Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:11 AM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
Discussion
Beast w/ AS3X

I bought a used beast and have not been able to fly it. The problem is with the ailerons. When I first bound it they worked properly. The next time I turned it on, the right aileron actuator did not move the ailerons even though the motor and jack screw turned. I fiddled with it and got the jack screw engaged with the linkage and it worked properly for a minute. The next time I turned it on, all four ailerons move the same direction. I have re bound it several times. I even removed the top of the plane to get to the brick and cannot find any reason for this. Any suggestions?
scott75007 is offline Find More Posts by scott75007
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:52 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,296 Posts
Sounds like you toggled the channel 6 behavior. Or you could probably fix it with a flaperon mix in your transmitter if it has it. The brick can emulate dual ailerons for you or the TX can do it. Your choice.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...0-L-Manual.pdf

To Change Channel 6 to a Reversed Channel 2 for Dual Ailerons
or Reversed Channel 2 to Channel 6
Note: All changes made in advanced programming must start with the receiver powered down to
prevent the motor from running unexpectedly.
To safely accomplish advanced programming feature changes, please enlist the use of a helper. One to
hold the aircraft to prevent unintended flyaways, and one to make the changes on the transmitter.
Sticks must be held in this position while the transmitter is on and the receiver is off.
1. Ensure a successful bind was completed
2. Turn transmitter on
3. Move THRO stick to full throttle position
4. Move Control sticks to the corresponding position to change between the available options (see
illustration)
5. While holding this position, plug the battery into the receiver; power receiver
6. The LED on the receiver will go solid and within 5 seconds the LED will flash 3 times quickly,
indicating the option is now changed
7. Disconnect flight pack from receiver
8. Turn transmitter off
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:51 AM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
Thanks so much for your help. I thought I must have triggered this, but had no idea how I did it or how to correct it.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 08:15 AM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
beast board programing

I tried this suggestion last night and it worked half way. It made the ailerons quit moving in the same direction, but now the left ailerons don't move at all. I cannot get them to move in either direction by repeating the programming. So there must be another advanced programming action required that is not mentioned in the link. Any chance you know what stick position is required to reactivate the left ailerons to move opposite of the right ailerons. I used the mode 2 diagram with throttle full and aileron/elevator stick in the lower left hand corner to uncouple the ailerons. I would appreciate any help.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 08:21 AM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
transmitter

I am using a DX8 transmitter and tried unsucessfully to mix aux 1 and aileron after I sucessfully uncoupled the ailerons. Never could get left aileron to move.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Aug 1999
2,296 Posts
Are you using a totally blank model memory and binding to that memory before you start? Junk in the model memory like ATV, dual rates, etc. will goof up the stick programming.

If you can't get it to work with a flaperon mix, I wonder if the left servo is unplugged or stuck. Is it at one end of it's travel? If it is, power the receiver down and manually scroll the servo gear to get the servo off the endpoint.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:02 AM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
I did center the servo as it was at the end of throw but to no avail. I will try moving the plane to a black spot on the transmitter.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:19 AM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
I moved the plane to a new ACRO location on the transmitter and bound it then did the advanced programing action twice with no change. The left aileron just does not move now.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 1999
2,296 Posts
Try swapping the servo plugs and see the effect. I wonder if you have a dead servo.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:28 PM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
tried that and neither worked when I did which tells me both the circuit and servo are not working, which is wierd since yesterday all ailerons worked but all moved in the same direction.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Aileron servos can be individually reversed with a $2 "reversing harness" The harness shorts the signal wire to 1S + and the servo Reverse (then you unplug the harness)

There are reports that the servos can accidently reverse if they momentarily see too low voltage.

1. Go back to the Original TX configuration. AS3X doesn't work with dual Aileron or Flaperons in the TX.

2. NEVER swap aileron plug sides with AS3X and reverse ailerons in the TX. This will TOTALLY screw up the AS3X and the plane WILL crash.

3. Reverse the incorrect servo with a reversing harness, then unplug the harness and continue to fly normally.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:38 PM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
Thank you, I will get the reversing harness. It sounds like this is what I needed when all four ailerons were moving in the same direction. Now the left ones will not move at all and I can't figure out how to make them move. Do you think in this situation the reversing harness will make them move?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:04 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott75007 View Post
Thank you, I will get the reversing harness. It sounds like this is what I needed when all four ailerons were moving in the same direction. Now the left ones will not move at all and I can't figure out how to make them move. Do you think in this situation the reversing harness will make them move?
You have to follow UNGN's steps. Step 1 - take it out of 6 channel or X-Port mode, and put it back to original mode, where Channel 6 is mirrored Channel 2 (ailerons.) That will make the left side ailerons work again.

Then use the servo reverser. You plug it inline with the servo, power it up, it'll buzz or something to let you know it's reversed, unplug it and plug the servo directly into the brick, and you should be fine.

Ben
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:12 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
As Ben said, if you Switched the brick out of Channel 2 / Reverse Channel 2, to Channel 2/ Channel 6 mode, you'll need need to switch it back.

There is no AS3X on Channel 6, so Switching an AS3X brick to this mode doesn't really work properly. People do it, but I have tried it and I wouldn't recommend it.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:02 AM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
I have tried this many times, but nothing seems to reactivate the left aileron. Horizon is sending me a new actuator so I will see if that is the problem. thanks