HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:16 AM
Joined Nov 2013
42 Posts
Discussion
Would this work as FPV Monitor.

Seen these on ebay.

Not my line but it seems to me as if they should/might work as a monitor from video receiver????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-3-TFT-LC...item43b10bbbaa
chrisdiddle is offline Find More Posts by chrisdiddle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:21 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdiddle View Post
Seen these on ebay.

Not my line but it seems to me as if they should/might work as a monitor from video receiver????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-3-TFT-LC...item43b10bbbaa
Not very well. It is mirror image reversed! Note where it says, "Reversed rear view." That's exactly what it is, a mirror image.

It's also a bit small.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Nov 2013
42 Posts
I didnt really pick the best one as an example. There are also 7" ones on ebay for 25 and others where you can change the image view sothey can be used as dvd monitors etc.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
I am using a 4" monitor at present, too small in my opinion. Many of those auto monitors have a switch to reverse the image.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
unless someones tried the specific monitor, you wont know if it bluescreens till after you buy it. that could be an issue.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
183 Posts
I do really like this one! http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251267629702
I don't own it jet, a friend of my does, so I can't tell about the blue screen. But it has 800x480 resolution and is a bit bigger which makes it better to look at.

I don't care about the blue screen that much. Just be sure your antennas are really good.
NL_Quint is offline Find More Posts by NL_Quint
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
no antennas are that good. unless you have a directional antenna, its only a matter of time before you fly over yourself and fall into the signal void. Monitor goes blue, and in many cases, it will never reach the signal threshold to ever resume showing the picture...

simply put, blue screen is a deal breaker unless its a backup monitor or something. Every pilot needs atleast 1 monitor that is gaurenteed to show static.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Nov 11, 2013, 05:27 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,258 Posts
Quote:
I don't care about the blue screen that much. Just be sure your antennas are really good.
When you crash because of a BSOD you will think different. I have backup monitor that doesn't blue screen and neither do my Fat Sharks. One Off field landing (read crash) 2 Km away convinced me.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Nov 11, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
My understanding and what I personally have experienced by placing a DVR between the RX and the Monitor fixes the Bluescreen problem. The DVR will keep the monitor from blue screening.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
My understanding and what I personally have experienced by placing a DVR between the RX and the Monitor fixes the Bluescreen problem. The DVR will keep the monitor from blue screening.
That is one of the solutions. I did that as an interim fix until acquiring a monitor that doesn't blue screen. It does introduce another point of failure if the DVR malfunctions. (I experienced this and it went blue screen)

My setup actually has three screens that can be used to get the aircraft home. The Video Tx goes to a video splitter--out of that I run a 7" no blue screen monitor, Fat Sharks, and a DVR with a 2.5" screen. I sometimes throw on a 4" backup monitor I made into homemade goggles for a spectator. Only downside it does go blue screen.

All the above equipment is run off car start booster battery that runs for a long time. I charge it about 3 to 4 times a flying season.

All this may sound like over kill but I have found it to be very reliable and that's the name of the game.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Nov 12, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Thanks for sharing 1fullbird, as I am learning and can use all the help I can get. I also agree, better safe then sorry.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined Nov 2013
42 Posts
I bought a 4.3" reversing monitor...
They are set to show a reverse picture when you select reverve gear but normal when watching a DVD or whatever.

Quite a good picture but at the moment I need something cheap to sent and receive the signal.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:19 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
2,756 Posts
I'm using a Panasonic 9", it will run off 3s lipo, comes with shade and very bright. Also has circuitry to prevent blue screen and you can usually get them here or eBay around $45-55. I have used this one for 9mos, probably 100hrs still going strong.
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:47 PM
Tri-City Airport Municipal, Tennesse, United States
Joined Oct 2003
427 Posts
Water bound, Do u have a link to one of those panasonics?

Thank you
bigjake is offline Find More Posts by bigjake
Old Dec 25, 2014, 05:23 PM
If it flies, I probably have 1
United Kingdom, Fauldhouse
Joined Mar 2014
1,728 Posts
Has anyone tried much larger screens, it seems to me 7" is just really small and would not be much better to look at than my current 4.5" hobbyking monitor
i have been looking for cheap tv / monitor with the correct inputs and that runs from 12v and i have came across some samsung TV's that seem to fit the bill, smallest one is 19"
i am thinking that mounted to a tripod, with a 12v pack running it?
or is there a reason i dont see anyone running larger screens than about 10"?
Scottish_steve75 is offline Find More Posts by Scottish_steve75