HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:41 AM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,325 Posts
Thanks for the pics & ideas. I still haven't installed the brakes. Weather for running has been real bad here. We did get hit by hurricane Sandy. My area is almost back to normal but 1000's of homes were washed away along the coast.
We were very lucky here, just the power was out for 3 days and very long gas lines.
microDan is online now Find More Posts by microDan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
Oh no, that was a tragic incident. Hope all is well.

I ended up installing the connector underneath the servo as i didnt want to add weight with the lead entender. It was easy for me to do because i had to change my battery case.

But should be easy to do anyways, as you can see in the photo, i only screwed down one side and used a longer screw and it holds the connector fairly tight.

upon opening the battery case, i now realise you can adjust the rear wheel height, there is a grub hex screw at the end of the battery case.

i still havent tried the light gyro yet, i also have aluminum clutch, not sure if its worth putting in.. will it just make the bike wheelie more due to engaging at higher rpm?
hnm738 is offline Find More Posts by hnm738
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:03 PM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,325 Posts
About the alum clutch, if I remember it doesn't cause wheelies per say it just needs higher RPM to engage the gyro. So you really need to be on the throttle to keep the gyro going and it makes the one way bearing take more of a beating (not good)
The best option for this bike is the alum gyro period. Just enough gyro to overcome the pebbles & stones where you run to keep it from crashing.The weight saved makes the bike faster and more agile. I do have the next step up in the hot motor too, the 4900kv to try also.
I'd like to see 40-45mph as long as the amp draw is not too high and the temps stay reasonable. But all that'll have to wait for spring to come most likely...
Power is out again, about 7 hours now and it's snowing with high winds.
Thankfully I have a nice generator to keep the heat and lights on.....
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
just wanted to reported back, awhile ago i contacted Duratrax regarding the parts i broke that were covered under their stress tech parts. I didnt have much expectation that i would get the parts replaced as i was in Australia, however to my surprise, Duratrax have sent me all the parts that i advise broked, nicely package.

Communications were via email and their response time were ~2-3 days before replying.. could also be the time difference. I advise that i was from AUS and the part number that broke, then i got an email advising the parts will be shipped out shortly. I didnt have to go through the hassle of taking photos or sending back the parts.

Overall very happy with Duratrax's customer service.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
Under what circumstance would someone use this aluminium clutch?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:22 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,395 Posts
I can't imagine where you would use an Al clutch.

Drag from the M-gyro is best avoided by keeping it spinning, if the clutch engages later, then any slower speed stuff is going to lose gyro speed, meaning you get the drag of spinning the gyro back up from lower revolutions when you are chasing full speed down a straight. Well that's my tuppeny worth.

Is there any chance of someone with the front brake kit giving us a few close up pictures? As the slipper clutch fitted the MX, I'm wondering if the brake kit might fit also...
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Nov 10, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
This photo you can see the servo arm and the metal plates (brake pads)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
this is looking from the bottom up
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
just on the rear bead lock wheel, before i had issues with the tyre coming off. i then put in some drops on CA tire glue and now there is no slippage of the tires. just 2 or 3 drops. you dont want to glue the whole tire other wise it would be a pain to remove.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Does anyone hopup the DXR500 front wheel to orange aluminum wheel? Thinking of fixing the front brake as shown in the picture by hnm738.
alanonly is offline Find More Posts by alanonly
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:41 PM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,325 Posts
I have the orange no gyro rear wheel. Plan on trying it out on my second DXR500.
Keeping the stock plastic front wheel is much better for crashes. I did crack one spoke in a big crash and it was replaced under warranty. The alum wheel will transfer energy to break something else or bend and thats a little expensive.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Does the orange aluminum front wheel brake disc mount same as the stock front wheel to attach the brake disc? That means the stock front wheel had a triangular mount with 3 screws holes for mounting the brake disc. Does the orange wheel has it?
alanonly is offline Find More Posts by alanonly
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:23 AM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,325 Posts
http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxc4863-manual.pdf
All the stock brake parts bolt right on to the alum wheel.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:31 AM
RC Basher
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
I picked up a used dxr500 a few weeks ago and haven really gotten to run it as I needed to order a stabilizer bar set. I have however ran the motor to spin the wheels while on the stand. I noticed some vibration in the rear wheel and I think there is a slight flat spot on that tire as well. I took the rear wheel apart to get a look at the I nee workings and to see if I could find something out if wack but I didn't. I do know that I have the steel flywheel with no weights.

My question is how much vibration does the bike typically have if any?

I'm including a link to a video I took just to show you guys what I'm experiencing. I've never had a bike before so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Thanks

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...31D9CA138E.mp4
Jersey Crewmax is online now Find More Posts by Jersey Crewmax
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:29 AM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,325 Posts
Good vid, it seems about normal except for a bit more noise. Only a short burst or pumping the throttle is needed to get things going enough for stabilization. When you hold the throttle excessively the RPM gets real high making more noise and the bearings and one way bearing take a beating. Just run it like it is. If there is a bad part in there it'll just let go and make it obvious which part to change. As long as it's working run the bike and have fun.
If you need a complete new bike RTR NIB I have them for $275 local pick up, you're only about 35 minutes away.