Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:15 PM
Australia, VIC, Narre Warren South
Joined Jul 2012
78 Posts
Discussion
Odd behavior running on Lipo (Solved)

Just finished building my first Quad and while waiting for my Lipo I was running on a power-supply to learn how it handles, all went well.

Put in the Lipo and as soon as throttle is applied one motor goes to about 3/4 throttle and flips.
Turn off level mode and it's better but not usable, switch back to power-supply and all is good again.

I can see in the GUI the Mutliwii is throttling up the motor so i don't think it's a ESC calibration issue.
Zapphoid is offline Find More Posts by Zapphoid
Last edited by Zapphoid; Sep 28, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Feb 2010
59 Posts
Gotta be something different about the setup or how it was hooked up. Lipo electrons aren't any different.
Teej is offline Find More Posts by Teej
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Jul 2012
78 Posts
Setup is no different, the PS has a plug the same as the Lipo, just unplug one and plug in the other, just the Lipo has more grunt
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Jul 2012
78 Posts
Fixed by re-calibrating the ESC using the Lipo, going back to the power-supply results in opposite motors doing the same.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Feb 2010
59 Posts
What's the lipo config? 3s, 4s, whatever?

What's the power supply?

Could be some sort of battery cutoff issue and/or cell type selection in the ESCs (which would control how they would respond to differing voltage).

Saying the "lipo has more grunt" doesn't explain 1 motor going to 3/4 as soon as you raise it above 0 while the rest don't move.

Make sure you've got all your ESCs set to nickel chemistry and no cutoff.
Teej is offline Find More Posts by Teej
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Jul 2012
78 Posts
It's running 3S and the power supply is a little under 12volts.
I don't think it the ESC as the multiwii GUI shows it is throttling up, also it not that the other don't spin, they are about correct for the given throttle.
I need to spend some time on the weekend to do some diagnostics (work gets in the way weekdays)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
898 Posts
The gui showing throttle movement has NOTHING to do with what the esc might be doing. The esc does not communicate with the gui in any way. The esc is itself a separate computer, that must be calibrated to the signal coming from the flight controller. Do a throttle calibration from the tx again, and start from there.

Don't use level mode until rate mode is dialed in. Use the lipo for calibrating. Also make sure that your low voltage cutoff is disabled. (Nimh setting).
Scotth72 is online now Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
78 Posts
The ESC is doing exactly what the controller is telling it, throttle up a single motor a lot more than the others.
I need to check the board voltage to ensure I have 5V with both supplies in case something is a miss and causing the Gyro readings to appear wrong.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
78 Posts
Found the problem,
I need to calibrate the Gyro & Acc via the stick when I change power