HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brianshell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
USA, IN, Kewanna
Joined Mar 2008
42 Posts

I learned the hard way "fly the plane and trim it out without the FTP gear". Then add the minimal amount, fly and trim again. Just one piece at a time from this point on, fly and retrim if needed. This is my 3rd year, and I've only been 2 miles out. I got lost in the air, because of no OSD. I got the plane back by climbing and circling until I saw a land mark I recognized. Adding the OSD is next :-}

see my stuff at

www.MATOonline.com/firstPersonViewVideos.htm

Also I've scheduled the ham technician test. This is a great hobby !!!!

radioCtlAddict is offline Find More Posts by radioCtlAddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:01 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
844 Posts
By far I wish I started with a UHF system instead of wasting time and money boosting a 2.4 radio or even trying an old 72 MHz radio that kept glitching at the 1.2 mile mark
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:31 PM
USA, IN, Kewanna
Joined Mar 2008
42 Posts
UHF system

My Scherrer UHF system has been rock solid. I should be able to go farther than the video system. I keeping my old 72mhz radios and adding UHF instead of upgrading. Very happy so far
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Jun 2003
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
By far I wish I started with a UHF system instead of wasting time and money boosting a 2.4 radio or even trying an old 72 MHz radio that kept glitching at the 1.2 mile mark
Actually I am happy I started with a regular setup and sorted that out before I spent big bucks on a long range setup. The guys I know who started with UHF have both lost planes.
asennad is offline Find More Posts by asennad
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
Our Work Is Never Over
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Lesson 1) Start simple. I initially did a ton of research and bought every component I thought I wanted. (OSD, Autopilot, TX, RX, goggles, diversity, antenna tracking, head-tracking, etc.). I spent countless hours trying to get it all working together before I even attempted my first flight. I figured my technical prowess made me somehow immune to the KISS rule and I'd be fine diving in head first. All I accomplished was making myself frustrated.
After 200+ FPV flights and about 90 recorded the simpler the setup the better that means less can fail. To this day I use a simple OSD with volts and timer anything else is fluff unless doing long range FPV

Quote:
Lesson 5) We all dream of flying 15+ miles and zooming around the countryside, but it's not realistic until you've got years of experience. I know, I thought I was immune to this rule too. I figured if I spent enough money and bought top of the line everything, and all the different gear I needed, I'd have my plane flying 10+ miles within a week or two. "Surely", I thought, "the only reason MOST people aren't flying those distances is because of budget, or lack of RF knowledge
Aye, Most kids get all the parts down but fail to realize the volumes of understanding to getting a setup perfect. you cant just slap it together without any knowledge or if you do expect to spend allot of time experimenting and crashing to find what works best placement of FPV systems is key on a vehicle.

Quote:
Lesson 9) To whatever extent possible, try to be alone. I'm not saying you should fly without a spotter (you should have a spotter, especially when you're new). But I learned quickly that if I was with a group, there was a lot of pressure to perform. I learned that my time in the field was best spent when I could spend as much time as I needed on a particular problem, without feeling the pressure of having other folks watching or waiting. Find a wide open space where you can tweak, fly, repeat as much as you need.

I find this more so for me to let go of my body and focus on what I am seeing and take it all in as if I was up there really flying. With people chatting around you or constantly asking questions I have hard time gaining the amount of focus needed to fly a quad FPV. disclaimer I don't use gps or auto level I do it all natural KK board with 3 gyros. which gives me 100% control and min dependence on systems that can fail.

Adding
Always consider safety first, know your limits and remember if you cause any injuries or damages you are solely responsible.
Blusky1 is offline Find More Posts by Blusky1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Blusky1; Oct 16, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
After losing two planes( and a fair amount of money) NOT using long range radio , I wish I had started with it (DL)
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:05 PM
USA, IN, Kewanna
Joined Mar 2008
42 Posts
I'm not worried about losing the radio, but the video bothers me! The return to home Eagle Tree feature with a stabilizer should return on lost video signal, right? The OSD won't be displaying either. The video receiver needs a switch for better reception, log enough to turn the plane around or climb.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:05 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioCtlAddict View Post
I'm not worried about losing the radio, but the video bothers me! The return to home Eagle Tree feature with a stabilizer should return on lost video signal, right? The OSD won't be displaying either. The video receiver needs a switch for better reception, log enough to turn the plane around or climb.
It won't automatically return to home during video loss. You can set it to return to home when radio signal is lost when i'm not mistaken.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
IF/WHEN you loose video YOU tell it to return to home. It doesn't do it on it's own. IF you loose the RC signal it will return to home on it's own, but you need the signal to get it on the ground. My quad will land on it's own , but a plane won't unless you have a riley system on it. Then hope there is not a tree in the way.
Jerry.k is offline Find More Posts by Jerry.k
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:57 AM
USA, IN, Kewanna
Joined Mar 2008
42 Posts
return to home

How do you tell it to return to home?

A switch some how? I haven't set mine up as yet.

The Eagle Tree return to home will circle at 300 fee where you can see the plane and land it. If all goes well, and it isn't at the point :-}
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:20 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioCtlAddict View Post
How do you tell it to return to home?

A switch some how? I haven't set mine up as yet.

The Eagle Tree return to home will circle at 300 fee where you can see the plane and land it. If all goes well, and it isn't at the point :-}
should review the instruction manual and the Eagle Tree threads on here

ET RTH is often not a plug and play function!! It can be a real pita to set up. Must do a fair amount of testing and refining before you can actually use it as a backup.

Yes, you can program your radio to turn on ET RTH with a switch, or with throttle trim depending on your radio. But the setting up to do that is not a simple process. Check the threads.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:03 AM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me determine what model of fatshark a I have? I recently purchased these in the classified section here and Im confused whether my goggles have a built in vrx? I purchased and were told there the base model but Im wondering what the antenna is for? 2.4 or 5.8?

Also I was sent a head tracker unit that I can't find any info on?

I would really appreciate you guys help!

Thank You
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
USA, IN, Kewanna
Joined Mar 2008
42 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'm going to get the stabilizer working first, then RTH. I'll check the threads when I get ready to activate it. I've been through the settings before, but it's been a while since I've looked at it.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me determine what model of fatshark a I have? I recently purchased these in the classified section here and Im confused whether my goggles have a built in vrx? I purchased and were told there the base model but Im wondering what the antenna is for? 2.4 or 5.8?
Thank You
Those are Fatshark RCV922 Aviator Ed, but can't tell from the photo which one.
2.4Ghz Edition (at least the one I have) has a 4 way slider switch to change channels.
5.8Ghz Edition has a push button to switch channels.
Even if you don't plan to use 5.8Ghz video to fly, a lot of people add a 100mW 5.8Ghz video
Tx to their ground station, to relay the video to their goggles, giving you true wireless operation.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Those are Fatshark RCV922 Aviator Ed, but can't tell from the photo which one.
2.4Ghz Edition (at least the one I have) has a 4 way slider switch to change channels.
5.8Ghz Edition has a push button to switch channels.
Even if you don't plan to use 5.8Ghz video to fly, a lot of people add a 100mW 5.8Ghz video
Tx to their ground station, to relay the video to their goggles, giving you true wireless operation.

ian
Thank you very much! I appreciate it! I must have the 2.4 then.
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing