HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:15 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,104 Posts
I like the latest update to the Beta!
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:04 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,662 Posts
Yeah, blue is my favorite color ...so I am digging the left hand margin block in blue.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:34 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Left hand margin color is OK, but still way too much space taken up (vertically) with details... still only 3-4 single line posts in my screen... should be at least twice that many. The blue box can be cut in half by eliminating info that adds no value, like "xx miles from you", and the search and post icons can be in the users blog page, ditto for the "date joined". Location and posts info can be placed to the right of the avatar.

Still no horizontal line separators between topics on the "My RCGroups" page. Please fix these, then maybe it would be worth using the new eye candy.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 04, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:22 PM
free bird
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
I like this new version… looks more classy and fun! However I do agree with tom regarding the left margin size would it not be possible to move the mouse cursor over the image to expand the full details without the need to click if you know what I mean!?
Mickey D is offline Find More Posts by Mickey D
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:24 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Yep, I'm enjoying this new style - feels slick, runs fairly quick on FF Ubuntu combination - hope it stays around

*edit: Forgot to mention, I prefer the adaptive-width, because on a 24" display it's a loooong way to turn your head to read each line; I prefer the narrower profile, then only my eyeballs have to move, signed, Batman.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:29 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jun 2009
153 Posts
Looking good.

Also +1 on Tom Frank's suggestion
TyeeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TyeeFlyer
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:38 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,104 Posts
Frank's suggestion is fine, but I like the "XXX Miles from you" line because it helpful when shopping the classifieds and well as knowing quickly who nearby without have to think about where a certain city is.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:11 AM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
Frank's suggestion is fine, but I like the "XXX Miles from you" line because it helpful when shopping the classifieds and well as knowing quickly who nearby without have to think about where a certain city is.
+1, very helpful.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:05 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jun 2009
153 Posts
Yes I agree. In my opinion, the avatar box should change size/content depending on length of content in the post. Also, it would be nice to be able to expand it for full details if you were looking at a short post with a small avatar box.
TyeeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TyeeFlyer
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:53 PM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
There is one problem with the name next to the avatar; it will not work if you have a name like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

I think it should only be the Name, Avatar and Online Light! Until the mouse cursor is moved over the margin to reveal the full details, and when mouse is moved out of the box it returns to compact size!
Mickey D is offline Find More Posts by Mickey D
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
There is one problem with the name next to the avatar; it will not work if you have a name like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

I think it should only be the Name, Avatar and Online Light! Until the mouse cursor is moved over the margin to reveal the full details, and when mouse is moved out of the box it returns to compact size!
Yeah, I considered the long names an issue... but they could put a limit on how many characters are allowed (or displayed). But I like your idea better, maybe a slight variation by not modifying the blue box, but rather just have a small pop-up open with the rest of the data in it when the mouse is hovered over the avatar or name, like the tool tips that pop up when the mouse is over buttons in a program, then disappear when the mouse is move away.

I still think they should use underlining rather than blue color for when links are attached to text. I used blue text to indicate changes added to my thread posts, and had a few people say their colorblindness could not discern the difference. But they could see green as being different, so I switched to using green instead. If not going back to the underlining linked text like the current format, they should at least consider using green instead ofblue.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:38 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,329 Posts
Latest beta is great! thanks for all the hard work.
llbr22 is offline Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:59 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,496 Posts
Still trying to get a liking for the colors when in fluidity mode.

When viewing a thread, the blue box on the right is just too dark and distracting. How about trying a gray dirivative in that box. Work with shades of gray for the box and the bar. Experiment with sheen/gloss/flat and build a frame that delineates the screen and is a place holder for the words in a post.

I like the gray bar however the white background for the post area could be dulled a bit, as in kill the sheen/gloss and then darken the font color. Try to get a soft look with appropriate contrast. Might want to go to a cream color for the background.

When on the big board and forum page, the light background is too bright for my eyes and the light gray/shadeing makes me to want to focus and refocus on the page. The big board seems to right-angle to me. Try to soften up the area with curves instead of right-angles for the corners. Just slightly round the corners.

On the big board/front page instead of using the Terry logo beside each board, use an appropriate icon for that section. If in the Glider/Sailplane section use a glider icon, if in electric planes then use a motorised plane icon, etc. I am sure some are attached to Terry but Terry really does not add anything to the front page as far as defining subject matter for a board and new threads for a board.

Consider coming up with several beta skins and offering those as options for folks to try. Somewhere in the mix a good combination will come from users comments. Even then, consider after all is said and done, to offer a handfull of skin options for members to choose from.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Nov 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:46 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
"Advanced File Upload - NEW!
Our advanced file uploader requires Flash plugin"

Flash is dead! iPhone friendly attachments please
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:09 AM
free bird