SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2014, 10:27 AM
United States, VA, Greenville
Joined Jan 2014
62 Posts
Build Log
Retro Racer EPP/Depron scratch build

Hello all,
I am on the final stages of my scratch build and thought I would post for opinions and thoughts.
I used a combination of EPP and depron. This is the first time I have ever messed around with either, so it can be considered an experimental deal through and through.

The design is just one that I just thought up and drew out into a vector file with corel draw. I was after a retro 30's racer look.

The wing and fuselage are entirely EPP for durability reasons.
I embedded a thin carbon rod to reinforce the wing chord as you can see in the bottom of the wing. The remaining control surfaces, horizontal/vertical stab and wheel pants are depron.
The empty chassis weighs in at roughly 130 grams, and I am leaning toward 300 size 1380KV outrunner. Not completely sure on that yet however, because the electrics are new to me as well, so I am still weighing my options.
I am shooting for not much more than 230 grams complete, but we shall see.

Anyhow thanks for looking and feel free to give your input

WarCowboy is offline Find More Posts by WarCowboy
Last edited by WarCowboy; Aug 08, 2014 at 01:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2014, 11:22 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,044 Posts
Cute! She looks great, especially the spats! Also, an open plane has to have a pilot, and you got a good one!

A 24 gram 1700KV Blue Wonder motor with 7x6 prop will fly that one a treat! The higher KV will give you a larger speed envelope, and for a racer that's important! The BW motors are really smooth so handle low as well as high speeds. You could go as low as a 20 gram motor, but it will depend on how much nose weight will get it to the right CG.

Pro horse trainer and bull rider? are you one of those wild and crazy guys that went up to the Calgary Stampede?
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2014, 12:33 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
614 Posts
Beautiful plane design! I agree with springer's power assessment. Looking forward to your color scheme and the flights.

You mention this is your first effort with EPP and Depron. As you may already know EPP soaks up liquids; water, oil, paint. Depon melts from most solvents; even "foam safe" paint in spray cans IF you get the can too close. I am very bad a getting packing tape color schemes to look, so, too keep weight down I settle for flat, pastel-looking thin coats of sprayed on water-based paints. Others can probably advise and/or point you to threads about colors on EPP & Depron.

TonyS
tonystro is online now Find More Posts by tonystro
Old Aug 06, 2014, 07:52 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,044 Posts
Sharpie markers are a great low weight way to add color and aid orientation. Some guys color the whole plane, but i tend to do a white and color scheme to minimize the sharpie use.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:17 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,293 Posts
You have plan? Thanks
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Pro horse trainer and bull rider? are you one of those wild and crazy guys that went up to the Calgary Stampede?
I appreciate the input and will consider the suggestion for sure.
I really liked the 9" prop I had for it, but it may in fact prove to much. Unfortunately I was impatient and designed the ride height based on that clearance. May have dropped the gear lower for a smaller prop.
And inform my ignorance, what are "spats?" New term for me!

And yes I have rode bulls for roughly 13 years and my stability could fall into question no doubt. haha You can see some it at the bottom

tonystro - Appreciate the compliment. And yes I have been playing with the foam and paint options. I found out real quick the depron doesn't like aerosol. I intend to airbrush it with water based paints. I just need to photoshop the plane to experiment with schemes. I will post videos soon as it is ready for testing. I can't wait myself.

springer - I think I will leave some white in the scheme for simplicity purposed. Maybe even the most of it. But I would like to at least offset the white differences between the foams.

Rodeo Road Come Back (6 min 51 sec)

Last edited by WarCowboy; Aug 06, 2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined Jan 2014
62 Posts
Edit out
Last edited by WarCowboy; Aug 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 05:59 AM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
614 Posts
"spats" is another word for wheel pant. However, too many variations to 'splain here of use of "spats" for aircraft and car wheels, landing gear legs and shoes. Google could keep you busy for awhile checking them all.

TonyS
tonystro is online now Find More Posts by tonystro
Old Aug 07, 2014, 06:21 AM
Joined Jan 2014
62 Posts
Ah, I thought that is what you meant, just never heard the term used before.
Last edited by WarCowboy; Aug 07, 2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 07:20 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,044 Posts
Wild! (And crazy; but then aren't we all??) I was just going by your proposed weight for the prop size. If the nine inch prop "fits" the design, then with the 1700kv motor, maybe try a low pitch prop like a GWS 9050 or 9x4 if you can find one. Also using a 1300kv 24 gram motor will allow a larger diameter lower pitch prop without increasing amps into the danger zone. But your top speed will drop. Several options!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2014, 07:56 AM
Joined Jan 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Wild! (And crazy; but then aren't we all??)
Truth be spoken!

Well I will have to think about it then. I may very well take a run at the 1700 motor recommendation. HK site says it accepts an 8.3 prop.
However I already have an APC 9 x 4.5 Im setting here looking at.
Even though I built it inspired from an old school Reno racer, I wasn't necessarily looking for a speed demon.
I based my 1380kv thoughts off of number from here>
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1150
Last edited by WarCowboy; Aug 08, 2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2014, 01:30 AM
Joined Jan 2014
62 Posts
I have now weighed it in with everything I plan to put in it and estimated the rest of what I don't have yet for roughly 235 grams/8.2 oz. finished.

So far this is what I have in hand for components
Using the Futaba 10J for the transmitter

eagle tree guardian gyro
Futaba FHSS micro Rx
Electrifly 7.4 - 600 mAh battery
9x4.5 APC SF prop

I still need 4 servos, the extra one for flaperon mixing. Preferably digitals
A motor, ESC combo and that should cover it.

I was looking around on here and found that foam-tac is making a product called "foam finish". I am considering using it for filler on the EPP and a safety coat before painting on both foams. Anyone tried it or have experience with painting over it?
Foam Tac & Foam Fill Product Review | RC Hobby Network (5 min 46 sec)
Last edited by WarCowboy; Aug 08, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2014, 12:21 PM
Build it and it will fly!
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Feb 2003
128 Posts
Great looking plane! I'm looking forward to plans and the maiden report!
Ken Wright is offline Find More Posts by Ken Wright
Old Aug 08, 2014, 12:45 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,555 Posts
No experience with it, but I just learned about something similar last week from a post here:

"Deluxe Materials product, Foam Armour, to seal and surface those newly cut, raw foam surfaces. This is good stuff. On a smaller plane it would do a fine job of surfacing and reinforcing the entire model without the weight and fuss of fiberglassÖ thatís what itís designed to do. Since this big (61Ē span) model will carry that small extra weight easily, Iím reserving Foam Armour for little detail applications like this one."
After doing some reading, I came to the conclusion that this may be ok, but water-based poly-urethane and perhaps tissue may do the same thing, and I have those on hand.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Aug 08, 2014, 05:34 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,466 Posts
Cowboy, I would not be thinking flaperons for this plane (or any plane) because:
a. It will not need them, and simpler and lighter is better.
b. When deployed flaperons tend to produce reversed aileron differential. The evil handling adverse yaw gives is the last thing you want during the landing phase.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers