SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:36 AM
Joined Dec 2006
35 Posts
Discussion
DX7, AR6100, & Typhoon 3D -- CRASH

I recently purchased a DX7. I'm running the AR7000 receiver in my Stryker 27C with no problems. (I actually tried the AR6100 in it first, and crashed due to a range issue. Lost TX/RX connection at about 700 feet away. Fortunately it was a very soft crash, very little damage. Figured the park flyer RX is not right for this bird, and put the AR7000 in it.)

I just bought the Typhoon 3D PNP and an AR6100 receiver. I'm running it with the 2200mah Lipo from the Stryker.

Yesterday I experienced a crash, here's what happened:

-flying normally, about 100 feet away, 50 feet high, 12 mins into flight (battery lasts 15+), this was probably it's 8th flight
-motor shut off, unable to bring back up by jogging throttle stick down and back up
-airplane in a dive, unable to pull up, still have aileron control
-crash
-damage report: broken cowl, possible bent gear box shaft, lost cotter pin (not bad)

I inspected the plane on the ground before removing the battery. I found that I still have all control except elevator, even throttle was responding now. The elevator control surface was stuck at a 10 degree downward angle. This is obviously what caused the dive. The servo appeared jammed at it's own natural neutral position.

I turned the airplane off and back on, and all control surfaces returned to their programmed (trimmed) neutral positions, including elevator, all controls working properly. I inspected the elevator servo further, it seemed perfectly normal and not stripped.

Any ideas as to what could have caused this crash? AR6100 malfunction? Bad servo? Something else?

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffsw is offline Find More Posts by jeffsw
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:50 AM
Currently between sponsors...
Menasha, WI USA
Joined Jun 2003
771 Posts
Well, I'll guess...

How about crash damage? If you crashed it once, and it caused an issue later, I'd box it up, and have Spektrum look at it, before I strapped any more money to it.

If it was a different 6100, then I'm lost. Maybe a defect, also corrected by a trip back to Spektrum.

Either way, be cautious about how much money you bet on it being OK.

Just my $0.02 Bro...
TailTwister is offline Find More Posts by TailTwister
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:07 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsw
I recently purchased a DX7. I'm running the AR7000 receiver in my Stryker 27C with no problems. (I actually tried the AR6100 in it first, and crashed due to a range issue. Lost TX/RX connection at about 700 feet away. Fortunately it was a very soft crash, very little damage. Figured the park flyer RX is not right for this bird, and put the AR7000 in it.)

I just bought the Typhoon 3D PNP and an AR6100 receiver. I'm running it with the 2200mah Lipo from the Stryker.

Yesterday I experienced a crash, here's what happened:

-flying normally, about 100 feet away, 50 feet high, 12 mins into flight (battery lasts 15+), this was probably it's 8th flight
-motor shut off, unable to bring back up by jogging throttle stick down and back up
-airplane in a dive, unable to pull up, still have aileron control
-crash
-damage report: broken cowl, possible bent gear box shaft, lost cotter pin (not bad)

I inspected the plane on the ground before removing the battery. I found that I still have all control except elevator, even throttle was responding now. The elevator control surface was stuck at a 10 degree downward angle. This is obviously what caused the dive. The servo appeared jammed at it's own natural neutral position.

I turned the airplane off and back on, and all control surfaces returned to their programmed (trimmed) neutral positions, including elevator, all controls working properly. I inspected the elevator servo further, it seemed perfectly normal and not stripped.

Any ideas as to what could have caused this crash? AR6100 malfunction? Bad servo? Something else?

Thanks,
Jeff
Very common on the Ty----- read all the threads---parkzones servos are found less than wanting in way of the elvator and rudder---especially the elevator---replace the servo with a HS-81mg and be done with it.

Some people had the elevator servos strip before ever getting the plane off the ground.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:23 PM
Joined Dec 2006
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
Very common on the Ty----- read all the threads---parkzones servos are found less than wanting in way of the elvator and rudder---especially the elevator---replace the servo with a HS-81mg and be done with it.

Some people had the elevator servos strip before ever getting the plane off the ground.
The thing is, the servo is not stripped... Could it be an electrical issue with the servo, locking it out?
jeffsw is offline Find More Posts by jeffsw
Old Mar 05, 2007, 01:01 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
It sounds like an electrical problem with one of the servos, it might not be the elevator servo it could be an aileron servo. I've had a similar problem in the past and it took a couple of crashes and the purchase of a new receiver before I traced it down to the servo. I eventually unplugged one servo at a time until I found the problem child. The bad servo was affecting to good ones. I don't know if it was sending back some sort of feedback signal or what, but all of the servos were acting weird because of one bad one.

Are any of your servos twitching, even a little, while on the ground or during a range test? Or are any of them having centering problems? Either of those problems may be the sign of a bad servo, or like TailTwister said, be cautious about the cause. If it happened once, it'll happen again, and maybe the result won't be as minor as your 1st crash.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Mar 05, 2007, 01:11 PM
dx4life
Wichita KS
Joined Nov 2004
409 Posts
I read about 2 other crashes with ar6100's. both of them were caused by... you guessed it, loss of elevator control. I think we have a problem here!
BrainDrain_dx is offline Find More Posts by BrainDrain_dx
Old Mar 05, 2007, 01:46 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,930 Posts
Considering the large number of DX7 radios and 6100 receivers those reports if true represent a very small failure rate. I ran an RC Service facility for many years and know that any radio can have problems. I witnessed a Futaba 14Z crash a very expensive Heli when it stopped working in flight. No one likes to crash but unfortunately that is also a part of this hobby.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 05, 2007, 09:43 PM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
OK lets examine what you have said so far first off you put a reciever in plane that you yourself called a parkflyer rx and decided that was a mistake ,which you should have known better to start off with cause anything that flys at 80 mph isn't or should'nt really be thought of as a parkflyer( I myself having done something very similar).Second is any time I have had a servo issue I never used that servo again and third is people in general always want to blame the new stuff when its usually not the problem at all. As a observation of this I now have 7 planes in my flying hanger and 5 of them that fly at more than 20 mph or 200 feet or more away from me have Electron 6 rx.s and one has a Berg 7 and the other a pico Tiger Moth has a GWS single conversion as it only flies at 10mph and 50ft away. My point is I would rather be overkill than crash.
zaksdad is offline Find More Posts by zaksdad
Old Mar 05, 2007, 10:21 PM
Bartlett, TN.
Joined Feb 2005
119 Posts

Like the manual says "rebind or rekit!!"
bob w is offline Find More Posts by bob w