HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2002, 10:03 PM
Ronplanes
NY, LONG Island
Joined Jan 2001
116 Posts
coroplast verses foamboard

I built 2 Identical planes from trezzas plans, they both fly good except the coroplast is a little harder to work with and is faster, but the foamboard is more flight stable. Has anyone else built a plane with foamboard or coroplast? If so send a picture or plans and give an opinion about useing it. ronplanes@cs.com
TeddyTyler is offline Find More Posts by TeddyTyler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2002, 04:42 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
Hey cool! Well done Teddy, great to see someone else building that design

What are your opinions on the handling? I was very pleasantly surprised after building it.
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Oct 14, 2002, 06:02 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I've done both. Coroplast is a little heavier but will hold up better on crashes. Lately, I've been building coro fuses and fan fold for wings and tail. Take a look at the "Enigma". Coro fuse and fan fold wings. Speed 480 w/ 7x4 folding prop. It flies pretty good
but duration is short with 600 AE's...

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Oct 14, 2002, 09:35 AM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
I was working on a coro/foam plane roughly based on Trizza's design to use with a speed 400 motor. I built a 5" chord 36" long wing from fan fold and then a box fuse from clear 2mm coro. My wing uses a 1/4" wood dowel as a spar and with tape its strong enough that I can't bend or twist it ... but it is fairly lite. I think I'll use fan fold for the tail feathers because 2mm coro is a little flimsy for that purpose.

I like coro for fuses because it is quick building and super tough. I just cut, score, bend and tape.

Check out http://www.spadtothebone.com for all the info you could ever hope to find on building with coro. It's mostly aimed for fuel engine building but they have occassionally showcased an electric design ( such as Trizza's ) and even gliders. Almost any of their designs such as the Dogfighter, Friday Night Special, Dagger, etc could be built from fan fold and powered with an electric motor.

Nice looking plane by the way!

Eddie
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old Oct 15, 2002, 01:54 AM
Ronplanes
NY, LONG Island
Joined Jan 2001
116 Posts
foam board and coroplast

Quote:
Originally posted by Trizza
Hey cool! Well done Teddy, great to see someone else building that design

What are your opinions on the handling? I was very pleasantly surprised after building it.
Hi trezza, your plans for the coroplast are great ,and the plane flys good and are quite fast. with a 6 volt motor and 7 cells and a gunther push on prop like a zaggi prop.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:02 PM
Ronplanes
NY, LONG Island
Joined Jan 2001
116 Posts
trailng edge of pink fan fold

Quote:
Originally posted by LuckyArmpit
I've done both. Coroplast is a little heavier but will hold up better on crashes. Lately, I've been building coro fuses and fan fold for wings and tail. Take a look at the "Enigma". Coro fuse and fan fold wings. Speed 480 w/ 7x4 folding prop. It flies pretty good
but duration is short with 600 AE's...

Dave...
Subj: trailing edge thick fan fold
Date: 10/17/02 9:51:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time
how do you tapper the thick fan fold foam when doubled over?
Last edited by TeddyTyler; Oct 17, 2002 at 10:09 PM.