HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:01 PM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,221 Posts
Discussion
Recommend My 2nd Heli...

My wife got me a 3.5ch Nano Hercules by World Tech Toys for Christmas and I've really been enjoying the heck out of it. It's down now waiting for motor (those brushes don't last long. I want another indoor flyer but r/c rather than ir so I can fly it outside if I want (I found the ir is no good outdoors).

What's a good step up? Something that has good availability on replacement parts?
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:36 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
The Blade MCX 2 is the best micro-coax you can buy. They sell them at most local hobby shops and have readily available parts. They aren't cheap, but they are worth it. Their performance and handling are as good as it goods for a coax. But, no matter what coax you buy, outdoors in any wind, is not a good idea.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:43 AM
Certifiable
Joined Dec 2012
2,221 Posts
Will definitely look into the MCX 2. Anything other for comparison?

I fear when spring arrives I will have a new sink hole for $....
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:00 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
As far as micro-coaxes go, I see no comparisons with the MCX2. I'm sure others would disagree. I prefer to spend more and get stuff that really works and I can easily get parts for. It makes the hobby a lot more enjoyable. You can find many threads here at RCG about people buying cheap, poorly designed products and spending countless hours and money "fixing" them; with the rationale that it is part of the fun of the hobby. Bull! That gets old real fast. Anyway, that's my rant for the day!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:50 PM
Certifiable
Joined Dec 2012
2,221 Posts
Any advice on which extra batteries, multi-charger, and spare parts it would be a good idea to get up front for the MCX2?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:01 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
Any advice on which extra batteries, multi-charger, and spare parts it would be a good idea to get up front for the MCX2?
Hobbypartz and hobby king both sell batteries. I have the 4 in 1 charger and 4 EFlight batteries. I can't think of any parts that are particularly fragile. It's really quite durable if you don't start "improving" it.

As an alternative, Xheli is selling a Syma quad with 2.4 ghz for $35. A quad will seriously out handle and out perform any coax and FP heli and is far more durable. I bought my 9 yo grandson one for Christmas and he loves it. He was hovering after about 10 minutes and now he flies all over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zge5NJ2i-_Q
http://www.xheli.com/56h-x1-ufo.html
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 05, 2013 at 09:32 AM.