SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
Hants UK
Joined Oct 2008
250 Posts
Discussion
Scorpio Java 1500mm glider

I recently started with a Scorpio 'Java X-ite' 1500mm electric artf glider. I chose it because it's predecessor, Java E, had favourable reports a couple of years back but it has a white fibreglass streamlined fuselage instead of balsa box-type. There seemed to be only one available (with opaque red and black polka dot wings) in October 2008 and I think it was reduced price old stock but I recently saw it advertised for a bit more at around 100, so maybe they are being made again. Anyway it has been a great model to get me into electrics once more and thought it deserved a write-up.

Everything is provided except electrics and r/c and the four pre-built and covered panels of the balsa/spruce polyhedral wing just need to be joined, tail surfaces to be attached to the fus, and the hardware and three formers to be installed. The wings are banded on which is just as well, and have been proved to be quite tough. I can't see the structure through the covering but I guess its mostly balsa - except that the leading edge and top and bottom sheeting is very hard and true, so this is probably some sort of synthetic compound Dbox which extends to about 1/5th of the chord.

There is limited space in the front of the slim fuselage and the motor is a bit tricky to poke into the nose but the control runs were easy to do. The battery is supposed to be installed on top of a platform which extends from the canopy opening back under the wing. I could see no way of getting even a 1000mah in there past the servos and then the front wing dowel, so originally positioned it behind them and cut a hole under the wing to be able to get it in. I also wanted to use a 1800ma lipo which would not fit in the nose. As it turned out 800mah size, or less, would have been ok.

First flights were carried out with 1800mah battery, on my own and things seemed ok but I also used the 1000ma battery and thought the radio was glitching because of rather strange and frightening antics from time to time. When later an experienced club member heard me complaining about the glitches he suggested putting some lead in the nose which mysteriously cured the radio! I reckon the designed c. of g. is possibly a bit extreme and getting it about an inch or so further forward by putting the battery into the nose has been a great improvement, and I don't bother at all about the 1800 battery.

Now that is sorted the elevator trim is neutral instead of down a bit. It is quite sensitive in pitch but this enables transmitter trim to cope with a marked tendency to climb under power, so would recommend a few more degrees of downthrust. On the other hand I think the rudder could probably be enlarged by say 50% to give a bit more vigour to the occasional roll and to match the power of the standard elevator.

It weighs only 590g, compared to the specified 650g so there is not much momentum; although it will cope with a stiff breeze it needs to be kept into wind most of the time. I suppose it could be ballasted but for this little glider speed is not the point. It is very enjoyable in lighter conditions and thermals well, seeming to be able to keep up with bigger models even in my hands. It is a truism that anything can stay up for hours in strong lift but at our flying site it can use the lift on more days than not and on two outings in five recently I only brought it down because my neck was so stiff after 45 mins.

I was advised to use a 120watt 930kv outrunner, on 3 cells and 1000mah lipo, and 18/22 amp ESC and 10 x 8 folding prop. I am still having a lot of fun with this and reckon it would be fine with less. Altogether a very nice model and definitely recommended

Anyone else got one?

crossgrain is offline Find More Posts by crossgrain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2009, 04:50 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined May 2005
235 Posts
I have a java 150 old version (dbox in balsa).
I fly with speed 400 with gear reduction 1:3,5 and 9x5 folding prop
3s1p 900 mAh - ripmax xtra22 with lipo saver.

This configuration is the last that I have with brushed motor.
The thrust is not exceptional but enough to go hunting for thermal.

Bye
Startrek66 is offline Find More Posts by Startrek66
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:57 PM
Hants UK
Joined Oct 2008
250 Posts
The X-ite is still in two peices and has been even more enjoyable with Mutiplex Cockpit MM Tx (the same small size and light weight as the Mpx Pico, but computerized).

Even for these basic controls the throttle/elevator mix, adjustable centres, exponential, and rates have been handy.

I have rolled it and flown inverted and tried things which could have snapped the wings like diving out of thermals, and flown it into a tree which jumped out when it was landing but it is a tough model.

Shalbe, a friend let me try his balsa version and thought it flies much the same, although the wing may just be a little thicker.

Regards
Chris
crossgrain is offline Find More Posts by crossgrain
Last edited by crossgrain; Oct 30, 2009 at 07:14 PM.