HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2013, 06:47 AM
Joined Sep 2013
8 Posts
Discussion
Fill Me In

Hi guys,

So this weekend I got my first hexacopter flying with the Turnigy Talon frame.

Needless to say, being a new hexacopter pilot, I crashed it and destroyed the frame. I finished tearing it all apart yesterday, luckily everything else is in good shape.

Anyhow, I decided to go a bit bigger/better for the next frame, and ordered it last night: http://www.vulcanuav.com/multiframe-Octo.html

That being said, at this point I am $1300 into this hexacopter (now octocopter), and I really can't stand to crash it again. What flight controller can you recommend that is good for beginners, that help keep me from over powering it and crashing?

I was looking at this all in one system, it has everything I want towards the end anyway: http://www.dji.com/product/naza-m-v2/

Is that a good one? Will it be good for a beginner? If not, what else would be good?

Last question, on my previous 600mm frame, I had 12" props. What should I put on this 1200mm octocopter?

Thanks guys.
Incisus is offline Find More Posts by Incisus
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Oct 2012
158 Posts
Naza -M is good but propellers will be determined by your motors esc's and battery your using. I take it your using a couple big 4s batteries to fuel this monster your building? Your esc are 30 or 40 amp?? Motor size??

You would be further ahead if you slow down and get a cheap good flying Quad like F450 with Naza-M and learn to fly it and wreck it and rebuild it while getting things down cheaper and easier to rebuild.

I did the same thing. Going in big and built a few hexacopters, crashed them. Then figured out that the Tri-Copter is were its at, less to fail, flys great, good FPV plateform. Can always add more motors and turn it into a Hexacopter top and bottom motors.

Also might think of getting flight sim program. They have saved many people money in learning to fly.

Good Luck
TonyTronicWSP is online now Find More Posts by TonyTronicWSP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iris fpv
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:37 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
You're going in the wrong direction. You don't learn to fly with a big machine, you learn on a small machine because you will crash and fixing something small will be a lot cheaper.

No FC is going to stop you crashing, they may help but at the end of the day you're the one in control, and you need to be able to control it. The bigger you go the more dangerous the machine is you're putting in the air. Imagine that 1200mm octo hitting someone....

Buy yourself a blade MQX or similar micro quad and learn how to fly it until it becomes second nature, then, and only then, look at a bigger machine. At that point you won't be looking for an FC to stop you crashing, you'll be looking for an FC to do what you want.

If you really want a Naza, buy a phantom. Seriously, a 1200mm Octo is a massively powerful craft. Something that big isn't really a toy anymore.

You did see the news story recently about a teenager being killed by his own RC copter right?
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:52 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,416 Posts
I agree with Tony get a DJI F450 frame and the Naza M, then put in some time learning on that.
The mqx is great to learn on also.
After that put your Naza M on your Vulcan frame.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Sep 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
28 Posts
Even better, get a 450 (the dji f450 is pretty great) and a dirt simple kk2.0 board and learn to fly without all the options, gps, and so on. All the options just make it more likely to spend all your time fiddling and less time flying. After a kk2.0, your Naza on the octo will be a cakewalk.
spelling bee is offline Find More Posts by spelling bee
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:02 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,142 Posts
Start very simple and have fun every evening you come home from work in your yard. Go around bush's and trees, circle around you. Take the MQX as far up and away as you can manage. Build some skills.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...+Merchandising

In the time it takes you to learn to fly MQX, take your time building next best thing.

Relax and take your time.
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diamond 2500
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:50 AM
Sverige, Örebro Län, Hallsberg
Joined Oct 2011
126 Posts
Here is an even cheaper model to learn on:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...de_2_RTF_.html
Kaptenklister is offline Find More Posts by Kaptenklister
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:35 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelling bee View Post
Even better, get a 450 (the dji f450 is pretty great) and a dirt simple kk2.0 board and learn to fly without all the options, gps, and so on. All the options just make it more likely to spend all your time fiddling and less time flying. After a kk2.0, your Naza on the octo will be a cakewalk.
I second this one or the little MQX.

The KK2 is very easy to fly and is a great way to learn about tuning a quad without all the extra software.

The MQX is awesome to just fly right out of the box. It flies just like its big big brothers and it almost indestructible.

One of the most dangerous things you can do is go up in size if you cant fly a hex. The difference in stability isnt that great (unless you're talking fine motion needed for photography). That big octo is really powerful and WILL be very expensive if you crash a lot.

Buy a $50-$100 quad frame that you can bash, rather than a $2000+ octo.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Sep 2013
8 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I purchased the Naza M V2, I figure GPS hold will make it easier to learn with.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:13 PM
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jun 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incisus View Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I purchased the Naza M V2, I figure GPS hold will make it easier to learn with.
Best to learn WITHOUT GPS first, understand the craft and then get addons.. What will you do when GPS fails?? There's nowt like experience...
Phytone is offline Find More Posts by Phytone
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Sep 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phytone View Post
Best to learn WITHOUT GPS first, understand the craft and then get addons.. What will you do when GPS fails?? There's nowt like experience...

What size props should I chose? I'm using 1000kv Turnigy motors, and 50A ESC (all they had in stock near me).
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
The Blade Nano QX is a significant improvement over the MQx. Despite it's tiny size, handles wind better, too.

You must learn to fly manual mode. Too many beginners rely on GPS, then they get some kind of signal problem or compass error and they can't deal with it. If you have an error and the quad starts to 'fly away", it's not going to respond to RTH. You have to take control with manual mode. RTH is only because you lost signal.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:28 PM
gyro, simonk n call it a day
United States, NJ, Hamilton Township
Joined Jan 2013
264 Posts
Build a quad with some of your parts and leave the big bucks til next season. Get a KK2 flight controller, you will thank yourself later.
lockwood is offline Find More Posts by lockwood
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:05 PM
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2006
99 Posts
I think you are doing the right thing, the naza is a very able and easy to learn on. I would start reading up on tuning it. It will fly pretty well and easy out of the box use attitude mode to start with and you home lock if you get disoriented.

good luck, great looking frame.
bigemike is offline Find More Posts by bigemike
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Apr 2013
122 Posts
KK2 very nice. 1000kv motors good for 8x4.5, 9x4.5 maybe, 10 inch might be a stretch. Keep it simple and learn to fly naked. If you are flying an autonomous system and it fails, you still need to know how to fly.
jeffjblack is offline Find More Posts by jeffjblack