HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2014, 04:46 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
571 Posts
Discussion
Question about throttle and pitch curves - need some help

i have a Heli-Max EC145 that when i am hovering the throttle stick is about 5/8 of the way up and as the battery goes down in charge i have to give about 3/4 throttle to maintain hover.

i thinking of changing the throttle and pitch curves to get more pitch at 1/2 throttle but i don't know if this is the proper thing to do or how much to change these settings.

here are my current settings;

pitch curve
1 2 3 4 5
45 50 55 62 70

throttle curve
1 2 3 4 5
0 50 75 85 100
WhiteCloud is online now Find More Posts by WhiteCloud
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2014, 08:04 PM
Groovin', not fishin'
United States, CA, Twain Harte
Joined Feb 2014
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCloud View Post
i have a Heli-Max EC145 that when i am hovering the throttle stick is about 5/8 of the way up and as the battery goes down in charge i have to give about 3/4 throttle to maintain hover.

i thinking of changing the throttle and pitch curves to get more pitch at 1/2 throttle but i don't know if this is the proper thing to do or how much to change these settings.

here are my current settings;

pitch curve
1 2 3 4 5
45 50 55 62 70

throttle curve
1 2 3 4 5
0 50 75 85 100
Try changing your pitch curve VERY slightly. As the battery loses its charge and voltage to the motor drops, rotor head sped will drop and you'll lose lift. You'll still have gyro balance with the tail motor because its speed/thrust will drop proportionately with the main motor's rotational speed.

Hope this helps.

Steve
bassman12350 is online now Find More Posts by bassman12350
Old Apr 10, 2014, 08:35 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman12350 View Post
Try changing your pitch curve VERY slightly. As the battery loses its charge and voltage to the motor drops, rotor head sped will drop and you'll lose lift. You'll still have gyro balance with the tail motor because its speed/thrust will drop proportionately with the main motor's rotational speed.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Hey, thanks for the help!

i will try what you suggested, i noticed in the manual for the EC145 the pitch settings for the DX6i radio were just slightly different than the radio that i got with the heli;

42 50 56 66 77

just slightly increased from the suggested settings from the included radio
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:41 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,480 Posts
at half throttle you should have 0 pitch in your blades, If you ever want to fly 3d you need to learn to fly like this, cause it will mess u up later. I know i have done this when I first started out.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:16 PM
Ncpx, Super CP, 130x, NQX
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
Yes, you want 50% at half throttle. Try an S-Curve. For pitch curve try 0,15,50,85,100 this will make the pitch change greater near center stick.
yours truly is offline Find More Posts by yours truly
Old Apr 13, 2014, 01:25 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yours truly View Post
Yes, you want 50% at half throttle. Try an S-Curve. For pitch curve try 0,15,50,85,100 this will make the pitch change greater near center stick.
if i change to this pitch curve won't it put more of a load on the motor without also changing the throttle curve? i am looking for a set-up for just relaxed flying.

(by the way, i will not be doing any 3D flying, i'm "old" and i don't have the reactions anymore to even consider it, plus i enjoy just putt-putting around inside my house and outside in figure 8's. i fly my heli's like i ride my Suzuki bandit 1250 motorcycle, both capable of way more performance but with an old man behind the wheel )
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:05 PM
Ncpx, Super CP, 130x, NQX
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2013
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCloud View Post
if i change to this pitch curve won't it put more of a load on the motor without also changing the throttle curve? i am looking for a set-up for just relaxed flying.

(by the way, i will not be doing any 3D flying, i'm "old" and i don't have the reactions anymore to even consider it, plus i enjoy just putt-putting around inside my house and outside in figure 8's. i fly my heli's like i ride my Suzuki bandit 1250 motorcycle, both capable of way more performance but with an old man behind the wheel )
Lol, well then maybe the S curve is not for you then. Honestly if you don't fly 3D then you don't need negative pitch. I would start your pitch curve at 30-40 or so... 0 being full negative and 100 being full positive, 50 being neutral pitch. This way you have a little negative just to help stick to the ground during landing/take offs. As for throttle curve I really am not that great yet with normal mode setups as I fly in IU all the time. Honestly it's easier to control a heli at higher head speeds so even if I were sport flying I would still use IU and just tone down DR and Expo and take away the negative pitch.
yours truly is offline Find More Posts by yours truly