HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:35 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
Help!
Browser controlled rover

I am going to build a rover/car robot with onboard camera that is connected to my network via wifi.

Here is what I have planned;
Onboard PC (running XP on an SD based drive with usb based video capture and wifi) with a servo controller for all actions (forward, backwards, left right, camera pan/tilt etc)
I already have the setup to be able to control the servo controller via a remote PC using mouse, joystick or keyboard input using Servo Commander.
I will be using a server (windows media server?) to stream the video feed.

The problem I am running into is setting up a webpage that will have the video feed and some sort of control to pass to the webserver PC so I can control the rover/view the video from any internet connected PC without having to install any software etc. I would really like to use my android tablet for control as well. Would I need to use a java interface on the webpage?

Ideally I would like to have the video feed and underneath buttons with letters on them that I can press with the mouse or use the keyboard to send the commands. It would also be important that the keypresses revert to "off" or unpressed if there is any loss in connection etc.

So, I have limited programming experience but am able to do all the port forwarding and website setup/hosting etc. and am experienced win RC, servos etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I need to learn to make this happen or better yet to some sample code that I can tweak to do what I want?

Thanks!
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
326 Posts
SInce nobody else has answered yet...

No, you don't need a Java interface on the web page. Pretty much stock HTML should do it.

The machine that runs the web server will need software that can control the servos. Since you've got ServoCommander doing it already, you need to check the ServoCommander docs to see if they expose an API you can access from the web server to do that. Nuts, they may even have a web server plugin/addon/feature. At least, that's a common feature in similar home automation systems.

Alternatively, you say you've got ServoCommander talking to the onboard PC remotely. Their web page indicates some kind of wifi interface to a "servo controller". If you know what that component is (I don't - I'm not familiar with ServoCommander at all), then it may expose an API you can use from the web server.

It doesn't look like ServoCommander has any kind of video capabilities. For doing the video, you may want to install something like a ShoutCast video server on the onboard PC, and then embed that in the page from the server.
Mike Meyer is offline Find More Posts by Mike Meyer