SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Jun 2013
155 Posts
Link
A "simplified" means of creating a foam plane?

A Korean scientist studied Flying Fish aerodynamics by "injecting the fish with urethane foam" then shaping the wings (before putrefaction began, I hope) so they could be tested in a wind tunnel.

Article here: Study of flying fish aerodynamics shows they can glide like birds
SSgt Baloo is offline Find More Posts by SSgt Baloo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:48 PM
United States, OH, London
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
Interesting! So they use ground affect just like an albatross, etc. As far as the foam goes you could use a plastic bag and shape the foam before it sets or put the bag inside a mold. A square fuse would be no problem but I think it would be heavy. It would be indestructable though!
poormansairforce is online now Find More Posts by poormansairforce
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Jun 2013
155 Posts
I don't know that it's particularly helpful unless you have easy access to fresh flying fish and liquid foam injection technology, but the science is interesting to me. Has anyone ever modeled a plane after a flying fish? I tried Googling it and only managed to discover that "Flying Fish" is the name of at least three distinctly non-piscine RC planes, but no fish-like aircraft. Pity.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:19 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,801 Posts
Here's a very good video of actual flying fish flying --

Life - Flying Fish (1 min 5 sec)
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:11 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,418 Posts
Excellent video! Those guys can really fly well when they put their little minds to it.
A while ago I was made to endure about 10 days on a cruise ship. The highlights for me were sightings of flying fish and seeing a Wandering Albatross soaring on the lee of the ship.
In the article above there's a typical bit of journalistic rubbish. "The fish stay aloft by periodically dipping their tail fins in the water and propelling themselves onward, rather like stones skipping across water."
In fact they do dip their tails in the water and wag them vigorously for propulsion, but it's nothing like the dynamics of a skipping stone.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Jun 2013
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Excellent video! Those guys can really fly well when they put their little minds to it.
A while ago I was made to endure about 10 days on a cruise ship. The highlights for me were sightings of flying fish and seeing a Wandering Albatross soaring on the lee of the ship.
In the article above there's a typical bit of journalistic rubbish. "The fish stay aloft by periodically dipping their tail fins in the water and propelling themselves onward, rather like stones skipping across water."
In fact they do dip their tails in the water and wag them vigorously for propulsion, but it's nothing like the dynamics of a skipping stone.
I don't think he was commenting on the dynamics, just making a scientifically inaccurate observation, as all of us are wont to when speaking about things others know better.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Jun 2013
155 Posts
Anybody else seen this one?

Flying Fish 45 Second World Record (1 min 0 sec)

ETA a slightly higher resolution version:

Flying Fish 45 Second World Record (1 min 0 sec)
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgt Baloo View Post
I don't think he was commenting on the dynamics, just making a scientifically inaccurate observation, as all of us are wont to when speaking about things others know better.
Hmmm.
I've never seen a skipping stone propelling itself forward. What I have seen is the stone trading velocity for a change of direction.
The FF gains velocity with its tail dip.
I don't like sloppy journalism, but then I am a Grumpy Old Man.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:52 PM
Joined Jun 2013
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Grumpy Old Man.
*Renders secret GOM salute*

Well, carry on, then!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:43 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,622 Posts
Back in my sailboarding days, flying fish slammed into my sail three or four times over a period of five years or so.

It didn't seem to faze them at all. They just bounced off and soared on.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Jul 14, 2013, 08:55 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
Back in my sailboarding days, flying fish slammed into my sail three or four times over a period of five years or so.

It didn't seem to faze them at all. They just bounced off and soared on.
I've read about them coming aboard ocean-going yachts during the night.
Puts another meaning on "dropping in for breakfast."