Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:22 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
not so much old as small.

"hard way" is in the eye of the beholder. for me editing a txt file is much easier. requires 1/1000th the disk space and cpu throughput too. btw from what i can tell post #4 has no information on enabling video out. but your cfg info, wherever it came from, is exactly what i needed to know.
Text files can easily be written to the card with a smart phone. Very portable solution.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:28 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
yes, another advantage to txt files. in addition to my eeepc netbook i can also use my dos based palm computer to edit those files. the gui is pretty but not very utilitarian imo. maybe this will change when i actually try it.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
If I remember correctly your problem was a recording time of 15 minutes.

Please follow these instructions exactly and tell us your results.
1. Make sure you have v0.41 firmware loaded and are using the latest GUI v3.0.1.2.
2. Using the GUI, In-Camera format your card.
3. Using the GUI, set the default values (Valeurs par défaut)) and make sure that Video-Out (Sortie vidéo TV) is OFF.
4. Disconnect your camera.
5. Start recording and now connect your camera to an external power supply or your PC.

Wait until your card is full (4GB = ~70 minutes).
Check the file lengths. If they are correct, there is a problem with your battery. If you only have a 15 minutes video, then you may have a problem with your card.
I did what you said. Now it saves 31min. However, connected, movie all the time so it must be the battery. Only 30min is low don't you think?
hadescedric is offline Find More Posts by hadescedric
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:38 PM
Italy
Joined Mar 2009
128 Posts
Ok, I did some tests.

1) during that I reverse the polarity of the external battery and black smoke come out

2) I can confirm that the reverse polarity don't kill the whole camera but only the charging circuit

3) before and after the smoke I testet that with external 5v (without battery connected) the camera works well

I think probably I did a reverse polarity during some test before and I didn't notice it.

Is there any way to bypass the charging circuit and power the camera with 1s lipo? I dont matter about shut down because as I told this battery will be shared with the rc "toy" so the cut off will be noticed from the rc..
The only workaround is the step-up but I don't want to add weight!

not103 is offline Find More Posts by not103
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:38 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadescedric View Post
I did what you said. Now it saves 31min. However, connected, movie all the time so it must be the battery. Only 30min is low don't you think?
Yes, a good new battery should give 40-45 minutes.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Last edited by airmob; Sep 18, 2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: correct reply
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by not103 View Post
Ok, I did some tests.

1) during that I reverse the polarity of the external battery and black smoke come out

2) I can confirm that the reverse polarity don't kill the whole camera but only the charging circuit

3) before and after the smoke I testet that with external 5v (without battery connected) the camera works well

I think probably I did a reverse polarity during some test before and I didn't notice it.

Is there any way to bypass the charging circuit and power the camera with 1s lipo? I dont matter about shut down because as I told this battery will be shared with the rc "toy" so the cut off will be noticed from the rc..
The only workaround is the step-up but I don't want to add weight!

If you are going to power the camera with a 1S lipo, do it straight into the internal battery plug. Just remember to unplug the battery from the camera when not in use for long periods of time (it will draw a small amount of power even when turned off). You be charging with an external dedicated lipo charger any way, and your aircraft will have the LVC covered (it will not fly!). The camera will draw about 300 mA while recording, so you need to factor that into your planning for the battery size. This will drop the battery voltage under load, too, so you will not be able to fly and power the camera at the same throttle setting that you would with the camera powered by it's own internal cell. A higher throttle point will be needed and flight time will diminish.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:09 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
Yes, a good new battery should give 40-45 minutes.
This is true after a number of initial charge cycles. Mine only delivered about 35 min. on the initial charge, but ramped up to 43 min. after several charge cycles.

Also, Video Out must be turned OFF. Even if not being used, it will diminsh the recording time down to about 35 min. Ditto for the Video Data Rate... must be set to 7Mbps. The higher data rate will also consume more power and decrease recording time slightly with video having complex scenes with lots of detail, contrast, and motion.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
OK, you've confirmed the battery is indeed incapable of powering the camera... it will shut down when the voltage drops to about 3.7V (+ or-). I hope that is a typo (.34V) and you really meant 3.4V. The battery protection circuit should stop all battery current when the voltage drops to just under 3V). If it's truly .34V, the battery is wasted... throw it away after shorting the terminals to make sure it is fully dead!. The current when recording is close to 300 mV.

You may just have a defective camera. In that case, contact your vendor for a replacement.

If the camera is not responding to any button presses, do a cold boot (disconnect the battery, wait 30 seconds, then reconnect and restart the camera.)
I'm afraid that the voltage was 0.34V aka 340mV, and hence I concluded that the battery was probably fried and I replaced it.

What puzzles me, is that when I first received the camera it seemed to work. I only did one or two recordings before abondoning it for the "red lens" version for a while. I think the time from assembly/stocking/shipping/receiving and filming first video should have toasted the battery. Unless the problem developed after I received the camera.

Strange....
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,415 Posts
Hmmm, from brand new mine only gets 25 minutes maximum
It's now on about it's tenth charge, any ideas on that you guys ?

Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:44 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
Hmmm, from brand new mine only gets 25 minutes maximum
It's now on about it's tenth charge, any ideas on that you guys ?

I changed and discharged mine about 5 times before I got 40-45 min...

I put the battery on a lipo charger and let it cycle charge/ discharge at .5c
I tried another battery at 1c charge/ 2c discharge and got about the same results...

Ill probably order a few batteries to change out since I usually Fly for 1-2 hours at a time, but ill try running 5v from a BEC first...
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
I played with the advanced settings on page three for several days and am back to all 'normal' for now. I was hoping for less contrast in the woods, where lighting is complex, and just a bit more color overall. The settings either had no discernable effect or too much effect. The daylight setting made everything noticably yellow and reduced some detail in the process. The 'warmer' and 'cooler' settings seemed to make no difference.

The best thing about the new configuration tool is it's faster and no more fiddling with time synchronization.

A change I made recently, unrelated to the above was to reduce frame size from 1280x720 to 848x480. Don't assume the higher resolution is superior for your kind of shots without testing. My camera is often bouncing around a lot with complicated backgrounds that change fast. I'm getting the same accuracy at the lower resolution and a higher percentage of the frames seem to be unblurred.

Sony has just come out with a 3oz. action cam that looks interesting. Among other things I like, it has anti shake. I'd get one except--it's way too big. I can carry the #16 all the time and never notice it's there.
flying circus is offline Find More Posts by flying circus
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:37 AM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Thank You.

Isoprop, Thanks. Tom, Thanks. Is there a Paypal donation link for you guys? You have seriously just made this camera even more useful and an even better bargain for guys like me.. Ive been using this camera on my helmet like a GoPro to record motorcycle riding footage through twisties with my buds. With fw 0.41beta and lens D, this camera has become even more useful.

I have a quick question though regarding battery life.. Is there any other known brand of lipo battery with a higher capacity that I could swap out to increase the recording time, without using an external source? I really want to be able to record 1.5 to 2 hrs of footage off of one single charge..

Thanks again fellas for your hard work on this camera.
demologik is offline Find More Posts by demologik
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:58 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Agreed. The efforts of the Developer, Isoprop and Tom have yielded us a brilliant little camera. Thanks to you all!

I have a couple of questions:

Does any of the image options in fw 0.41 negate the blue to grey sky bug? I was intending to experiment but thought I'd ask first. (Tom, in your side by side comparison vids I was willing you to point the cameras up at that big blue sky you have!)

Secondly, more of a suggestion. How about when it's time for #16 v3 could the charging current by upped to similar to a #11? This is much more useful for field charging and does not seem to adversely effect the life cycle of the lipos.

Thanks Again,

Simon
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:04 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
576 Posts
I started to use from receiver to mini USB charing lead during the video recording. So I do not have limit of battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Agreed. The efforts of the Developer, Isoprop and Tom have yielded us a brilliant little camera. Thanks to you all!

I have a couple of questions:

Does any of the image options in fw 0.41 negate the blue to grey sky bug? I was intending to experiment but thought I'd ask first. (Tom, in your side by side comparison vids I was willing you to point the cameras up at that big blue sky you have!)

Secondly, more of a suggestion. How about when it's time for #16 v3 could the charging current by upped to similar to a #11? This is much more useful for field charging and does not seem to adversely effect the life cycle of the lipos.

Thanks Again,

Simon
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotografie View Post
Where and how are you mounting your camera? Are you running off the battery, or wired to the bike for power?

I'm putting together a setup to power the camera from the two pin connector to the bike battery that's normally used for the battery tender, and using a cigarette lighter to USB adapter to provide the 5V to the camera. This will allow for about 5 hours of recording with the 16GB memory. I'm mounting the camera on the trunk (it's a Goldwing) with painters tape until I can find a better solution for the front and back of the bike.

It's first real test is this Sunday going up Mt Baker.
Camera is attached to helmet via hook and loop tape strip provided with camera. Been up to 100 mph+ and camera stays put. Attached key chain loop onto camera with small leash attached to helmet just in case it tries to come off.. I am considering a similar usb setup with my camera, as well.. I have two V2's one with the newer D lens and one without.
demologik is offline Find More Posts by demologik