Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
651 Posts
Discussion
Drag of having a motor vs walk of shame

Hi,
I was wondering why people don't like having motors on their slope soaring setups. I personally live in an area where if I crash below the launch point it's a climbing gear type of recovery situation so I'm a motor guy.

How badly does a folding prop out there flapping in the breeze and the extra weight of a motor effect things, or is it just a pride thing?
parajared is online now Find More Posts by parajared
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2015, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by cityevader
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
3,684 Posts
Those blades peirce right through heart of some people. Oh, the humanity!
I'll never understand why folks from either side of the fence try to "enforce" their ideology.
Every alternative to anything else has pros and cons, to be decided by each individual as to what is"right".
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Jul 18, 2015, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by MATIN
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared View Post
......... so I'm a motor guy.
Good for you.....Thanks for sharing.
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:43 PM
PGR
Find More Posts by PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
8,528 Posts
Here's a question I'd like some of you pro-motor people to answer:

If a powered glider with a folding prop is deemed appropriate at a slope soaring site, how is it possible to argue that an EDF jet, foam warbird, or 3D aerobatic plane isn't?

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jul 19, 2015, 09:57 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,684 Posts
Now...why in the world aren't large scale gas pilots flying on slopes again?
Well, besides the obvious, in many places...the sign says you can't.

Lets see, a screaming banshee of an EDF on the slopes just seems, immoral.
Otherwise, flying a warbird or a 3d plane won't matter at all, since they can even do it with the prop off, because it's in slope lift, after all. "Motorgliders" on the slopes don't fly like power planes, either... they fly like gliders. I keep a band just barely on the prop to keep it snug against the fuse, but should the unthinkable happen and i NEED to power up, then 7 seconds of absolutely silent power will get it back up. Not quite the same as flying a power plane under powered flight the entire time while on the slope, now, is it?
I also wouldn't DREAM of joining a power plane club and stand on the pilot line to toss my DLG around, either, because that would just be immoral too.

I apologize for answering a rhetorical question with logic.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:15 PM
PGR
Find More Posts by PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
8,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
I apologize for answering a rhetorical question with logic.
Is that what that was?

Whatever it was it doesn't answer my question: If a powered glider with a folding prop is deemed appropriate at a slope soaring site, how would you argue that an EDF jet, foam warbird, or 3D aerobatic plane isn't if someone showed up with one and wanted to fly it too?

And if they were required to take off the prop, then why wouldn't the same rule apply to a motorized glider?

Rhetorically speaking, of course.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:31 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
3,684 Posts
My rhetorical response, is that at a "slope soaring" site, the emphasis is on slope soaring, no?

I also(still) retorted that the same "style" of flight as powered-flight CAN and IS being flown by gliders already...without the powertrain. Irrespective...if an onboard power device is needed for launching YOUR plane onto MY "slope soaring site", then you can have the first swig of me freshly opened beer. Cheers!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by hallo
incorrigible model maker
Joined Feb 2014
684 Posts
Why no motor

If I'm at the hill/mountain and there is very light conditions perhaps with thermal lift and little wind, I find it challenging to be able to stay up with the glider. Almost losing the plane to low height and then manage to catch a thermal and get it back up again is a thrilling and satisfying experience, it really makes me focus at what I'm doing. If I had a motor I could just turn it on and then where would the challenge be?

If I'm at the hill/mountain and there is good conditions with plenty of wind, I would have about 1,5kg lead in my glider and it's like having unlimited horse power already -it would be like turning on a brake..

And then there is the lovely simplicity of a glider; you actually don't have to mount a motor and a big battery or a fire friendly Lipo in it, I think thats just amazing.
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by MATIN
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,473 Posts
Quote:
How badly does a folding prop out there flapping in the breeze and the extra weight of a motor effect things, or is it just a pride thing?
Golfers can walk up to the hole and drop the ball in, ....... Instead they use a narrow, crooked stick to drive the ball hundreds of yards before they sink the putt......Is THAT a "pride thing"?
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN View Post
Golfers can walk up to the hole and drop the ball in, ....... Instead they use a narrow, crooked stick to drive the ball hundreds of yards before they sink the putt......Is THAT a "pride thing"?
LOL
best post I've seen on the slope forum for a long time

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Jul 20, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Life is Short, Fly Hard
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo View Post
If I'm at the hill/mountain and there is very light conditions perhaps with thermal lift and little wind, I find it challenging to be able to stay up with the glider. Almost losing the plane to low height and then manage to catch a thermal and get it back up again is a thrilling and satisfying experience, it really makes me focus at what I'm doing. If I had a motor I could just turn it on and then where would the challenge be?
^^Well said. Light air sloping is not just about manipulating the controls, but also a decision making process, that's where the term Airmanship comes to play.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Jul 20, 2015, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by dayhead
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,918 Posts
When I was young I had the luxury of being purist. Now that I'm older and less athletic and more fragile, the Walk of Shame is more than I can handle, at some sites.

I've noticed that I tend to forget I have a motor, and I'll have some high pulse rate moments struggling to get back up before I remember it!

The motor with folding prop is something I would not have approved of 10 or more years ago. But at 63 I find that I've mellowed out and don't get excited about some things anymore.

When I'm at a site where retrieval isn't real difficult or dangerous, I prefer the pure glider.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Jul 20, 2015, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by dawsonh
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,979 Posts
Hi Jared:

I totally understand why you fly motorized gliders. Many of your home slopes are low angle and very rugged in topography, often producing only marginal and variable slope lift. A motorized glider is totally appropriate in those places because it lets you fly when you would otherwise be walking.

Up here in Flagstaff we are blessed with a variety of nice slopes and abundant wind. Motors are not needed to enjoy soaring. The added weight and drag (let alone cost) of a prop/drive/battery system have few advantages for normal slope flying, can be a detriment in lighht lift conditions and certainly makes crashing all the more costly.

That said, I love trying to slope/slermal my Radian In marginal conditions. You can take all sorts of chances and if you get caught out burn a few electrons to avoid the WOS.

My bottom line is to use common sense. If a motor makes is posible for you to enjoy your slopes AND is not in conflict with other slopers then by all means ENJOY YOURSELF. We have lots of space up here and few pilots to take advantage of the resource. You'll are welcome to fly your motor gliders (or anything else you have)… just be warned; I will expect a turn at the sticks.

I will let you fly my Libelle. She is ideal our light slermal days… able to stay up in the lightest of slope life and have enough speed to penetrate gusts and range out to catch thermals.

See you on the slope,

Dawson

Quote:
Hi,
I was wondering why people don't like having motors on their slope soaring setups. I personally live in an area where if I crash below the launch point it's a climbing gear type of recovery situation so I'm a motor guy.

dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Jul 20, 2015, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Wood
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
27,192 Posts
If the wind is too light to slope, go fishing or play with a DLG or aerotow or...or...

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
651 Posts
Thanks fellas, I'm still getting a feel for what steamlining, laminate and weight reduction does to a slope plane. Maybe I will buy two of a cheap model and build one with a motor and one without and see which one is better.

Ps... thanks for letting me fly the Libelle Dawson. It's quite a great slope machine.
parajared is online now Find More Posts by parajared