SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2014, 09:22 AM
Lockport NY
Joined Jan 2010
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
Thanks Joe, I just ordered a new tiller arm set and some light springs from Dreamworks. We'll see if they work.
Mine lands super slow like a regular sport plane. CG and throws as recommended. How did you get it nose heavy. I had to put both ECU and receiver batteries in the nose with a K-80
toolmaker49 is offline Find More Posts by toolmaker49
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2014, 01:14 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,282 Posts
First off mine isn't terribly nose heavy, my C.G. is 12 3/4. The reason mine balanced there without any lead is that I have everything as far forward as possible. I'm running an old P80 with a version 5.0 ecu that has not been converted to run on lipo or life batteries so there is a 3000mah nimh pack up in the nose as well as my RX life pack so that helps alot. I hate adding dead weight to my planes so I figure if I need the extra weight then why not stick a bigger battery in there. The bad landing was all my fault, I came in too hot with not enough flap and rushed the touch down. I will add some flap deflection and try again, I was worried that I would stall it on the first flight and made a mistake.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Dec 23, 2014, 08:53 AM
Lockport NY
Joined Jan 2010
82 Posts
They like a lot of flap on landing. Use 1/2 flap for the pattern and deploy full flap on final she'll slow right down. I think mine are set at 70 deg. Let me know and I'll measure what I have.
toolmaker49 is offline Find More Posts by toolmaker49
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:16 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,282 Posts
If you could measure that would be great, my current setting is 35° and 55°, they are setup on a 2 position switch.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:09 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,588 Posts
J;
I know you asked Mike but I thought I would give you my settings. I just measured my plane and the full flap deflection setting is 80 deg.

Also, some of you have bought some cockpit tubs and I have had a few questions about gluing the canopy to the tub and how I mounted my canopy to the plane. I have attached a few photos.

To glue the canopy to the tub I first finish the tub and then set it on top of the fuse. You will notice that there is a little deflection of the tub where the pilot "sits". I position the tub on the fuse and then use small pieces of masking tape to hold the tub to the fuse. I then glue the canopy to the tub and let dry. Once the glue is dry I then remove the masking tape.

To mount the canopy to the fuse I use a BVM canopy latch at the front (with a notch in the fuse to keep the "latch" from moving side to side) and a 6-23 bolt and blind nut at the rear.

Also, when I sent the canopies I sent the tub and three pieces. One is the seat back and the other two pieces can be used for an instrument panel and the other was intended to simulate a "box" that is typically seen behind seats on jets in the 1950's/

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Dec 23, 2014, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2013
265 Posts
Ed got my tubs thank's
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Dec 23, 2014, 04:34 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,282 Posts
Ed thanks for the flap setting, I have not measured mine yet but will tonight. Do you notice any tip stall tendancy with that much throw? I'm just a little worried about getting it too slow and dropping a wing on my base to final turn.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 04:49 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Ed thanks for the flap setting, I have not measured mine yet but will tonight. Do you notice any tip stall tendancy with that much throw? I'm just a little worried about getting it too slow and dropping a wing on my base to final turn.
J:

My landing procedure is to drop full flaps on downwind then gear down (this is something that came from my UAV days many years ago when I was told get the flaps and gear down on the downwind and get the plane trimmed). It will definitely slow down on the turn from downwind to base and base to final so I have to make sure that I carry about 1/2 throttle. Once I turn final, I then reduce the throttle once I am over the threshold or once I have decided I can make the runway I will reduce the throttle. The plane has straight nose down stall in level flight but it will drop a wing (really pronounced) if you don't have power on in the turns (this is not the case with no flaps). The base to final turn is always the one that I need to concentrate on the most.

I have to admit that I still don't have a lot of flights on the new Navy Cat (maybe about 10-15) as I have not flown since early August for a number of health related reasons but things are getting better and I hope to be back flying shortly after the first of the year. I am sure you could land the plane with a lot less flap deflection (say 45-50 deg.) but I have always believed that I want as much drag from the flaps as possible and then just use the throttle to manage the altitude.

Ed
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:15 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,282 Posts
Thanks again Ed, I checked my flaps and I'm getting 50° at full deflection so that should be good right? As I mentioned earlier the botched landing was mostly my fault but I really think the super stiff springs on the main gear legs didn't help, I've ordered some "light" springs and hope to have better luck with them.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again Ed, I checked my flaps and I'm getting 50° at full deflection so that should be good right? As I mentioned earlier the botched landing was mostly my fault but I really think the super stiff springs on the main gear legs didn't help, I've ordered some "light" springs and hope to have better luck with them.
J:
I don't see any reason that 50 deg. will not work. I think that my Falcon 120 EDF has about 50 deg. and it lands well.

I still have some problems with consistency in my landings and IMHO it ALL goes back to angle of attack and SPEED. If you get the speed right and the nose up about 10 deg. is will just settle very nicely. I have my really good days, my good days and my "what the heck was that" days with regards to my landings.

Ed
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,197 Posts
I found on the first Falcon 120 I built which has the split flaps, if you went too far on flap deflection it seem to make it a bit unstable at low speeds as aileron effectiveness was lost, now I dont like using a lot of throw, so might be ok for the guys who set there models up with a a lot of control surface movement, but to me anymore than 60 deg was not nice.

I found with adding about 8mm aileron reflex it also helped how it handled at low speeds.
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined May 2008
443 Posts
If you read some of the old Tornado posts, they said don't exceed 3.5" of flap deflection ... It will get unstable. That is about what I have, don't know degrees. I am also using about .25" crow. Having the Cg back certainly helps, but at least for me I need to insure the nose is high and the wing is basically stalled at the point the wheels touch down. That avoids the dreaded bunny hop. I have about 32 flights on mine and get good landings most of the time. If you are too high or low, go around. Forcing it down wile it is still flying is bad news.
gsm026 is offline Find More Posts by gsm026
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Joined May 2008
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaker49 View Post
Mine lands super slow like a regular sport plane. CG and throws as recommended. How did you get it nose heavy. I had to put both ECU and receiver batteries in the nose with a K-80
Mine is nose heavy with a K80G. I had to move the ECU battery back in front of the fuel tank and I still have quite a bit of lead in the booms.

Falcons are different in the turbine mounting area; mine is a navy cat.

Greg
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm026 View Post
Mine is nose heavy with a K80G. I had to move the ECU battery back in front of the fuel tank and I still have quite a bit of lead in the booms.

Falcons are different in the turbine mounting area; mine is a navy cat.

Greg
Greg is correct. I have the Navy Cat as a turbine and the Falcon 120 as an EDF. The flat "motor mount section" of the plane is 1" longer on the Falcon 120 than on the Navy Cat. It is much easier and probably more likely to have a Navy Cat come in nose heavy than it is a Falcon 120.

Greg: I measured my flap deflection and it is 3.75" from bottom of wing to flap at the trailing edge. Listening (actually reading) what you guys have said about flaps I will probably take some of the flap deflection out of the Navy Cat and see how it lands.

Ed
Old Today, 12:20 AM
Joined May 2008
443 Posts
Ed,

I wish I had a bit more drag so that I could throttle up more, but I have not tried more than 3.5" due to the warnings. Regarding dropping a wing, I've intentionally stalled mine twice in the landing configuration. First time stayed level, second time gently dropped a wing.

Greg