HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:22 PM
Up Up and Away!
United States, OR, Cottage Grove
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Build Log
First Foamie - Spitfire from HJ Plans

OK, here it is, my first adventure into foamie construction. I have started with Hans-Joachim Walter Drawings done under pressure and then just "Winging" it. I have cut out everything from the thicknesses of Depron that he stated in his plans and now I am figuring out how to put it all together. The first step will be to construct the wing. I have scaled it down to a 43" wing span. (Plotted the PDF on a 22" x 53" drawing from a plotter with a roll. That scaled it wonderfully.

What I am trying to determine now is the airfoil needed and the the number and size needed for each half. I have also noticed that some have built this with larger than original aircraft scaled ailerons. I am not trying to build a perfect replica on this attempt. What is most important is that it flies well. I have been working with delta wings for a long time and am really looking forward to something without elevons!

A question I want to throw out there is; can I get away with a flat bottom wing for this size aircraft and still get good flight? My knowledge of airfoil design is minimal.
Tilly DeHun is offline Find More Posts by Tilly DeHun
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:34 PM
Growing with the hobby
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2013
22 Posts
Yes, a flat wing will work just fine. Do you want the plane to look more scale? or more on performance? for scale you might want to do a bit of research on the airfoil and how to do it. If you want a bit of performance and aerobatics you might want to go with a KFm airfoil.
Jaflyer is offline Find More Posts by Jaflyer
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:19 AM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Thank you Jaflyer. I have decided to go with a flat wing this time. I am going to make the wing detachable so I can build a new later. since I am new at this, a flat bottom wing was a little easier to construct. I will update the post soon with more pictures.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:15 PM
Growing with the hobby
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2013
22 Posts
Can't wait to see the results.
Jaflyer is offline Find More Posts by Jaflyer
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
OK here is an update of the progress. I decided to go with a flat bottom wing design. One of the primary reasons was was ease of construction. This being my first Depron foam aircraft I did not want to complicate the matter. I will also probably make the wing detachable so I can always build a new wing with a different airfoil. I think I need to learn a little CAD so I can make my own drawings and cutout templates. (So where are are the free/open source CAD apps?).

Attached are some latest pics with descriptive captions.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:29 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,632 Posts
An airfoiled wing.. ie: two skins separated by a spar will give far superior performance results to a KFM effort.. Looks better too :-)
Learning adequate CAD skills is a multi months if not years adventure.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:04 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
OK, Here is my progress report. I received my much anticipated package from Tower Hobbies consisting of my new motor, speed control, battery, prop, spinner and a couple of servos. (I love getting new toy parts in the mail!). The wing is progressing with a few little glitches. I made the mistake of cutting the bottom and top of the wing the same size out of 3 mm Depron. Since a wing has a greater surface area on the top I am going to need to re-cut the pieces. It will be better now anyway to piece them together because of the irregular shape. I will post when I get there.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:37 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Progress Report

Progress is slow because of the custom nature of this plane and my inexperience with working with Depron. I ordered the landing gear and some horns, control rods, pass-throughs and a tail drag. I also ordered a battery charger/balancer to keep my batteries in good shape. I just bought two new LiPo's and I want them to last given the cost. Check out the picture captions for the update.

Any input or suggestions are warmly welcome!
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Picking back up

Greetings,

Sorry for the long delay. I have been battling some medical issues that made working on RC a low priority. The sun has started shining again here in Oregon and it has inspired me to work on the Spitfire again. I just ordered some new parts and made some new design decisions. I will be posting pictures as soon as things start looking different.

Tilly