HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:42 AM
Experimentor
Southern Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
153 Posts
Cad?

how do you guys do your models in CAD? I've got a 3d-model of the swedish J35 draken in 3Dstudio Max. My CADsoftware is AutoCAD 2005. Is there any possability to import/export between them? Or do I have to do it again in AutoCAD? Since I don't handle cad yet i prefer to work in 3Ds
Brauer is offline Find More Posts by Brauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:37 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
I'm still "stuck" in the 2D cad world myself using DesignCad 2D ver 7. It's old, win 3.1 era 16 bit and limited to the 8.3 naming system, but I know it really well and taught myself to use it. Working in 2D is easy to me, but sometimes trying to visualize how something looks is difficult, so 3D would be nice.

I'm kind of on the opposite shore as you, I know 2D (but not autocad) and have 3D Studio Max 6 but haven't a clue how to use it.

In 2D what I do is import a 3 view as a bitmap, then in another layer I start tracing the outline of the airplane and the various panel lines and most imporatantly the cross sections (the more of those you have the better). I then make the bitmap invisible and start drawing in structures, using the cross sections to create bulkhead or using two cross sections to interpolate a new cross section shape in between if I need to.

With 3D you can slice a model up to get the cross sections wherever you need them and make the bulkheads that way. I guess you can do the whole process while in 3D but it's a mystery to me how since putting me in front of 3D cad is like giving a monkey a set of plans and some balsawood.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:25 PM
Experimentor
Southern Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
I'm still "stuck" in the 2D cad world myself using DesignCad 2D ver 7. It's old, win 3.1 era 16 bit and limited to the 8.3 naming system, but I know it really well and taught myself to use it. Working in 2D is easy to me, but sometimes trying to visualize how something looks is difficult, so 3D would be nice.

I'm kind of on the opposite shore as you, I know 2D (but not autocad) and have 3D Studio Max 6 but haven't a clue how to use it.

In 2D what I do is import a 3 view as a bitmap, then in another layer I start tracing the outline of the airplane and the various panel lines and most imporatantly the cross sections (the more of those you have the better). I then make the bitmap invisible and start drawing in structures, using the cross sections to create bulkhead or using two cross sections to interpolate a new cross section shape in between if I need to.

With 3D you can slice a model up to get the cross sections wherever you need them and make the bulkheads that way. I guess you can do the whole process while in 3D but it's a mystery to me how since putting me in front of 3D cad is like giving a monkey a set of plans and some balsawood.
Yes, one of the problems with 2d is that you can't see the result 3d. To do a 3d isn't so hard. I simply add the blueprints into 3 views. Couldn't be easier
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:33 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,528 Posts
Or..... you import your 2 D into Rhino and work out from there... as i do. it takes a little time to learn.... but at the age of 60 it took me around 3 month to learn...
hope ahead..
Claus
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:36 PM
Experimentor
Southern Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
153 Posts
well since I handle 3ds quite well I'd like to start there and after that go to cad to print my plans.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 01:03 PM
Joined Jul 2002
527 Posts
I use Autosketch version 9. I wish I was able to design in 3D.
EP heli freak! is offline Find More Posts by EP heli freak!
Old Dec 11, 2004, 03:41 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,530 Posts
I started in AutoSketch v3 in 1991. Brings back fond memories.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Dec 11, 2004, 07:30 PM
Redmond, WA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
750 Posts
TurboCAD claims to be able to import 3D Studio files and export them in a variety of formats. I've not had the occasion to import a 3DS file, but if your file is small enough to email, would be happy to run it through for you.
(my avatar is a .jpeg from a rendering of an F-22 I've been working on in TurboCAD for far too long--need to start cutting some wood and foam...)
sguty is offline Find More Posts by sguty
Old Dec 12, 2004, 06:14 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
3d Surfacemodeler with nearly all u need - including import and export of 3ds files

After nerving all the year, my boss had a good minute and ordered Rhinoceros 3.0 for me - great surfacemodeller with a large list of import and export formats - get a free test version on Rhino3d.com!!!
I made a lot of this planes with this program, yet!
It is not very good in 2D Drawings - but is able to export DXF and DWG so this is not a problem!!

P.S.: Max is an illustrative rendering program ( had V.2 @ school) and nearly every other modeller has a mightier engine for technical engineering ( I think that's what you need)( but the simplifiers for rendering are great - that's also sure).

Some samples...
Another question: I'm a newbee in this circle and my desire is - > is there an easier way to navigate through the threads than making FAVOURITES everywhere I've been?
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Last edited by Harpye; Dec 12, 2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 06:38 AM
Experimentor
Southern Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
153 Posts
Got my plans on the floor now I scaled it in photoshop, tiled it and printed it out. So simple!
Old Dec 12, 2004, 07:24 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Great Tools!

Nice equipment: Max; Photoshop (a plotter) - ist this your job?!?

( But are you in need of a pixel oriented program, to scale plans refering to an vector oriented format base!!! - if you would have pinted using DWG/ DXF you would have the better quality!!! Or is phtoshop able to work with vectors now??? Last time I worked on, was 5 years ago!!!)

P.S.: the Harpye as my avatar is modelled in Rhino and rendered in C4D whitch I bought last month.
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Last edited by Harpye; Dec 12, 2004 at 07:42 AM.