HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I should've sent you guys a picture of what one of my 4s 4000 Gens Ace batteries looked like after my signal loss incident. I'm suprised (shocked actually) that it didn't explode.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
Interesting quote from Joe Smith from another forum...

Gens Ace seem to be consistently rated high, but I can never find them in stock.
everyone of my gens ace have failed. No more. Been running a haylin (3s 2200) for the past few weeks, probably 50 cycles(I fly that 48 epp a lot!). Run a hyperion in the same plane, both come down about the same temp. both nice power. Eventually I may try a pair of 4s 4000 for the 25% planes.
robj is online now Find More Posts by robj
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:47 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
Interesting quote from Joe Smith from another forum...

Gens Ace seem to be consistently rated high, but I can never find them in stock.
I have had a problem with five Gens Ace packs....one dropped a cell 46 days after the date I paid for it, but 36 days after I actually received it, and Hobby Partz refused to warranty it as it was past the 30 day warranty. And I have five others that have puffed....all 3S 1800mAH packs.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,445 Posts
I am happy with Glacier lipo great power and service... Stock should be in around Dec 10th according to there website, and they usually have stock otherwise.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:56 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
The smaller gen ace batts are not that good. I have had all mine go out on me. The larger 4s 4k and 4s 5.3K have been rock solid. The 5.3s are 2 years old and still gettin it. I got 400 cycles out of my 2 year old 4Ks before i retired them. My other 1.5 year old packs have almost 300 cycles and are still very strong. I just bought 4 more but in the 60c instead of the 25c. My brother has had great luck with his larger gen aces too but his smaller ones(1500 & 1800) have all puffed.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:07 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
The smaller gen ace batts are not that good. I have had all mine go out on me. The larger 4s 4k and 4s 5.3K have been rock solid. The 5.3s are 2 years old and still gettin it. I got 400 cycles out of my 2 year old 4Ks before i retired them. My other 1.5 year old packs have almost 300 cycles and are still very strong. I just bought 4 more but in the 60c instead of the 25c. My brother has had great luck with his larger gen aces too but his smaller ones(1500 & 1800) have all puffed.
Hotay...so no more small Gens Ace packs....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
exactly my experience as well, all my 450, 1550 and 1800 are done with 50-80 cycles, larger ones like 4s and 6s 2500mah are doing well with over 100 cycles
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:57 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
I think it is a lot tougher to build a really good small battery compared to the larger capacity. Last year I looked into a manufacturer that I was considering ordering batteries from to re-sell as a small business. The samples they sent over were junk up until the 1800 mah size. I am still using one of the 3s 2200 packs and it is one of my best packs. I decided not to do any business with them because of the problems across the lower capacity part of their product mix. Anyway, I think it is easier to have good success with the larger capacities so a company that makes really good small batteries should be commended.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:43 PM
Big G
Defiance, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
54 Posts
brathanke

Thanks for the tip on ironing the covering. That sight had some good information. I got all the wrinkles out and reapplied the clear covering over the black. Now I just hope it stays down. Going to try an edge sealing pen that B & E Graphix sells. Should be here next week. Maybe that will keep the stuff down.

Thanks again for the link

Big G
gtimmons is offline Find More Posts by gtimmons
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
I wonder what's different as my older slick(from the first batch of the new design, both my 51 and 71) the black has not separated. Now there has been 4 newer slick, the velox, and 2 edges and they all have had that issue.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:01 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimmons View Post
brathanke

Thanks for the tip on ironing the covering. That sight had some good information. I got all the wrinkles out and reapplied the clear covering over the black. Now I just hope it stays down. Going to try an edge sealing pen that B & E Graphix sells. Should be here next week. Maybe that will keep the stuff down.

Thanks again for the link

Big G
That pen sounds like a good idea. I have just been using clear fingernail polish to seal the edges of covering on my gasser.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:04 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,174 Posts
I think iron on coverings are changing due to environmental concerns. I know that the Monokote being sold today is not the same as what was sold years ago. When Monokote is applied now, it smells like the vinyl that is used for blow up kids swimming pools, it never used to smell like that...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:09 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Well that sucks. Makes sense to me
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:21 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,012 Posts
Has anyone done the aluminum gear mod on this? I think ill be getting one
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Last edited by Park_aviator; Dec 06, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:24 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,174 Posts
So....when I built my 71" Slick, there was a problem with the "T" nut in the right wing, and I had to take it out and replace it...no biggy, except that the barbs on the "T" nut were bent over on the plywood backing inside the wing, and by the time I was able to get it out, the wing root rib had cracked as the plywood broke loose..Arghhhh!! I installed a new "T" nut, and epoxied the plywood back in, and CA'd the root rib, and while it felt very solid, I was never really comfortable enough with it to really wring the plane out hard, So....during the Black Friday sale, I ordered a new wing, and just received it today....

Now the reason I am posting this, is as we all know 3DHS does a great job of packing stuff, and as long at UPS doesn't let their pet gorillas get a hold of things, it gets here in good shape, and this one did....but... I had just run out of one foot wide small bubble wrap recently, and I was going to have to go buy some.....Nope!! I now have about 30' of bubble wrap that was wrapped around that wing.....

So to the Noll, and Wade.....Thanks for the fast shipping....and the bubble wrap!!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member