HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:41 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,930 Posts
Discussion
Chrome aluminum gloss paint

I have to share this just recent discovery on a high gloss aluminum enamel spray paint I picked up at Ace Hardware here in the US.

For anyone looking for a polished aluminum finish try ACE PREMIUM ENAMEL - CHROME ALUMINUM - GLOSS.

I fly electric so can't atest to it's fuel proof ability but man it sure puts out a smooth polished finish....

Best,

ce
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Dec 2009
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I have to share this just recent discovery on a high gloss aluminum enamel spray paint I picked up at Ace Hardware here in the US.

For anyone looking for a polished aluminum finish try ACE PREMIUM ENAMEL - CHROME ALUMINUM - GLOSS.

I fly electric so can't atest to it's fuel proof ability but man it sure puts out a smooth polished finish....

Best,

ce
I have access to that ACE chrome aluminum paint, and its like any other chrome like paint, its very reflective at first and if you dont touch it it will remain reflective for a long time, but thats the problem, you cant touch it alot, if you do it will dull the finish, and if you clear coat it, the nice polished alluminum look will be wrecked...

at this time Im doing a research and some test on how to make normal aluminum paint to be as glossy as possible and to look as natural as possible(clear coat it silver pait does not look natural). Ill post pics of my work as soon as the forum lets me...
nicamarvin is offline Find More Posts by nicamarvin
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:29 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicamarvin View Post
I have access to that ACE chrome aluminum paint, and its like any other chrome like paint, its very reflective at first and if you dont touch it it will remain reflective for a long time, but thats the problem, you cant touch it alot, if you do it will dull the finish, and if you clear coat it, the nice polished alluminum look will be wrecked...

at this time Im doing a research and some test on how to make normal aluminum paint to be as glossy as possible and to look as natural as possible(clear coat it silver pait does not look natural). Ill post pics of my work as soon as the forum lets me...
Thanks for sharing that info....
I've used silver and "aluminum" pint before but never had such a brilliant finsh as this stuff gives. I'm curiouls why it would dull the finish by touching it unless it causes it to tarnish. Maybe lightly polishing would bring it back...?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Dec 2009
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I'm curiouls why it would dull the finish by touching it unless it causes it to tarnish. Maybe lightly polishing would bring it back...?
its the nature of chrome paint, even more so on enamel chrome paint, its too weak

let me see if I can post some pics of my work...
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Dec 2009
54 Posts
ok seems like Im able to post some pics, Ill be posting some videos...

this is a chrome painted spoon I did using a anamel chrome like paint

now keep in mind that for a very realistic chrome look one must have the perfect glossy black coat before spraying the chrome paint..

a chrome painted spoon(on the left) and a spray on chrome spoon on the right(will talk about spray on chrome later)
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Dec 2009
54 Posts
innate chrome paint(which is one of the best chrome paint on the market) against a very well preped rattle can spray paint(enamel) on looks they look very similar but on durability the enamel is very weak(rubbs off to easily)

Innate Chrome Paint vs Rattle Can Chrome Paint2 (0 min 6 sec)

Innate Chrome Paint vs Rattle Can Chrome Paint (0 min 18 sec)

how to prep a piece(in this case plastic spoons) this is the order: black base coat, then glossy clear coat(I use 2k urethane) after cured then the chorme paint

Chorme Paint How T4 (0 min 7 sec)

Innate chrome paint
Chorme Paint How To 1 (0 min 15 sec)

this pic is of a cured(for 2 days) chrome painted spoon against the rattle can cap
Last edited by nicamarvin; Sep 01, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
54 Posts
ok now on how to make normal aluminum paint loos more realistic(close to real chrome, but not quite)

ok first you need to prep the piece just like the chrome paint(super glossy black as base) in this case I used single stage enamel and cure it for 1 day, then grab your normal metallic paint(medium grain size, the smaller the grain size the better it will look, I just dont have access to very small sized grain).. a little will go along way, what I do is dilute the metallic paint about 300%(can be 350 but no less than 300) that meas for 1/32th of a gallon(I can get very small quantities of car paint) I dilute it with lacquer thiner to 1/4 of a gallon(pour the 1/32 on a 1 quart bottle and fill it up with thiner) in my case I wanted a black chrome or smoked metallic look, so I put a little black on there too...

ok here are a few pics and videos, sprayed the diluted metallic on graphics and letters so you can see how thin and transparent the metallic coats are, they are this transparent because we need the shine and the mirror look of the black base and thats why its very important for the black to be as glossy as possible...

Metallic (0 min 10 sec)

black chrome helmet(at least trying to look like one) the helmet is a worn and used one..

Black Chrome just Painted helmet (0 min 7 sec)

Black Chrome painted helmet 2 (0 min 14 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Nicamarvin, I like what you did but the Inate stuff is too expensive for my budget.

I tried several brands of paint on a quest for a realistic aluminum finish that does not look polished. I discovered the ACE product product prior to discovering this thread and like it better than any other I have tried but it has been a nightmare. It is too polished-looking and remains soft long (days) after application and as noted in preceding posts is easily marred. I have tried various clear top coats including enamel, shellac and water-based Polycrylic but none have worked. All of them turn the finish into something that looks like lead or pewter. If anyone has a suggestion for a suitable clear coat please post.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Nov 25, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
ward cleaver's boy...
waco,texas
Joined May 2008
665 Posts
I was thinking of trying some kind of a spray wax. I haven't actually tried it yet, but it might work. Thinking if it's sprayed on and allowed to dry it should add to the shine once you buff it out. Or..... i could be living in a fantasy. Either way thought it would be worth a try.
the beave is offline Find More Posts by the beave
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
I have come to the tentative conclusion that the key is drying time. The ACE aluminum paint needs an extraordinarily long time to set up. After five to seven days it seems to be hard enough to withstand at least a moderate amount of handling.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Here is a Slow Stick that I just completed using the ACE aluminum paint. After drying for about a week it seems fairly hard, although still not as good as most enamels.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:57 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,930 Posts
That looks pretty good. I've had it applied to a Herr Ryan ST for several weeks and I'm very pleased although minimun handling as of yet due to lack of cover to finish it yet.
ce
RCG Plus Member