SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:37 PM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
Discussion
Servos

I am electrifying a previously built Sagitta. Wings have older Hitec Micro servos already installed. I have a Spektum DX7 Tx & Rx. The existing Hitec's have the old connectors. Is there any reason I cannot replace the connectors and use these servos. I have found a set of female connectors for @ $10. Or, would I be better off to just buy new servos. I do not want to spend a lot to redo this plane, so inexpensive servos for the spoilers would have to work.

If it is better to replace the servos, suggestions would be welcomed.

I further am assuming that the old servos would work with my DX7 system. Am I correct in that assumption?
Jack McC is online now Find More Posts by Jack McC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:28 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,079 Posts
Servos are generally fairly interchangeable. If they are not too old (< 15 years?), and are three-wire, they ought to work. Are you sure you need new connectors? If there is a flange on them that prevents plugging into your new receiver, you can probably remove it. Modern servos are not damaged if plugged in backwards. They will simply not respond.

If you must replace your servos, prices have come down a great deal. Many excellent ones are available for less than $10.00.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:29 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,334 Posts
yes old servos will work with new radios. as long as they are regulated to 6v or under.
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:45 PM
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
Spoke to Hitec and Airtronics (have 2 of those as well) and they both indicated that it should not be a problem. Yes, will need new connectors as these have the old style large pins. They both are 3 wire. I assume they are less than 15 yrs old, but should get that confirmed shortly.

Thanks for the input.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:19 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,557 Posts
What do you mean large pins? Servo connectors are female, the RX is where the pins are.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2010
74 Posts
Chuck,
The builder replaced the original connectors with Dean's and installed the male in the wing panel. It plugged into the female in the fuse. Learned that the servos are about 6 yrs old. Should be able to use all the servos, both the Hitec and the Airtronics.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:08 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McC View Post
Chuck,
The builder replaced the original connectors with Dean's and installed the male in the wing panel. It plugged into the female in the fuse. Learned that the servos are about 6 yrs old. Should be able to use all the servos, both the Hitec and the Airtronics.
Thanks, that clears it up for me.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck