Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:00 PM
dead sexy
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2006
400 Posts
Help!
install Spektrum SR410 to a Traxxas Slash

Has anyone done this?
I just got a Spektrum DX4C that came with teh SR410 reciever.
i am in the middle of installing it and i've hit a snag.
The plugs from the Traxxas don't fit the Spektrum reciever.
There is a little tab on the Traxxas plugs that make it so you would need to remove them to get it to fit. Is this what people do?
I found nothing on the web about this.

I find it hard to believe that i'm the first to try this.

help?

groan is offline Find More Posts by groan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groan View Post
There is a little tab on the Traxxas plugs that make it so you would need to remove them to get it to fit. Is this what people do?
yes..... just trim the tab off with a hobby knife

imgumby
imgumby is offline Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:18 PM
dead sexy
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2006
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgumby View Post
yes..... just trim the tab off with a hobby knife

imgumby
I figured it was that easy.
I was freaking out for nothing.
sorry for the freak out everyone!

thanks for the cool down.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:11 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,641 Posts
Some manufacturers use that tab to prevent the plug from getting inserted the wrong way. Not that anything will break then, as they've cleverly designed it so that the positive wire is in the middle, so no chance on reversing input voltage or so. If the receiver has no slots, just cut these off, as already suggested.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2014
791 Posts
solo .. i disagree with ur statement.." Not that anything will break then, as they've cleverly designed it so that the positive wire is in the middle, so no chance on reversing input voltage or so. If the receiver has no slots,""

I have seen recivers go pop with smoke.. and also seen servos get a nice glow in them as the rf modual melts and servo no longer works.. traxxas -futaba-spektrums.KO's..

My warning is be careful when plugging in a rx plug even though some manufactures say reverse protection ..dont mean it does work
ElectricMann is offline Find More Posts by ElectricMann
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:30 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,641 Posts
It's not about reverse protection, there is nothing to reverse. The positive terminal stays where it should, only the pulse and negative get switched. Putting negative on the pulse wire should not hurt, as negative in this case is zero volt. Maybe the pulse output won't like getting shorted to ground, but in that case only the receiver is at risk.

The servo has no RF module, only the transmitter and receiver. The servo doesn't connect directly to the transmitter, it has a wire for communication with the receiver, and that is no RF signal. RF stands for Radio Frequency.

Maybe I've been lucky, or only using stuff that is really protected, as during the time I revived my love for RC stuff, and started using the new connectors (Futaba/JR instead of Robbe or MicroProp) which could be inserted 180 degrees turned, I've never fried a servo or receiver or ESC.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:07 AM
The Master of Disaster
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Apr 2014
85 Posts
I would agree with the previous statement, as I have worked with servos and escs in robotics as well as in Rc. The servos are about the same as a hobby grade one (when they aren't a hobby grade one) and when we plug things backwards it never hurts anything, it just doesn't work until we flip it back.
SlimBreaky is offline Find More Posts by SlimBreaky
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:47 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
It's not about reverse protection, there is nothing to reverse. The positive terminal stays where it should, only the pulse and negative get switched. Putting negative on the pulse wire should not hurt, as negative in this case is zero volt. Maybe the pulse output won't like getting shorted to ground, but in that case only the receiver is at risk.

The servo has no RF module, only the transmitter and receiver. The servo doesn't connect directly to the transmitter, it has a wire for communication with the receiver, and that is no RF signal. RF stands for Radio Frequency.

Maybe I've been lucky, or only using stuff that is really protected, as during the time I revived my love for RC stuff, and started using the new connectors (Futaba/JR instead of Robbe or MicroProp) which could be inserted 180 degrees turned, I've never fried a servo or receiver or ESC.
Second all that..........I think old Sanwa/Airtronics stuff could be smoked by plugging in backwards but as SP said the newer most common wiring convention puts the signal and negatives to the outside and no harm will come from inadvertently plugging in reversed
Of course one should always be mindful when plugging in for the first time on some vague piece of kit like .....radiopost for instance ..
imgumby
imgumby is offline Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Aug 24, 2014, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2014
791 Posts
i will bet you if u have a 20 amp Ubec installed and u plug a servo in opposite it will cook.. and no longer work with all RX's on market..I have tested on top 5 brands.. air-fut-spek-fry-RP-traxx
ElectricMann is offline Find More Posts by ElectricMann
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:34 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMann View Post
i will bet you if u have a 20 amp Ubec installed and u plug a servo in opposite it will cook.. and no longer work with all RX's on market..I have tested on top 5 brands.. air-fut-spek-fry-RP-traxx
So in one specific situation, with a very high power UBEC, it may fail. How many cars will use a 20A UBEC? If you need so much power for the servos, you are probably talking a big scale car anyway, where a seperate receiver battery might be a better option anyway.

Also, you can't compare a UBEC to a regular BEC, as it uses a way different method to generate the reduced voltage. A BEC uses a voltage regulator, and generally loses the excess voltage as heat, whereas a UBEC uses pulses to generate the required voltage. This gives it a much higher efficiency, but also has the risk of making the receiver glitch. To prevent this, you often see a ferrite ring supplied with the UBEC. It's possible these pulses are what kills the servo when the plug is reversed, as instead of solid ground, 0 voltage, which is harmless to the servo electronics pulse receiver circuit, a pulsed power signal is sent. Again, this is a different situation that what most users will experience, as they use the ESC's BEC, or seperate receiver battery, where the black wire is simply 0 volts, so harmless to the servo board, if plugged in backwards.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:45 PM
The Master of Disaster
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Apr 2014
85 Posts
I think we all should stop this nonsense of one person trying to state how wrong the other is. For some cases it is pretty safe to plug things in backwards, in some cases it is not. The main goal is to just plug it in the right way every time. The only thing that needed to come out of this for groan is that the tab is there so the plug's polarity to the receiver is correct, and that yes, it can indeed be trimmed off.
SlimBreaky is offline Find More Posts by SlimBreaky
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:16 PM
dead sexy
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2006
400 Posts
Thanks guys,
I let this run it's course because it appeared to need to.

In the end I looked at the original, how the plugs were situated with the +-s and snapped off the tabs then plugged them into the Traxxas Rx in the same orientation.

Checked it a few times to be sure as I didn't want to take a chance. i did that the moment I got the first reply last week.

Thanks again guys. I do hope the conversation comes to a conclusion by someone just doing a test on some junk material. See what happens then come back and tell us. Then we will all know.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:26 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimBreaky View Post
I think we all should stop this nonsense of one person trying to state how wrong the other is. For some cases it is pretty safe to plug things in backwards, in some cases it is not. The main goal is to just plug it in the right way every time. The only thing that needed to come out of this for groan is that the tab is there so the plug's polarity to the receiver is correct, and that yes, it can indeed be trimmed off.
You're right, and believe me, I try to not respond to every "I know it all answer". But when personal experience is presented as universal truth (from another topic, poster can't find AE parts in the LHS around him, extrapolating that to the remark that AE parts are generally hard to find, when many shops have good inventory) or soething breaking down in a very specific setup (20A UBEC) to that it will break always, when there are enough examples that in many cases it just won't work, but no harm is done, I felt some refinement is needed. And there are more examples.

But we can agree that it's best to check and double check polarity of any plug before inserting it, as not every rc device will be so forgiving as a receiver powered by a more commonly used bec or receiver battery.

@groan: my apology for not cutting this short (pun intended) sooner, and hope you enjoy running your truck.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Aug 25, 2014 at 02:33 AM.