HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:16 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Build Log
**EdgeRC Devastator DTV** DS record holder for "chevron foam" 154MPH!!

Edit, 9-23-06...

Went to Parker Mtn. today with the intent to see how fast I could get this wing DS'n on the backside. I had no expectations to come home with a record but I did!!! BY A HAIR!!! 154MPH bumped from Vic's(-double-V-) record of 153mph with his own 42' Manta purpose built DSer... So stoked!!! It was fun battling it out with Vic on the slope, and we were talking about his new stuff coming out... Gonna' try to hold the record but Vic's surely on a mission to nab it back. Got it for now, and we'll see how long I can keep it...

More details starting on page 6....
__________________________________________________ _
Edit, 9-17-06

Justin added this full kit to his website, and every detail I added he has put in the kit, and some. Moulded pushrod covers, all carbon main spars, carbon drag spars, true aileron shaped elevons(no flat balsa), BOMB PROOF center fin, etc..

Available here ~Edge-RC Devastator DTV sloper~

__________________________________________________ _
This is my second Devastator and the only reason I parted with the first, was so that I could persuede my buddy into getting beyond the Weasel Pro. After seeing my Devastator fly, he litterally whipped out cash right on the slope.. It "was" my best flying plane..

~~Thread for my first Devastator~~

~~Link to a video of my first Devastator~~

After talking with Justin(owner Edge-RC) and ordering up some more Devastators, he decided he would make a true sloper from the E-planform and change up a few things. It now has a center fin, and IMO a MUCH improved spar system.

A few notes..

~ This is a wing in the prototype stages and availibility could be a moderate wait. Justin is a busy man and don't expect it in a week if you order one.. Few weeks minimum probably. It's worth the wait...

~ I will be adding a few things which are not in the "kit" and will try to note them as I progress with the build. Justin may chime in also and add some info, hopefully..

Can't wait to get this thing done and bust some more "grass skimming ACRO DS"... Such a great handling plane. Can't say it enough..

I am using Goop in this build as my target weight is 27-30oz, and I want STRENGTH. Nothing compares to Goop in all out EPP strength but if you want a slightly more delicate stucture, and about a 3 ounce lighter AUW, I'd go with PU glue... PU is great but becomes brittle, and from my experience, won't take a "shock load" like Goop.. Building with Goop takes time but it's worth it IMO..

-Don

Day one...
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Last edited by THUREN; Sep 26, 2006 at 01:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:22 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Still day one..

I don't use the wing beds as they aren't usually 100% true. A good flat surface works great with this plane as there is zero washout etc. Just make sure to weight it evenly..

-Don
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:32 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Day two...

This new kit has the 4 added spars which do not come in the E-version. I added ribbon spars to my first Devastator but they became soft after a few poundings. These a true heavy wall round spars and they do an awesome job of making a reliably stiff/strong wing...
Last edited by THUREN; Aug 29, 2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:42 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Day 3....

The center fin mount plate design is 100% Justins, but I am flipping it over and adding a center carbon rod in the slotted plate. The fin mounting is hard to describe but you'll see as I go...

It will be BOMB PROOF as the two plates will be locked, and then Gooped to the main spar on top of that. The entire assembly would basically have to be ripped out with the main spar!!!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:50 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Day 4.....

Note..... On everything I goop I use the masking tape to leave a smooth surface, but it slows dry time substantially... I remove the tape after the goop gets "rigid" but not fully dry....
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:52 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Day 5.....
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:00 AM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
Man this is looking sweet! Did you use flats on the trailing edge or tubes?
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Aug 30, 2006, 02:06 AM
Joined Mar 2005
849 Posts
im shocked!...... i was waiting to read something about 'calling me out' don, lol.

V V
-DoubleV- is offline Find More Posts by -DoubleV-
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:00 AM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Don,

I'm liking that black and green look. Very Xbox

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:15 AM
fast chevron foam
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jun 2005
660 Posts
Great job so far Don!! As you know, I recently built one of these DTV devastators myself. They are super fast for a chevron, like a halfpipe. AKA combatwing killers. But in a recent unfortunate "turn" of events (pun intended), it landed upside down on the fin I am going to redo the fin mount like yours (I have been waiting for this thread).

I want to see how you end up at 30oz, mine is only 20! At 30 it probably cuts the air waaaaaay faster.

Dan
WingmanDan is offline Find More Posts by WingmanDan
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:26 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
willhaney,
Flats for the sub TE. I like tubes also but I wanted this wing to be a combat basher also, and thin-wall tubes tend to split.

Vic,
LOL!!! I'll race ya' on the frontside but you can keep the DS record YO! Allthough these Devastators DS great(first plane I "pulled" an inverted lap with), they are more of an aerobatic close in DS'er and not the ba!!'s out wide lap screamer. Probably could be a wide lapper with some more weight but ehhhhh...

Lance,
Xbox? Is that some sort of video game gizmo?

Dan,
My first Dev came out at 24oz and I was trying to be a "little" conservative with weight. I used PU glue and CA a lot on that one but Goop is so much heavier, I'll be glad if this one says under 30oz. At 24oz my last one could float in light air and SCREAM at the same time. I want this one to be a serious speed demon in medium lift and a few more ounces shouldn't hurt the light air performance. At 20oz your's must fly on NOTHING!!

-Don
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:20 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
saaaaaa mmmmorrrrrrrree

progress..

16oz now... Hmmmmm. lets take a guess......

Receiver........................... 1oz
elevons........................... 1oz
moderate/heavy tape job.... 3oz
center fin assembly............ 2oz
ultracoat......................... 1oz
Thinned Goop.................... 2oz
linkages, hinge tape, etc..... 1oz

27oz....... We'll see!!!!
Old Sep 01, 2006, 09:07 AM
fast chevron foam
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jun 2005
660 Posts
Don, sweet techniques! I especially like how you split the battery, I had trouble fitting mine around the spars but didn't think of splitting it like that.

I am anxious to know your final CG and throws. As I mentioned before, I have trouble with mine tip stalling in the turns... I even tried taping on winglets instead of the center fin but it did the same. Maybe mine is too light, I weighed it yesterday and it's only 17oz!!
WingmanDan is offline Find More Posts by WingmanDan
Old Sep 01, 2006, 10:02 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingmanDan
Don, sweet techniques! I especially like how you split the battery, I had trouble fitting mine around the spars but didn't think of splitting it like that.

I am anxious to know your final CG and throws. As I mentioned before, I have trouble with mine tip stalling in the turns... I even tried taping on winglets instead of the center fin but it did the same. Maybe mine is too light, I weighed it yesterday and it's only 17oz!!
17oz..

Gnarly!!! Did you ballast with helium?? Should fly great really as long as you can keep it moving...

Did you try moving the CG forward yet? Or get a chance to go inverted in some OK lift? That will tell a lot, if it hasn't yet Dan.. With the CG too far back it will want to fall out of the sky in the blink of an eye, in a tight slow turn, like most "fastish" planks/wings. Most "fast" planes, even conventional planform will do that actually with the CG too far back.

Few more pics..
Old Sep 01, 2006, 11:44 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,901 Posts
don-got-skillz-dot-com

This is such an awesome, clean install.

Enjoying your work!

John
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni