HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:50 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,521 Posts
Discussion
Programming Help - Anyone Experienced with ArduPlane Code?

I'm working on a model of the X-47B, and plan to use an APM 2.5 for stabilization and maybe a bit of autonomous flight. However, this airplane has an unusual control scheme and I need to figure out a way to implement it in ArduPlane. There are three control surfaces on each side, an inboard elevator, an outboard aileron, and a drag spoiler on the top of the wing ahead of the aileron. The layout is as follows:

Elevator control: separate from the ailerons, work as normal (no elevon mixing).

Aileron control: ailerons move as normal, plus the drag spoiler inside the turn opens upward a bit to counter adverse yaw.

Rudder control: on the side of the desired yaw, the aileron opens downward and the drag spoiler opens upward. No change to the control surfaces on the opposite wing.

"Flaps" (optional): opposing aileron/spoiler deflection like in yaw control, but the surfaces open on both wings simultaneously for extra drag.

Can anyone help me find a way to accomplish this mixing with the APM so that it applies to both manual and autonomous control modes? From looking at the code, I can't seem to find where I can combine and modify the control commands before they are written to the servos. Any assistance would be appreciated!
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:44 AM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
924 Posts
The APM dev list is here (it's open to all). That's the best place to ask. Also, most of the APM dev community is at DIY Drones, not here, so you'll find better support there.
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:39 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Aug 2010
72 Posts
You would want to write an output mixer similar to the vtail and elevon mixing we have. It is equivalent to having a hardware mixer on the output.
jschall is offline Find More Posts by jschall
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:40 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschall View Post
You would want to write an output mixer similar to the vtail and elevon mixing we have. It is equivalent to having a hardware mixer on the output.
Yes, that's the goal. I'm just having some trouble finding the appropriate place in the code to put the output mixer, and how to implement it. It's been a while since I've coded anything in C.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092