HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2014, 06:58 PM
Mx400
Joined Nov 2008
23 Posts
Question
Hpi savage x 4.6

So I'm breaking this thing in and have a couple questions.

1. The clutch with wheels off the ground keeps engaged or stutters. No matter how low I try to get it to idle the wheels never completely stop.

2. The engine temps climb pretty quick. Like 260-270 in just a few minutes. I'm getting smoke and even raw fuel out of the exhaust and everything except idle screw is stock like from factory. What should I do? I did the pinch test and it seems to do just fine. Idle up just a touch for a few seconds.
gablett is offline Find More Posts by gablett
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2014, 07:22 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,439 Posts
I wonder if your clutch return spring is bad. You want to have smoke you may be getting oil out of the exhaust. This is normal. if the engine is not loading up with fuel and stalling out your settings should be good.They will change day to day depending on the temp and humidity. You can always lean it a bit and see how it goes. just small changes.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old May 05, 2014, 08:45 AM
The Master of Disaster
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Apr 2014
85 Posts
As I recall, the car should always try to move its wheels during idle when the engine is not under load. As long as it doesn't move on the ground, it should be fine.
SlimBreaky is offline Find More Posts by SlimBreaky
Old May 05, 2014, 10:12 AM
Mx400
Joined Nov 2008
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimBreaky View Post
As I recall, the car should always try to move its wheels during idle when the engine is not under load. As long as it doesn't move on the ground, it should be fine.
That is what I thought. But in the manual it says the wheels should not spin when held in the air. Maybe the manual is wrong. Wouldnt be the first time.
Old May 05, 2014, 10:47 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,439 Posts
HPi manuals are pretty good. You may need to clean the clutch bell .You could have material from the pad on the inside of the bell housing. You should have no movement when the truck is at an idle. The engine needs to be free during idling. I believe you have the three clutch shoes in that truck ( pg.28 of the manual?) I bet one of them is bad. There a cheap fix but bit of a pain to replace. If this is a new truck they may need to wear in a bit. I would check the springs just to be on the safe side.
Old May 06, 2014, 07:44 AM
Mx400
Joined Nov 2008
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
HPi manuals are pretty good. You may need to clean the clutch bell .You could have material from the pad on the inside of the bell housing. You should have no movement when the truck is at an idle. The engine needs to be free during idling. I believe you have the three clutch shoes in that truck ( pg.28 of the manual?) I bet one of them is bad. There a cheap fix but bit of a pain to replace. If this is a new truck they may need to wear in a bit. I would check the springs just to be on the safe side.
They looked to be in good shape to me. But while I was changing to a vented 16t bell I changed them out for HPI aluminum shoes. So I will see how that goes. The truck doesnt move at idle when on the ground. Its only when the truck is in the air with no resistance that they spin.
Old May 06, 2014, 09:43 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,439 Posts
I think you will be good . That aluminum clutch will wear in in a few runs
Old May 11, 2014, 09:36 AM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
459 Posts
How high is your idle set? Try to close it up to less than a 1mm. If it still idles where it makes the wheels spin your low speed may need adjusting.

When the wheels are off the ground they should spin a little but only because there's no weight on the drivetrain. They should easily be stopped just by placing a finger on the wheels.
Barracuz is offline Find More Posts by Barracuz