HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,441 Posts
Quote:
I found the first two 2835-3900KV motors I tried, worked beautifully, resulting in long flights, vertical climb capability, and components that did not overheat in my regular SS and Easystar. I detailed those results extensively, here and elsewhere, and did not demand that others "take my word for it", nor try to prevent them from expressing ideas contrary to mine. When somebody (and here I mean you) showed up and simply announced that 3900KV motors "wouldn't work" in such an application, of course I ignored it, and simply pointed out what these 3900KV motors had already done. I tend to take concrete results over unbacked assertions.
You still don't get it. In your Easystar application you were using 6 x 4 prop. On the SSS you used (just for luck?) a 3-blade 8 x 6, thinking it would "scale up". Those numbers might not sound very different to you but they are hugely different to the motor, which was why it drew way too much current. Experience flyers like Don know these things and tried to tell you but you ignored the advice. Absent experience there are analytical tools available on the Internet that would have told you the same thing had you bothered to look.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:20 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
The Technical Info/FAQ page for the Super Sky Surfer can be found at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886340
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:24 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
You still don't get it. In your Easystar application you were using 6 x 4 prop. On the SSS you used (just for luck?) a 3-blade 8 x 6, thinking it would "scale up". Those numbers might not sound very different to you but they are hugely different to the motor,
You missed an important point. Keep reading.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:48 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The Technical Info/FAQ page for the Super Sky Surfer can be found at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886340
Jesus Christ!!! We have all seen that post way, WAY too many times. It is your own self-serving post and I for one am getting GD tired of seeing it so many times. STOP!!! Please.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:53 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
You missed an important point. Keep reading.
Another useless post.
AJ
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:13 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
A Proposal

How would everyone feel about starting a new thread that could be monitored by me and co-monitored by TheDon and kaptondave [subject to their acceptance] (to keep me in line)? It would be set up like the Sky S thread which I started 2+ years ago and is currently the most popular thread on RCG (as far as I know). For obvious reasons, it would be for the benefit of most everyone here for the promotion and enjoyment of the Super Sky Surfer for all the readers. Take a look at that thread setup and let me know what you think.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 08, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
How would everyone feel about starting a new thread that could be monitored by me and co-monitored by TheDon and kaptondave [subject to their acceptance] (to keep me in line)?
AJ, are you some kind of masochist? :-)

Seriously though, it's a great idea, especially if early in the thread you could include an update-able standard build page incorporating ideas that have proven themselves over time. That would be very helpful to first timers and would eliminate some excess posts and discussion. There is nothing more frustrating than having to read through 1000 irrelevant posts. Been there, done that...

Cliff
cliffkot is online now Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:34 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
1. AJ, are you some kind of masochist? :-)

Seriously though, it's a great idea, especially if early in the thread
2. you could include an update-able standard build page incorporating ideas that have proven themselves over time. That would be very helpful to first timers and would eliminate some excess posts and discussion. There is nothing more frustrating than having to read through 1000 irrelevant posts. Been there, done that...

Cliff
1. You are probably right. I just have so much fun (and lots of work) with the SkyS thread that it seemed like an opportunity to have a thread that would be useful to everyone and not able to be hijacked.
2. Take a look at Posts #2 & #3 (which are updated frequently) of the Sky Surfer thread and see if that is what you mean.
AJ
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:39 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,972 Posts
Done with this thread
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:55 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
AJ,

I have attempted to read this thread but the use of the thread by L-A as a personal blog makes it useless. Please start a new thread like your original Skysurfer thread but do it you RCgroups blog so you can delete off topic posts or posts you consider inappropriate. Just post the link here and I am sure people would subscribe.

I want to read what Don's opinions are because they are based on years of experience and know-how not absurd comments about using EDF motors with 8 inch prop.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
2. Take a look at Posts #2 & #3 (which are updated frequently) of the Sky Surfer thread and see if that is what you mean.
AJ
Yes, that is the idea - a central resource that can get you started in the right direction. The builder would still have to do some investigation and apply common sense, but at least he'd have a good idea how to procede. I wouldn't include any far out mods, just how to make the airplane fly reasonably well, correcting any glaring deficiencies that may reveal themselves over time.

Cliff
cliffkot is online now Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:56 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
New Thread and a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
If needed I will simply start a thread in my vendor forum where I can moderate posts as needed. I want to talk and discuss with other who have this model and share what we are doing. You may say you are doing the same but you are not, you have seized this thread hostage and we all are forced to read you posts which make Moby Dick seem like a short story. (and now my post too )
I, for one, would be very grateful if you would start a thread on your own vendor forum. I, for one, would subscribe immediately. I started the Sky Surfer thread and it seems to be well received overall. However, I am not sure that I will have the time to do the necessary maintenance that is required (as I am certain you know) to keep up another thread. But, if it is not your desire to do so, I will. This thread needs to be let go immediately as one person has made it useless. When I see the concerns from you and Prof100, it ups the urgency even more. Both you and Prof100 know considerably more than I do. But, given the mess we have now, I don't think I could do any worse. Please let us know if you will start a thread.
Finally, a question, would you consider an external BEC necessary for a stock SSS (since it has 6 servos)? (I am using a 4000mah 3S1P) TIA
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 09, 2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Add LiPo specs
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:07 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

I have attempted to read this thread but the use of the thread by L-A as a personal blog makes it useless. Please start a new thread like your original Skysurfer thread but do it you RCgroups blog so you can delete off topic posts or posts you consider inappropriate. Just post the link here and I am sure people would subscribe.

I want to read what Don's opinions are because they are based on years of experience and know-how not absurd comments about using EDF motors with 8 inch prop.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
Yes, that is the idea - a central resource that can get you started in the right direction. The builder would still have to do some investigation and apply common sense, but at least he'd have a good idea how to procede. I wouldn't include any far out mods, just how to make the airplane fly reasonably well, correcting any glaring deficiencies that may reveal themselves over time.

Cliff
Thanks to both of you for your feedback. I certainly will follow the advice of both of you if I am the one that starts the thread. First, I would like to defer to Don to start a thread because of his vast knowledge and experience.Hopefully, he will acquiesce.
AJ
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:22 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
What you might need prior to maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Ha. Man, LA. You're really gettin the devil...

Is there anyone else that can tell me what to look out for with SSS that we all need to know? Has anyone made any air scoops or holes in the fuse for cooling?
Although I have not maidened mine yet, the only thing I found (so far) that I would call "necessary" is changing out the stock control rods. The stock rods are .032" and woefully skimppy for this plane (i.e. I only use that size is my micro planes). So, I suggest that you use .047" music wire. Be aware though that most LHS sell music wire only in 36" lengths. The length you need is approx. 39" or so. So, you need to solder a bit more onto a 36" music wire (or whatever you are comfortable with-there are several ways to do that).
I hope to have a video very soon to share instead of just talking about it.
AJ
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:33 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
My apologies to all. Sometimes I talk too much. I have now ceased that.

In the future I will posts brief facts about what has worked well.