HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:36 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
Sorry to ask this but I've looked through this thread and have done numerous searches without success. Is it possible to limit the roll angle to no more than 45 degrees in 2d and if so how?
I have set the roll limit on several of my planes to 45 deg., but it doesn't work. The roll limits depend on the throws of the surfaces set by your rates. If you lower the rates you can get it to limit at 45 deg or whatever you like. You have to experiment with rates to get the desired limited roll rate.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:43 AM
Joined Feb 2007
384 Posts
Thanks guys
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:07 PM
Left the trainer phase
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Værløse
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Roll angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
Thanks guys
Isn't the efficiency of the roll angle limit a mix between the set value and the gain control? In my own experience the Guardian accepts higher angles as you decrease Gain. With 100% Gain my planes seem glued to the set value when rolling hard with the stick, wheras with 25% I am actually able to do a full roll, but it sort of hesitates a bit after reaching the set angle.

Bodolf
Bodolf is offline Find More Posts by Bodolf
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:49 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
As noted in my post Goodluckbuy have it listed.

Here

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/a3-super-...airplanes.html

Or with the Program Card

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/a3-super-...airplanes.html

ParadiseHobby have it as well

http://www.hobby-paradise.com/en/pro...ct_detail.html
Yep, I ordered 3 from Good Luck Buy. At AU$38 (free post) and with the improvements with V2 it is the sort of stabilizer you can afford to buy a few of because it's a pain trying to swap between aircraft.

Guardians would have cost me $82 each ($78 + $5 post from HK)
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Dec 24, 2014, 03:06 PM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Jul 2010
243 Posts
Have been testing out the Eagle Tree guardian Stabilizer in my "test" platform Parkzone corsair F4U.

The 2D recovery mode seems to work well.

The 3D mode still seems to give me all sorts of oscillations both in aileron and rudder inputs, both with heading hold in place and without. To eliminate this, I have to almost completely turn the gain down, which then negates the whole idea of the device. Had a gusty wind day a few days back which was a perfect day to test the response and the aircraft either wobbled too much with stabilizer on (3D no heading hold) or got pitched by the wind when stabilizer off or gains turned down to eliminate the wobble.

Am looking to use it to smooth out this light foamy aircraft for more gusty wind days rather than do 3D.

Any suggestions? Would the Cortex be better?
drjay is offline Find More Posts by drjay
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2014, 03:39 PM
The Sum of all Evils
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Apr 2014
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
Tower Hobbies standard everyday price is always $63.74, and they're offering free shipping at the moment. They always have some sort of discount code available, it seems, which is worth either five or eight dollars.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXCUCV

Whenever I order a Guardian, they e-mail me a short-term discount code for the next one that's worth ten bucks. The lowest price I've paid so far is a total of $55.73, including two dollars for shipping and the ten-dollar discount.

What a bargain. A phenomenal upgrade of any model airplane for about fifty bucks.

just got mine in from that deal.

I also sent ET an email with my receipt and no rebate yet...
Thrashie is offline Find More Posts by Thrashie
Old Dec 24, 2014, 03:56 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay View Post
Have been testing out the Eagle Tree guardian Stabilizer in my "test" platform Parkzone corsair F4U.

The 3D mode still seems to give me all sorts of oscillations both in aileron and rudder inputs, both with heading hold in place and without. To eliminate this, I have to almost completely turn the gain down, which then negates the whole idea of the device. Had a gusty wind day a few days back which was a perfect day to test the response and the aircraft either wobbled too much with stabilizer on (3D no heading hold) or got pitched by the wind when stabilizer off or gains turned down to eliminate the wobble.

Am looking to use it to smooth out this light foamy aircraft for more gusty wind days rather than do 3D.

This seems odd. I have one in a Parkzone P-47 and it works perfectly. That is actually one of my heavier planes. It also worked great in some lighter GWS foamies, sheet built Polaris and Drongo, and a pilot here who goes by the ID Depronicus swears by them in what I think are even lighter planes. In general, light planes should not be a problem, something else may be going on.

Can you tell us more about your setup? Where are your tx travel settings? Your DR settings. Have you made any changes to the custom limits? Do you have any video? Anything else you think might be relevant?
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 24, 2014, 04:47 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,696 Posts
Maybe try resetting the gyro's?

Quote:

DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Dec 24, 2014, 06:33 PM
Left the trainer phase
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Værløse
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:

I have the Guardian in five different planes, including the Parkzone P-47. I have found the Derivative Gain setting to be a culprit many times. Have you tried setting that to the lowest level?
Bodolf is offline Find More Posts by Bodolf
Old Dec 25, 2014, 02:59 PM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Jul 2010
243 Posts
Thanks for the ideas:

1. All settings are roughly stock. Differential about 20-30.
2. No custom limits
3. Have downloaded firmware - is this what you mean by gyro reset?
4. Don't know what derivative gain is? I have the gain on the knob on my DX18 and have to turn that down to almost zero sometime to get rid of the wobble, which, of course, pretty much removes the gyro inputs completely. Is there another way to set the derivative gain as you mention?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2014, 03:42 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,696 Posts
In the latest firmware there is a reset gyros button you can push. I was thinking that a reset may help...
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Dec 25, 2014, 04:07 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas:

1. All settings are roughly stock. Differential about 20-30.
2. No custom limits
3. Have downloaded firmware - is this what you mean by gyro reset?
4. Don't know what derivative gain is? I have the gain on the knob on my DX18 and have to turn that down to almost zero sometime to get rid of the wobble, which, of course, pretty much removes the gyro inputs completely. Is there another way to set the derivative gain as you mention?
It can cause problems if your model is set up for very wide throws mechanically and you tame this by drastically reducing the travel or DR settings in the tx to a very small value, like 30% lets say.

The derivative gain is another possibility. The default of 5 works fine in most cases but given the problem you are having it could need to be lower. Derivative gain controls the response to changing attitude and too high a setting can cause oscillation on a responsive model. This gain is controlled with a slider on the 3D page. Try setting it to zero to see if that helps the problem. If the oscillations go away, try moving it back to higher values until you find the setting you like best. Note that with DG at zero, rate mode will be completely ineffective so you will need to test with HH on.

Updating the firmware does not reset the gyros. As Damon said, the current firmware now has a button for that purpose on the main page. I believe this mostly cures gyro drift and won't likely help in this situation but it can't hurt. Just be sure the Guardian is completely motionless when you reset the gyros.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Yesterday, 02:51 AM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Jul 2010
243 Posts
Thanks for the tips, will try hopefully this weekend and keep you posted
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
...Whenever I order a Guardian, they e-mail me a short-term discount code for the next one that's worth ten bucks...
They just did it again. It'll be valid until January 9. If they happen to have a free shipping promotion going, it'll bring the price down to less than fifty-four bucks.

Thank you, Tower Hobbies.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
2,044 Posts
I finished up a wireless trainer system today using 2 Taranis radios. I have a guardian FW 1.24 mounted in a FunCub. Wind was blowing 20mph with stronger gusts. I decided to give it all a test today. The trainer tx only has 4 ch control, master 7 ch, mode, gain and flaps.
i found a new Xmas flyer at the field that was crashing his new present and asked if he would try my setup. Little knowing that the trainer setup was never tested, it all worked 100% and he enjoyed his first non crash long flight. I enjoyed knowing it all worked. I really didn't take control much, just talked him through turns and not going too far down wind due to conditions. The guardian handled the gusts and strong winds just fine.
Win win for both of us. He got a crash free flight, I got to test all my work. The wireless system sure is a great setup without that cable to worry with. Adding the guardian is icing on the cake!
SM
showmaster is offline Find More Posts by showmaster