HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:36 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,390 Posts
Discussion
UMX inspired Yak

Inspired by the new e-flite UMX Extra 300, I decided to make a Yak 55 using the same construction technique and the 4-site electronics.

The planform is as close of an approximation to the extra as I could guess from the stock photos, stretched about an inch to match up with the Yak 55 fuse. I drew up the profiles in SolidWorks and laser cut the parts from 3mm Gediplac.

The foam parts were skinned with 0.35mil painters drop cloth from Home depot. The smallest package they had was 3600 square ft, so I've got enough for a few (thousand) more. The drop cloth is about the same weight as the mylar covering used on the vapors, and presumably the new extra, but it will stretch a bit more before tearing. I attached it to the foam with a dusting of 3m77, and used the skin as a hinge for all the control surfaces.

I used all the carbon and hardware from the 4-site, lengthening the pushrods about an inch. The gear is a bit short, but is good enough for now.

The finished weight came in at 32.3g, with a TP 150 cell, which is almost exactly the same as the extra. If I cut another there are a few places I'd beef up, but I think I could still keep it around 32g.

The plane is awesome to fly. I was really surprised how much better it feels than the 4-site. Rather than just being a micro that can do some 3d, it flies like a standard sized 3d foamy (just in a much smaller space). Minimal coupling, and very crisp all around. The drop in weight is noticeable, and there is reserve power when you need it. If Extra flies similarly Horizon's got a real winner.

Better video, and version 2.0 to come.

Micro 3D Yak (1 min 15 sec)

-Adam
AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods
Last edited by AJWoods; Nov 30, 2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added video
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:36 AM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,698 Posts
Nice job Adam! Looks like it flies fantastic!
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:50 AM
Paddle faster - I hear banjos!
USA, VA, Fairfax
Joined Mar 2008
398 Posts
man i am jealous ... wish i had the time and skillz do things like this! flight report/vids?
huckleberg is offline Find More Posts by huckleberg
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:50 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
942 Posts
Great Build,
I know I can make a plane like that....But boy can you fly! .....I wonder.... If I build a plane like this will my skills increase? (Probably not)
I've always wanted to learn to do rolling circles I guess I'd better get a simulator this Christmas to practice. Great Job..
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:14 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,390 Posts
Thanks guys. Having a small space plane like this does help keep the thumbs sharp.

-Adam
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:19 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,599 Posts
Really nice job, looks great.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:47 PM
departure from controlled flt
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2004
296 Posts
Well done Adam!

And thanks for sharing the build details. I think you've inspired a lot of us to give it a try.

--
Larry
airportdog is offline Find More Posts by airportdog
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:09 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Congrats from here too
Was talking about something similar with my wife yesterday, the way that indoor flight is getting to the point that TV has. Every pixel on the screen can be any colour and anything can be shown, in any way. This sort of model, homebuilt, flying like it does, shows that indoor airspace is becoming the same !

Need good skills for TV and cinema CGI though, as we do for flying like you did in the vid hehe
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:30 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
848 Posts
VERY NICE!
Congrats!
indoor_fr is online now Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:02 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
you should make plan or kit and sell it, look like a really nice flyer
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Old Dec 01, 2010, 06:42 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,390 Posts
Thanks guys. No intention to sell them at this point. Once I get some elements of the designed ironed out, I'll probably post the drawings so others can enjoy the plane.

-Adam
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:18 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
There is another thread that I've been following in which a Russian pilot builds similar, but larger planes using carbon fibre and a plastic covering: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158259

Not suggesting that you do it, but someday I'd like to see someone build two "identical" airframes. One in foam and plastic like you did, and one like he does his. Then to see how they compare in weight, durability, stiffness, drag, aerobatics, etc.

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:29 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Adam,
Very nice job. It's nice to see more people doing skeleton planes. I think this is catching on as the next thing after milled foam airframes.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:44 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,367 Posts
Lot's easier for homebuilt and I bet for mass production a laser cut skeleton covered with film is cheaper than milling.
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:22 PM
USA, MA, Framingham
Joined Feb 2003
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
Thanks guys. No intention to sell them at this point. Once I get some elements of the designed ironed out, I'll probably post the drawings so others can enjoy the plane.

-Adam
Is there any chance I could get the Solidworks file for this?

Our FIRST robotics team just bought a CNC mill and we don't have any good drawings to test it with. If we actually get everything working, I have an AR6400 brick out of my Sukhoi that needs a home. I'd really like to have a really small plane for a few of the kids on our team to fly at the school before the robotics build season starts.
Mad Scientist is offline Find More Posts by Mad Scientist