HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,256 Posts
I maidened the Ugly Stick today! It flew pretty well but I had a ton of flutter in the ailerons. I have hopefully fixed the flutter and will be trying it again tomorrow if the weather holds out. I think I did a pretty good job for my first scratch build. Next time I am going to order some MPF. Here are a couple of shots of my stick. I have nicknamed it the Hulk Stick. Thanks again for sharing your plans!
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:38 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Another in progress

Oh, I think this thread will be around for a lot longer there PMJASS. I just started one a couple of weeks ago. My first build in about 25 years. I have always loved the "stick" design and have wanted to build an electric for years now. So I have been watching and studying this thread for some time and finally made the leap...Fus is done, now I'm slotting the wing for C-rods. I have missed building soooo much. Having a blast!

I am having difficulty finding suitable landing gear. The link in this thread goes to a page that has been out of stock for a long time. Does anyone have an updated site to get these from?
nduck is offline Find More Posts by nduck
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:49 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nduck View Post
Oh, I think this thread will be around for a lot longer there PMJASS. I just started one a couple of weeks ago. My first build in about 25 years. I have always loved the "stick" design and have wanted to build an electric for years now. So I have been watching and studying this thread for some time and finally made the leap...Fus is done, now I'm slotting the wing for C-rods. I have missed building soooo much. Having a blast!

I am having difficulty finding suitable landing gear. The link in this thread goes to a page that has been out of stock for a long time. Does anyone have an updated site to get these from?
Try here. These guys are kinda local to me well they are in the same state. I just got an order from them the other week for misc. parts. They shipped it same day and I got my order the next day. Great customer service too.

Just noticed they have two sets, one is straight and one is rounded. The straight set is back ordered but the rounded set is in stock. I guess it all depends how you want your gear to look.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-400-c...ed-p-1815.html
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:02 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,435 Posts
Consider making your own from sheet aluminum or music wire. hardware store aluminum is plenty tough for these planes
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Judging by the listed sizes, I think the curved ones are too large, or too small for this plane. They say they are for a "400" size plane but the sizes differ greatly. I may have to make my own. I own a machine shop, but I do CNC milling and lathe work, not forming. If the temper is too high the aluminum snaps, and too low and it is so soft it has no strength. Maybe for this light of a plane it won't matter. Still it would be nice to just buy the ones called out...Just can't seem to find them anywhere.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Ahh, I just found the curved ones that are very near the same size as the originals. Thanks. They weigh a little more, but not much.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 04:02 AM
South Africa, GP, Krugersdorp
Joined Jul 2012
167 Posts
This is great looking stick,must build one soon.Luckely I have every thing at home that I need for this build.
Pics soon.
SONICX is offline Find More Posts by SONICX
Old Nov 03, 2013, 12:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
31 Posts
8.5x11 be OK.
Slamn Sammy is offline Find More Posts by Slamn Sammy
Old Nov 04, 2013, 03:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Hello guys,

Can anyone plz tell me a rough estimate of what such a build will cost considering you start from 0 without having absolutely anything ?

Thanks
biomecanoid is offline Find More Posts by biomecanoid
Old Nov 05, 2013, 02:59 PM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomecanoid View Post
Hello guys,

Can anyone plz tell me a rough estimate of what such a build will cost considering you start from 0 without having absolutely anything ?

Thanks
Estimated

$50 TX & RX (Used)
$10 Esc
$15 Electric Motor
$20 4 servos
$10 Battery
$15 Charger
$20 $ Tree Foam, Tape, Glue
$20 Hardware & Hobby store items

$260 But some of that (Tx, Rx, Charger) are entry costs necessary for any plane.

Did I miss anything?

For a suggestion if you have no experience flying, you might want to buy something like a Slowstick kit with everything you need less radio batt & charger, for a first project to learn to fly. I still fly mine and I made a flat wing for it to increase performance. The Ugl-E-Stick will be a hand-full setting up CG, Trim, etc. with no flying experience.
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Last edited by Byrdman; Nov 05, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for you reply. Yes its true i don't have much real world experience in flying.

but:

I am not new in the model world so far i had only cars and my first has the Kyosho Raider Pro which i build from scratch when i was around 13-14. So i am able to read and follow through to completion a schematic.

I am a computer guy and one of my other hobbies include making long range ( 10km ) wireless link in the local metropolitan network. So i understand frequencies and can make precision custom electronic builds that can withstand the forces of nature ( snow, rain, cold, heat).

I have all the tools i need since i make custom stuff since ever.

I have lots of hours in computer flight sims ( if that counts for anything ) and have flown little toy helis and planes

So i guess its time to get serious and go a step further and build my own plane.
A Slowstick to be honest looks too easy and not at all exciting. I like to learn new things and an UglyStick looks like a nice challenge

After careful reading of the posts here and looking at the plans i realized that something is missing ( if i may say so ) and that is ground steering. Searching of ways to address this issue i found a really simple way to do it which can apply to all of you that already have your planes and that is attaching one more control rod to your tail servo that controls the rudder

See attached pictures:
Last edited by biomecanoid; Nov 05, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 07:25 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,435 Posts
tail gear

this plane is so light that the rudder will direct it without a wheel
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:09 AM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Well if its so light that it can be turned just by the rudder thats good but i still think thats a nice addition to keep the tail safe.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:56 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomecanoid View Post
Well if its so light that it can be turned just by the rudder thats good but i still think thats a nice addition to keep the tail safe.
just bend a small piece of music wire if you want quick and easy, or put a tail wheel on if you want like your picture. It's your world, boss...
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:05 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,435 Posts
Protecting the foam at the tail is nice to do too