM only, but no extra space was needed to add the 2 extra channels (and break out i2c for future expansion), so I added them to allow its use in 3 and 4 channel planes.

To use more than 4 outputs you will need to use a PPM expander or second receiver.

I can certainly attach the FTDI serial header for you - send me a PM or email me at dtfuhf@gmail.com to let me know exactly what you want, and whether you want the pins soldered on both receivers. Also, in case I didn't make it clear on the dtfuhf.com website - don't connect 5v equipment to the programming header. I will also add an image above emphasizing this. Plenty of people have burned the radio module on Hobbyking receivers because of this - an an issue worsened because Hobbyking actually links to and recommends 5v equipment for flashing their TX/RX. Don't do it!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 01:35 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2013
450 Posts
Thanks for the support guys I have 6 left!

Please post in here once you get them, ask questions about setup if you have them, and let me know what you like and don't like so I can incorporate your suggestions into the next batch!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 06:01 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,165 Posts
This product is a big improvement for the hobby, i will have 2 units (TX and RX) to test on our ZebroWings, we will do an honest review, i am really impressed by all the features for the small prices.

and build and tested in Canada, what more can we ask for !!

Good job guys !
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:34 AM
Israel, כ"ס
Joined Jan 2013
151 Posts
DTFUHF: Except for the channel output pinout why does it need v2.2 of OpenLRSng?

Other than size, weight and the QC which is enough, is there something other which is better/different than the original RX? what has changed?
sevet is online now Find More Posts by sevet
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:32 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2013
450 Posts
openlrsNG v2.2 will allow you to select output pins in a configuration menu instead of compiling software for a certain pin configuration. Also it has been configured for the 4ch's unique pin configuration. Compared to Flytron, The microprocessor is connected to the radio module differently. In TX mode, hardware input capture is used for jitter-free PPM. The power supply is completely different in order to be more reliable. A real TXD crystal is used instead of a ceramic resonator for a precise system clock and less timing drift. Additionally, compared to Hobbyking, the LEDs are the proper colour, and the correct (and more expensive) smaller-crystal version of the radio module is used.

And probably some stuff I've forgotten about...

Also like you said, it's smaller
Last edited by DTF UHF; Jun 18, 2013 at 01:53 AM.