New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2015, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by cakeman68
Joined Apr 2015
1 Posts
Discussion
Voltage Regulator for a LiPo

Hello everyone I have an odd question. I own a Blade 350QX quadcopter and I was wondering would it be possible to build a voltage regulator so that I can connect (2) 11.1 3000mAH batteries together in order to extend my flight time from abut 15 minutes to 30+ minutes. If this is possible, what do I need to do?
cakeman68 is offline Find More Posts by cakeman68
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2015, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by CreepyCrawl
Obsessed with the details.
United States, NH
Joined Apr 2013
151 Posts
What you're looking for is a Parallel harness that will allow you to run your two packs together.

Take care to make or purchase the right set up: Parallel doubles your mAh while Series doubles your voltage, so keep that in mind. Connecting two packs in series to an ESC that isn't rated to handle the voltage, will lead to a BBQ.
CreepyCrawl is offline Find More Posts by CreepyCrawl
Old Apr 21, 2015, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
1,513 Posts
Also keep in mind that double batteries doubles the weight of the battery which requires more power to lift. In practice I suspect you'll get something like 20% longer flight time rather than the 100% you are expecting.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Apr 22, 2015, 02:30 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,635 Posts
Welcome to the forum

A parallel harness, mentioned above, is simply a wiring harness that connects both the battery red wires together and both the battery black wires, like this one. That'll add the capacities of the two batteries together but keep the voltage the same, so no extra voltage regulator is needed. As also mentioned, it won't give you double the flight time due to the extra weight, and performance may change too, for the same reason.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Apr 22, 2015, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
591 Posts
Yea if your wanting double flight time your best bet is using one pack at a time. For one it's the only way to get double flight time. And as for a voltage regulator this is definitly not needed. As there are 2 ways to combine a Lipo pack one way which is the way your wanting Which is called parallel this doubles your capacity and being it also adds weight it's not going to double the flight time and this weight will also be much harder on your motors.

Then there is combining packs in series which then doubles your voltage.
Jaketheone46 is online now Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Last edited by Jaketheone46; Apr 22, 2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeman68 View Post
Hello everyone I have an odd question. I own a Blade 350QX quadcopter and I was wondering would it be possible to build a voltage regulator so that I can connect (2) 11.1 3000mAH batteries together in order to extend my flight time from abut 15 minutes to 30+ minutes. If this is possible, what do I need to do?
May I suggest you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
It will give you a lot of good information about batteries and chargers.

There has been a lot of good information posted above. This will give you better detail.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1