HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Malc C, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:02 AM
Registered User
freedom2000's Avatar
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefool View Post
Freedom,
which OS are you using ? Does your program work at Vista or Win7 as well?

Thanks.
Hi

As it's a "real" joystick device, no program is needed on the PC side
It works on any windows OS --> tested XP and Seven

JP
freedom2000 is offline Find More Posts by freedom2000
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:08 AM
Registered User
lovefool's Avatar
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
Freedom,
thanks for your quick reply.

I gonna try to make one with a DIP 18F4550 on my breadboard.

Do you have any idea to use 18F2550 instead of 18F4550?

Jay.
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:06 AM
Registered User
freedom2000's Avatar
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefool View Post
Freedom,
thanks for your quick reply.

I gonna try to make one with a DIP 18F4550 on my breadboard.

Do you have any idea to use 18F2550 instead of 18F4550?

Jay.
Hi,

18F4550 and 18F2550 are basically the same devices. It's just a matter of parametrization under MPLAB and a few defines to change to address the right params for memory organization.

I have updated my site with the latest release. Same link as before.

JP
freedom2000 is offline Find More Posts by freedom2000
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:15 AM
Registered User
freedom2000's Avatar
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
Another possibility of the same hardware is to use it to generate a PPM signal.



So that with a genuine PC Joystick connected to your PC and a small exe running on it, you can output the PPM signal to any RC radio (student plug) and fly your favorite plane with a joystick. (I had been asked to do it by a -real-copter pilot).

The GUI is quite simple :



1) any PC joystick works (tested with Microsoft force feedback joystick and logitech gamepad
2) 8 axes joysticks are recognized
3) the "rotating button" are also recognized
4) 8 buttons as well
5) the PIC board is plug and play (no driver needed as it is a HID device)
6) all inputs are remapable to any PP output channel
7) you can apply trim and reverse the output channels

Finally here is a test with my Hobbyking TH9x radio flashed with ER9x firmware
For the purpose of this demo I have only setup the radio to decommutate 4 PPM channels (but trust me it works with 8 !)
And I have connected 2 servos to see the result "lively"

The sound is in french --> free french training session

Joystck PC to PPM (2 min 17 sec)


JP
freedom2000 is offline Find More Posts by freedom2000
Last edited by freedom2000; Nov 20, 2011 at 03:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:24 AM
Registered User
lovefool's Avatar
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom2000 View Post
Hi,

18F4550 and 18F2550 are basically the same devices. It's just a matter of parametrization under MPLAB and a few defines to change to address the right params for memory organization.

I have updated my site with the latest release. Same link as before.

JP
Freedom,
thanks for your update. Now I need to study French, huh?
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:54 AM
Registered User
freedom2000's Avatar
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefool View Post
Freedom,
thanks for your update. Now I need to study French, huh?
No I am pretty sure that my code is commented in english

JP
freedom2000 is offline Find More Posts by freedom2000
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:57 AM
Registered User
lovefool's Avatar
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom2000 View Post
No I am pretty sure that my code is commented in english

JP

Freedom, haha, I know your comment is written in English.

I have been studying your code ( good_main.c is the latest, right?) and I understood most of structure. I would like to connect the futaba 7cap Tx trainer signal, so I will add a NPN transistor for input. This will cause the PPM signal will beinverted. However your code checks falling edge, so I think this part of your code will stay same.

Recently I replaced my PC, so I needed to install MP-LAB, C18 and Application framework. I downloaded all latest version and installed them.
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
Registered User
freedom2000's Avatar
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefool View Post
Freedom, haha, I know your comment is written in English.

I have been studying your code ( good_main.c is the latest, right?) and I understood most of structure. I would like to connect the futaba 7cap Tx trainer signal, so I will add a NPN transistor for input. This will cause the PPM signal will beinverted. However your code checks falling edge, so I think this part of your code will stay same.

Recently I replaced my PC, so I needed to install MP-LAB, C18 and Application framework. I downloaded all latest version and installed them.
Please use "main.c" ... good_main.c was an old version...

The code shouldn't be sensitive to inverted or regular PPM signal. I have already tested it with futaba radio and TH9x radio and it works although they don't have the same PPM polarization
Try to understand why with a simple drawing, it's just a matter of logic (no need to look at the code) ! (but difficult to explain with words ...)

JP
freedom2000 is offline Find More Posts by freedom2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:33 AM
Registered User
tarts's Avatar
Estland
Joined Nov 2006
302 Posts
Would it be possible to convert the code for 18f24J50 or similar new USB PIC? That would be more than two times cheaper.
tarts is offline Find More Posts by tarts
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:38 AM
Registered User
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarts View Post
Would it be possible to convert the code for 18f24J50 or similar new USB PIC? That would be more than two times cheaper.
I'm lacking the development board that supports these chips, so couldn't really comment. However if you want to have a go, feel free
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:27 AM
Registered User
lovefool's Avatar
Japan
Joined Mar 2004
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarts View Post
Would it be possible to convert the code for 18f24J50 or similar new USB PIC? That would be more than two times cheaper.
I am not sure a&a assemble code, bu you may convert Freedom's C18 18F4550 code.

Currently I am working on coding C18 program that convert PPM to HID device on 18F2550, based on Freedom's code. Later I may try to use PIC18F14K50, since this chip is much cheaper in Japan. (170 JPyen)
lovefool is offline Find More Posts by lovefool
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
5 Posts
Hi!

Can you post the link?
This is what im looking for..
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom2000 View Post
I have found the solution while crawling in microchip's forum

It's rather tricky, but following the USB specs it works

I have now a double 8 channels joystick, recognized by FMS as a dual 6 channels.




JP
stalker007 is offline Find More Posts by stalker007
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:09 PM
Registered User
freedom2000's Avatar
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker007 View Post
Hi!

Can you post the link?
This is what im looking for..
Thanks.
The previous link was updated with the all the code : http://freedom2000.free.fr/JP_PPM2Jo...h_Joystick.zip

Merry Xmas
JP
freedom2000 is offline Find More Posts by freedom2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:26 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
5 Posts
Thanks bro!

The joytester is working fine but how could i link my Momo Streering wheel to the transmitter?Is it possible?
Could you tell me how this thing works?

Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom2000 View Post
The previous link was updated with the all the code : http://freedom2000.free.fr/JP_PPM2Jo...h_Joystick.zip

Merry Xmas
JP
stalker007 is offline Find More Posts by stalker007
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:53 AM
Registered User
freedom2000's Avatar
Joined Aug 2007
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker007 View Post
Thanks bro!

The joytester is working fine but how could i link my Momo Streering wheel to the transmitter?Is it possible?
Could you tell me how this thing works?

Thanks.
Connecting a joystick to a Tx is not that simple...
The Joystick is a USB HID device so you need a computer able to understand this USB protocol.
I know that you can use a MCU to do this interface but I don'know how...

So the solution that I have implemented right now is to use a laptop PC between the joystick and the MCU. The MCU itself being connected to the Tx.

You can see how it works here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=289

JP
freedom2000 is offline Find More Posts by freedom2000
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question JW24RC - Model RC to USB joystick converter chip skratchbilder Radios 0 Dec 16, 2004 07:43 PM
Quattro USB adapter: RC, Analog Joystick -> USB PiNa Simulators 2 Sep 22, 2004 01:09 PM
Radio Shack USB joystick adapter. HankF Simulators 0 Jul 23, 2003 01:46 PM