SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Question
Could someone help with my build?

Hi, I am very new to RC, and was hoping someone could help me with my build. I have read many build logs and "getting started" posts, but I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly before I spend any money, as I am still somewhat confused. I would like to upgrade to FPV in the future when I am ready, so I would like to have proper components for that upgrade too. Here is what I am about to buy so far:

Hobbyking Bixler EPO 1400m
Turnigy dlux 30A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2)

Is there anything else I need or need to change? Thanks!
SlimeDragon is offline Find More Posts by SlimeDragon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:13 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimeDragon View Post
Hi, I am very new to RC, and was hoping someone could help me with my build. I have read many build logs and "getting started" posts, but I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly before I spend any money, as I am still somewhat confused. I would like to upgrade to FPV in the future when I am ready, so I would like to have proper components for that upgrade too. Here is what I am about to buy so far:

Hobbyking Bixler EPO 1400m
Turnigy dlux 30A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2)

Is there anything else I need or need to change? Thanks!
If I were you, I would get a decent Ready to Fly package and learn the ropes before building anything or even thinking about FPV.

Think about the Firebird Strato:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...os-rtf-HBZ7700

Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:35 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

These days the term 'build' has got very much broader than when I started in the hobby thanks to the number of ARTF models on the market. People coming into the hobby seem to think 'building' is sticking a couple of wings onto a fuselage and getting some electronics installed.

Whilst recognising that many don't want (or are unwilling) to spend the time scratch building - putting a model together from sheet balsa and other raw materials - I would have to say that to fully build a model is to enjoy a most satisfying occupation which makes the culmination of the process, the flying of it, all the more satisfying. It is also cheaper - even with the low prices asked for far eastern built products - allows you to build exactly what you want and to fly models that nobody else at the field has.

If you ever want to get into the deeper art of model building and really find out what makes a model aircraft 'tick' then try building a kit or two, then progress to plan building and maybe even start designing your own. As they say 'the sky's the limit'.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Welcome to the forum!

These days the term 'build' has got very much broader than when I started in the hobby thanks to the number of ARTF models on the market. People coming into the hobby seem to think 'building' is sticking a couple of wings onto a fuselage and getting some electronics installed.

Whilst recognising that many don't want (or are unwilling) to spend the time scratch building - putting a model together from sheet balsa and other raw materials - I would have to say that to fully build a model is to enjoy a most satisfying occupation which makes the culmination of the process, the flying of it, all the more satisfying. It is also cheaper - even with the low prices asked for far eastern built products - allows you to build exactly what you want and to fly models that nobody else at the field has.

If you ever want to get into the deeper art of model building and really find out what makes a model aircraft 'tick' then try building a kit or two, then progress to plan building and maybe even start designing your own. As they say 'the sky's the limit'.
Thank you! Putting a model together myself and the satisfaction and knowledge that I would gain from it is part of the reason why I don't really want to go buy some toy RTF package. I want to piece together the plane myself and learn the in and outs of the plane in its entirety.
SlimeDragon is offline Find More Posts by SlimeDragon
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:48 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimeDragon View Post
Thank you! Putting a model together myself and the satisfaction and knowledge that I would gain from it is part of the reason why I don't really want to go buy some toy RTF package. I want to piece together the plane myself and learn the in and outs of the plane in its entirety.
You can still do all that, while at the same time learning to fly with a RTF.

BTW, the Stratos is no more or less a toy that the Bixler is.

Anyway, enough of that, Yes there are some bits missing on your list, like a motor and servos.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:32 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
You may want to read through this before ordering from hobbyking (as well as the section dedicated to hobbyking in general).

If you still want to go ahead then you're going to need a battery connector for the ESC (the ESC doesn't include connectors so you'll have to do a little soldering) and possibly motor connectors (the cheap 3.5mm polymax ones should work fine). Don't forget the Accucel-6 requires a DC power source in order to work.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Aug 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:46 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
Okay so you have to learn to fly AND you want to learn to build your own model.

As Gerry says you can always get yourself the Firebird Strato which has its own transmitter (of sorts). There is a lot to be said for a reasonably priced and bouncable model to learn to fly on.
Then while using the nice flyable days to get your reactions into flight mode you could use the bad weather days to look for a suitable kit and be building your first 'serious' model. By the time that is complete you should be gaining confidence in the air and ready for the next step along your journey.

You may have trouble getting hold of a reasonably priced Turnigy 9X transmitter anyway. I promised myself one as soon as Hobby King gets them in... but that was six months ago and they're still shown on backorder.

Many of your choices will depend on how much cash you can afford to spend on the hobby of course. If you have inexhaustible funds then only your flying skills will limit what your choices should sensibly be, but most of us have other calls on our money and so have to be more prosaic.
No doubt you are aware of the use of foam for modelling use. This is probably the cheapest building form on offer as materials can often be picked up at a local DIY store. Another big benefit of foam for the learner is its bouncability and ease of mending . It is also possible to produce good scale representations using the medium so that might be another route that could interest you. There are a number of free plans available on the forum.

I am planning to try foam for a giant scale Caribou sometime soon and have bought some material to experiment with but being one of the older fellows (retired) my normal medium is balsa sheet so this will be quite a departure. So much I want to do... so little time...!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:02 AM
Vallejo, CA
Joined Feb 2010
7 Posts
-Deleted post
falmaxd is offline Find More Posts by falmaxd
Last edited by falmaxd; Aug 25, 2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: -Deleted post
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
If I were you, I would get a decent Ready to Fly package and learn the ropes before building anything or even thinking about FPV.

Think about the Firebird Strato:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...os-rtf-HBZ7700
Gerry, do you KNOW how dangerous it is to give that excellent advice around here?
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:45 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
SlimeDragon, I assume you're looking at the Bixler ARF which includes a motor and servos. In that case, your list of parts is good. You'll probably want to get at least a couple lipos. More packs = more flying

As Eye4Wings mentioned, the Turnigy 9X may be tricky to find in stock... anywhere. It's very popular.

With regard to the suggestion to get a RTF trainer, don't dismiss it too quickly. There are a few considerations. To get in the air quickly and not worry about setting up the plane yourself, something like the Stratos or SuperCub would be a much better choice than the Bixler. Don't think of them as "toy RTFs", and certainly don't get caught up in the idea that buying a Bixler and installing a receiver and ESC is a significantly more "real" experience than choosing any of the excellent RTFs on the market

If you'd like to start off with a plane and components that will "grow with you", though, and you don't mind a bit of fiddly work (not much, though) to get flying, the Bixler is what you want. You'd have the option to start with a very capable radio and charger (as you've already chosen) and the Bixler can be a pretty good FPV platform once you've learned to fly... Once you've learned to fly... Once you've learned to fly... Which is the first step in FPV.

In any case, depending on radio availability you may find that the RTF route is pretty much the only option unless you want to drop a couple hundred on a radio.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀