NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Ok thanks fellas.
Looks like a yes on the gyro.
May be ordering some more of these gems...this time for myself!
Jim
Jim, it says "Gyroscopes System" directly over the "S107"

SCORE

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:12 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
They sure are cute
Dear Scotsoft,
I know your love for the S111G Coast Guard, which I have recommended. But I was talking about the 'other' teeny weeny S110G. Now, how cute is that!
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Jim, it says "Gyroscopes System" directly over the "S107"

SCORE

Mike.
Holy moly,
BIG score on me Mike.
For once, ya got me.
I did not even notice that...oops.
Thanks bud,
Jim
Stamp is online now Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Holy moly,
BIG score on me Mike.
For once, ya got me.
I did not even notice that...oops.
Thanks bud,
Jim
It looks like I have the same box. The "Gyroscopes System" is hard to see....it seems to blend in. Where your's says "Sky Master" mine says "CD Toys" and it is a "peel-off" sticker.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:51 AM
My toilet water has TBE
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
I made a little hook out of an ornament hanger and put a little loop of wire on a small cardboard game piece. I was trying to re-create one of my favorite toys from childhood, Vertibird!
Wow, nice snag, Slim!
That was something I thought I would be doing (rescuing survivors) before I happened along this thread that has info about adding weight to our copters. So, I've just been doing landing maneuvers and, of late, practicing on fancy touch n gos. My neighbor is getting a little copter this spring and I hope to be in good form to kick his butt in the touch n go game.
stickman0236 is offline Find More Posts by stickman0236
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:41 AM
My toilet water has TBE
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpirre View Post
I have a tall tin can, I try landing on top of it. Or, and this is tricky, hook the tail on the edge of the can, without dropping the copter. I'll try filming it this weekend
I'm using a 5" diameter can o peanuts. Yeah, I'm kicking around ideas for extra-point situations for the touch n go game. A tail touch was one but it might be hard to prove that it wasn't lucky. That's still a good one for personal practice. Looking forward to the vid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemebean View Post
I've been trying to land on every flat surface in my house. The couches and chairs are tricky because you get prop wash coming off the back of the chair and bouncing you around.

Also, if you want to add a bit of difficulty to navigating the tight spaces, take off the unnecessary tail pieces so the cg moves forward and it won't hover completely still. Makes things a bit more exciting when you know you can't just stop and regroup if you get into trouble.

If you just want something different, try taking out the weights in the balance bar. It makes the helicopter super unstable, which can be fun in its own right. Heck, when everybody got these at Christmas, I think we had almost as much fun with the crappy ones somebody bought that had bad gyros as we did with the S107. It's a challenge to keep control of a helicopter that won't stop spinning, except at certain throttle positions (not that that will happen to an S107, but it's kind of the same general idea).
Yup! A trained eye would notice my place has been re-arranged for copter landings. Even before, if it was flat it was a landing pad
I noticed that when you remove the larger tail feather, the copter is less prone to prop wash. So, with that, I adjusted the battery a bit to account for the different CG and I have a very slight forward tendency at a hover. They seem easier to land that way. Shame it takes away from their looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Have you tried landing on your own head, yet? NO, DON'T DO THAT.
I mis-read that at first. You said DON'T do that. Maybe that would account for my baldness..?
I did experience the power of the rotating blades a few days ago during a fly-by. A warning to all; make sure all nipples are covered and well away from the flight path. yeeouch!
stickman0236 is offline Find More Posts by stickman0236
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:14 AM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
701 Posts
Hi everyone, newbie with ?'s.

Have about 15 charge/flight cycles on my s107, no damages yet, I have had TWO tall motors fail on me though! Both after only 5-6 flights each, no i'm not trying to run the tail mirror when the blades are blocked by anything. I figured they would be a little fragile so I have paid special care in avoiding binding the motors under power. This 3rd is my last one...

What kills them & are their any true tail upgrades? Like a brushless option, not a bigger brushed motor. Or at least if it is brushed, not prone to failure...

Thanks,
~psguardian
psguardian is online now Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Slipping Upper Rotor

Hi guys,

Very new to RC Heli's (got one this xmas), but good with mechanical stuff. Anyway, I have been... reckless with my S107. I broke one and just got another, but now I have the same problem and am looking to fix them.

After flying into a ceiling/wall and crashing to the ground a couple times, the upper rotor no longer spins. It feels like I am turning a gear when I try to turn it, where before, it appeared to spin freely. Is this a common problem for newb pilots? Is the type of thing I can just glue or replace with a high degree of reliability? I guess I am a little wary of deciding for myself what is broken and what isn't when I have no experience and 2 broken helicopters.

Is it worth replacing parts, or at 30 bucks, should I just get another copter AND some spare parts? I think I saw a place offering a free bag of replacement parts with purchase.
Sprode is offline Find More Posts by Sprode
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:00 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,199 Posts
Check and see if your upper blades are dead not spinning, or spinning up slowly. If it is not spinning at all, something is broken. If it is spinning up slowing, something is missing. Pay special attention to the gears, if all the gears seem to be spinning fast and at about the same speed, your motors and gears are okay. A common problem is the rotor head slipping, not locking tightly to the inner shaft (which you cannot see). Try re-seating the upper head and see if it cures the problem.

Here's what you need to do. There are two locking screw just below the top flybar. Loosen them and then pull the entire head assembly straight up and off the shaft. Now that you have a clear view of the shaft, notice that there is a cut notch near the top, about 2mm of the end. That's where the locking screws should be locking. If the screw is not locking on this surface, or it is somehow loose, the shaft would be spinning, but the energy is not transferred to the blades. So, carefully line up the notch and one of the screws, slip the head assembly all the way down, then tighten both locking screws, one on the flat surface, the other behind it. If you've done that right, you'd have fixed your helicopter.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Apr 2005
375 Posts
Quote:

I ordered a couple of Syma S107s Blue from them because of their attractive 2-pack deals. 2 for $39 shipped. The deal is still live as I write this. I placed my order Sunday afternoon and I received my order today. The helicopters were shipped from a US warehouse, in a plastic bag, no outer box. There were very minor damages on the boxes, but the contents were in perfect condition.
The package deal is still valid today. However, the free shipping does not include delivery to P. O. Boxes, U. S.military with APO/FPO addresses, Alaska, Hawaii, and U. S. Protectorates.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Check and see if your upper blades are dead not spinning, or spinning up slowly. If it is not spinning at all, something is broken. If it is spinning up slowing, something is missing. Pay special attention to the gears, if all the gears seem to be spinning fast and at about the same speed, your motors and gears are okay. A common problem is the rotor head slipping, not locking tightly to the inner shaft (which you cannot see). Try re-seating the upper head and see if it cures the problem.

Here's what you need to do. There are two locking screw just below the top flybar. Loosen them and then pull the entire head assembly straight up and off the shaft. Now that you have a clear view of the shaft, notice that there is a cut notch near the top, about 2mm of the end. That's where the locking screws should be locking. If the screw is not locking on this surface, or it is somehow loose, the shaft would be spinning, but the energy is not transferred to the blades. So, carefully line up the notch and one of the screws, slip the head assembly all the way down, then tighten both locking screws, one on the flat surface, the other behind it. If you've done that right, you'd have fixed your helicopter.
I appreciate a prompt reply and a good explanation. I removed the head of my heli, and the upper shaft is not spinning at all. I looked at the gears, and they are all spinning except for the bottom bull gear in the center. It looks like it may have been supposed to be contacting with the spur gear in the rear gear-stack. Could those two have come out of alignment somehow?

I'm looking at

And I am seeing this

Do I need to pull the shaft and realign the gears or did I done broke somethin? Hope my pics show...
Sprode is offline Find More Posts by Sprode
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman0236 View Post
I'm using a 5" diameter can o peanuts. Yeah, I'm kicking around ideas for extra-point situations for the touch n go game. A tail touch was one but it might be hard to prove that it wasn't lucky. That's still a good one for personal practice. Looking forward to the vid!
It's been a busy weekend and I'm still new to flying, I just tried it with a single charge but I couldn't get it right, and destroyed a tail rotor in the process, lol.
I'll post it here if I manage to get it right and on video.
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:35 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprode View Post
Do I need to pull the shaft and realign the gears or did I done broke somethin? Hope my pics show...
I just pressed mine into place; it hasn't dropped back down for the last 50 (+/-) flights.
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
They sure are cute

The S026G is great to fly and much better (IMO) than the S102G although I have the S102G as well

Time to make an aircraft carrier "deck" out of a 2' x 4' (suspended ceiling) tile!

(Manards will usually give ya' a broken one free,... if you can find one before they throw it out)
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:48 PM
Buy it, Mod it, Fly it!!
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindecay View Post
Thanks John, think I'll order some spares as I will eventually need some anyway and just keep flying until whatever it is comes back or fails...
Well there we have it... John knows his S107's like the back of his hand!
My little helis rear motor (top blades) has given up..
Turned it on this morning and no power to lift off. I picked it up and felt it trying to turn in my hand ( bottom blades spinning like mad but top just trundling around. Turned it off and on but this time had to push start the top blades, repeated the above one more time and now there is nothing on the top blades at all.....what huge bummer...not ordered my parts yet either.
Off to the back of the class I should go and write a thousand lines consisting of: I should of listened to John, I should of listened to John, I ***************
braindecay is offline Find More Posts by braindecay