HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp View Post
Hi,
Today I tried load new firmware to my RVOSD G5.
Something went wrong. Now my OSD dies start and writes the belows at main screen.
RVOSD
Version:5.03 Sensor:0.00

What could be done improperly? How can fix it .

Thanks
Main board was not updated properly and graph board was not updated at all. Check the update instructions and flash again.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:45 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
What RC TX are using that you lost link at 12 miles? I have solid link with my DL at those distances. I wouldn't really blame RVOSD for your loss. I agree the GPS cable and connectors could be a little beefier, but I would doubt that after 12 mile flight you all of a sudden loss gps without some prior warning. When you fly these distances you really have to double check your setup and have confidence in your equipment.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
Quote:
2. Plane wasnt circling above rc link lost position - as i said before it was just random turns and flying away ...
Something else is wrong them, too high winds maybe?
If you post the video of the flight then we all could have a better idea.

Quote:
Im not saying that rvosd is bad. it works easy out of box.

But due to "programming" errors and poor quallity of gps ?sensor,cable,plug? it can be very danger and its more risk than safety future
Nothing can be done to prevent dumb thumbs. You forget that RVOSD have being sold with this very same connectors for more than four years, and they are not cheap. Actually they are more expensive because the small size. And just now we managed to keep it on stock for more than 3 months.
Yes, there is mistakes that can be done while using it, but if used properly, will save your planes many times. I know because I do it every time I go flying.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
BTW, I had just check on RVOSD forum. Now I see all the problem was related to the connectors on the board. It wasn't a GPS lock lost but GPS connection failure. You posted this few times, so you knew about it before that flight.
Solution was to get a new GPS cable or make a direct connection by soldering the cables on both the GPS and OSD sides.
Still my advice is the same, don't flight to the edge of RC link if:
1- You got the "GPS disconnected" advice displayed. Even if it does only once.
2- There is strong tail winds on the way out.
3- The autopilot is not properly configured and tested at safe range.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
I can not program RVOSD to send the airplane on a step dive to crash if there is a GPS failure. The odds are much better if it does what it does now. Gentle circle waiting for RC signal to come back.
That's true, but you no need motor for that. You can combine this with throttle protection - you can't read direction, altitude, speed etc. without GPS, but you can stabilize the plane

I think all you need is few rules.

First of all, you should define new autopilot mode, called something like "Holding Pattern". In this mode, plane will fly with user throttle control and will keep 20 degrees (or optional) left or right (according the loiter range settings) bank angle. Autopilot will trying to stabilize the plane in the circle the same way as when you are flying RTH with home right behind you.

Now conditions for each autopilot mode.

Return to Home (failsafe):

• No GPS lock: RTH changed to Holding Pattern, motor off.
  • GPS disconnected: RTH changed to Holding Pattern, motor off.
  • Ground speed = 0 (+-2 km/h) [optional]: Standard RTH, motor off.

Last option should be optional, for slope flying. But I think In case of strong crosswind in RTH the disabled motor will force the plane to move in opposite direction and gain some speed, what will start the motor again. You can't rely on RTH with slope flying, anyway. I thought also about zero altitude check, but it's nonsense - it may work in Netherlands, but in all other countries the take-off altitude may be different from the place when you land...

Other autopilot modes:

Level flight, Fly-by-wire: no change, warning message only (GPS lost)

Waypoint Sequencer and Position Hold: change to "Holding Pattern", warning message (GPS lost, holding pattern).

Heading Hold: change to "Level flight", warning message (GPS lost, level flight)

This is only a basic idea, I think it would be better to discuss this in detail on RV forum...
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:09 PM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapo View Post
btw, i had just check on rvosd forum. Now i see all the problem was related to the connectors on the board. It wasn't a gps lock lost but gps connection failure. You posted this few times, so you knew about it before that flight.
Solution was to get a new gps cable or make a direct connection by soldering the cables on both the gps and osd sides.
Still my advice is the same, don't flight to the edge of rc link if:
1- you got the "gps disconnected" advice displayed. Even if it does only once.
2- there is strong tail winds on the way out.
3- the autopilot is not properly configured and tested at safe range.
rofl
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:45 PM
------------
Wielka Brytania, Anglia, Derbyshire
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Rubbish again.
You want me to spend $300 and then do diy?!
Anyway that issue was resolved by changing gps lead and moving gps on wing. I had many successful flights and then it went mad.
Why are you trying to prove that it was my fault?
My only point is : HOW IT CAN GO IN RTH MODE WITHOUT GPS SIGNAL?

its all happen only because of that!
jsxx is offline Find More Posts by jsxx
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Need a new GPS cable.
Alex,
Called Vova to get a new GPS cable as you recommended, in post 2503. He said I didn't need one since I got the GPS working.
1. You made it clear in your following posts that a "GPS Disconnected" message should act as sufficient warning to replace the cable.
2. I got the message when attempting to fly again today.

Will be calling Vova tomorrow. Can you let him know that I need a replacement. This unit is only 1 month old.
I do not want to risk my $800 investment for lack of heeding your advice.
thanks,
cretcheu is offline Find More Posts by cretcheu
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,475 Posts
There are two possible situations in which RTL would be used.

One would be that you are testing it and in that case you should be ready to re-establish manual control if needed.

The second would be that you have lost the RC link which would most likey be due to distance and in this situation I would rather take my chances that it still has a GPS lock and go into RTL than do nothing while it flies off into the sunset.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:47 PM
What goes up...
United States, NJ, Cherry Hill
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
Anybody with a rvosd also have it mounted in a bixler or similar sized aircraft? I am trying to figure out how to mount mine.
acuralegendz is offline Find More Posts by acuralegendz
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
Quote:
My only point is : HOW IT CAN GO IN RTH MODE WITHOUT GPS SIGNAL?

its all happen only because of that!
Ok, what do you want the autopilot to do instead?
1-Point the nose down and crash asap. Good to retrieve the airplane on pieces, assuming you are not flying over water.
2-Keep flying leveled. Good chance to get RC link back by changing RC tx position or rising it over head.
3-Keep doing circles holding actual altitude or cruise altitude(using baro). Similar chances to get RC link back.
4-Same than three but increasing or decreasing altitude.

I can see a risk on all this possibilities, so we will see someone complain about it sooner or later.
Alternative is:
5- Follow my three advices on post #2539
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:34 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Alex, Now that there is a magnetometer on board, would it be possible for the RVOSD to remember the last known bearing and distance to home? If GPS is lost, then it would fly this heading and maintain altitude for a period of time that equates to this distance based on last known speed, then it enters a descending circle.
Wind will certainly screw up the accuracy, but at least it will get much closer to home and give you a chance to re-establish an RC link. If you ever implement my other idea of having the RVOSD calculate wind speed and direction vectors, it could use the last known vectors to calculate a pretty accurate home solution. This is known to pilots as Dead Reckoning, and it was essential before GPS.

How feasible is this?
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
Yes, dead reckoning is possible. This is how the inertial units on the ballistic intercontinental missiles work. They cost hundreds of thousands dollars also. The magnetometer idea is not bad. But there is a problem again, on our planes we have static and dynamic disturbances of the magnetic field. The high currents on the ESC and motors make some important magnetic field, this will require people to keep this in mind when wiring everything on the plane.
So there will be more things to keep in mind, and more chances of people making wrong things. I have to think in an idea to get rid of the kind of things we see on this forum. Maybe make a cheap unit with zero support, no adjusts, and no hassle. Just like the Chinese OSD's on the market. I don't really feel like adding to much more to RVOSD. At least not to the masses.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
That's too bad. I'm having a great time with RVOSD and new features would be very welcome. I killed a plane once too, but that was because I hadn't set up the RVOSD correctly. Please, if you ever become finished with your project and stop selling and supporting it, consider releasing your sources so the project can live on without you. Like you said in another post, the silent majority is unfortunately silent.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:41 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Alex I hope we aren't burning you out. As I said in my very first post, YOU are the primary reason I am switching to the RVOSD. The ability to communicate directly with the designer to share ideas for improvement and get direct help. This is where RVOSD beats every other competitor hands down. Now wouldn't that be a sad irony if that is the very thing that causes you to burn out and give up.
You wrote, ". I don't really feel like adding too much more to RVOSD. At least not to the masses."
Npre suggested open sourcing.
Maybe an unapproved open source project isn't such a bad idea. Apple doesn't approve or support jailbreaking of my phone, but I assume the risks anyway. You could help develop unapproved beta firmware, along with others, and not have to worry about the users whining to you. Use at your own risk! You can add features to the approved firmware only after extensive beta testing by those of us who volunteered to assume the risk first. Knowing how you strive for perfection, I would risk being one of those beta testers for a less expensive rig. If I want to play it safe, I would use only approved firmware.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Last edited by iskess; Sep 09, 2012 at 09:48 PM.